Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to replace their spark plugs or have any info how to do it. The front three look easy but the back three look like a challenge.:8: :8:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah the rear bank involves removing a lot of vacuum plumbing and the intake manifold plenum. I am not aware of any Murano owner doing this yet, but I did find a nice writeup on a 2002 Maxima, which has essentially the same engine.

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/SparkPlugReplacement.htm

The difficulty of doing the plugs would lead me to wait as long as possible before replacing them.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Stoker,

As I am sure you are aware, you don't need to worry about spark plug replacement until 105,000 miles, regardless of whether you elect to follow maintenance schedule 1 or 2.

The Service Manual lists three steps for removing the spark plugs: 1) Remove engine cover, 2) Remove ignition coil(s), 3) Remove spark plug using 16mm spark plug wrench.

However, according to the Service Manual, in order to remove the rear ignition coils you need to: 1) Remove front wiper arm and extension cowl top (lower and upper), 2) Remove intake manifold collectors (upper and lower), 3) Move aside harness, harness bracket and hoses located above ignition coil, 4) Disconnect harness connector from ignition coil.

Is that enough to scare you away?? :eek:

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:

-njjoe

Why? Just a nice weekend job to take mind off work problems...

Seriously, once every 105,000 miles it should not be that a big deal.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
njjoe said:
Stoker,

As I am sure you are aware, you don't need to worry about spark plug replacement until 105,000 miles, regardless of whether you elect to follow maintenance schedule 1 or 2.

The Service Manual lists three steps for removing the spark plugs: 1) Remove engine cover, 2) Remove ignition coil(s), 3) Remove spark plug using 16mm spark plug wrench.

However, according to the Service Manual, in order to remove the rear ignition coils you need to: 1) Remove front wiper arm and extension cowl top (lower and upper), 2) Remove intake manifold collectors (upper and lower), 3) Move aside harness, harness bracket and hoses located above ignition coil, 4) Disconnect harness connector from ignition coil.

NJJOE
Yea you did scare me enough not to do the back three plugs, and I thought doing the plugs on my Grand Caravan was tough. I have used Playtime plated plugs in my Jetta for a long time and I generally get 100,000 KMs( 62500 miles) out of them before the plugs burn out. In reading the maintenance plans for Canadian models they are recommending to change the plugs at 48000Kms (29500 miles) looks like a money maker for the dealership.

Having never run a car with PPP's for 100,000 miles( 162500 Kms) I would be interested if that is really possible.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nissmo said:
@100k you will only have to do it once.
Just once?!? What do you mean? Do you plan on getting rid of your MO before 200,000 miles?!? :2:

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It is likely that the plugs will continue to function for 100,000 miles, but with a loss of efficiency as the miles pile up. The difference is probably minimal though, and the computer will adjust settings to prevent you from ever feeling it.

The real issue is - will the plugs even come out at 100,000 miles? As Cartalk's Tom and Ray like to say, after 10 years or 100,000 miles, "the plugs would have become one with the engine.!"

I hope Nissan used some really good antiseize on those threads!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Ya got to keep the MO after 200K... it will just be getting past the break-in. :2:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I had OEM, 100,000 mile, platinum plug in my 96 Chevy Blazer. I replaced them myself which involved obtaining access from the wheel wells. I remember that I was unable to remove one of the six plugs because it may have involved disconnecting the steering link - so I left it. I ended up driving that think up to 187,000 miles and the engine performed like the day I bought it.

Regarding the seize factor, the removal of those plugs at approximately 100,000 miles was not too different from the norm - just some busted up knuckles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getting my plugs changed

I'm at 105k mikes and having my plugs changed. I'm not doing this at my dealership because I lost trust in them and am taking it to a guy that has performed all my major repairs on my other cars for the last 8 years. He works mainly import cars...and I've trusted his repairs in the past...

He told me getting to the rear plugs involved removing the intake and valve covers. He told me my plugs up from are dry but the ones on the back were very wet.

There is a part called the "spark plug tube seal". I can't visuallize what the part looks like but he said it along with the valve cover gasket keeps the oil away from the plugs.

The part cannot be purchaed seperately and is part of the valve cover assembly with costs $183...each!

The dealership was the only place he could order the part and they don't carry it in stock since there hasn't been any regular demand for it.

I think I'm blazing the trail here as far as this type of repair so I thought I'd post this experience.

g

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Getting my plugs changed

teding said:
There is a part called the "spark plug tube seal". I can't visualize what the part looks like but he said it along with the valve cover gasket keeps the oil away from the plugs.
Now you can visualize it...

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmm... they look mighty separate from the valve cover to me. The valve cover is not even in the illustration.

Maybe they meant that they can be obtained only as part of the valve cover gasket KIT.

$183 for a set of gaskets? Oh yeah. We're talking Nissan parts!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Hmm... they look mighty separate from the valve cover to me. The valve cover is not even in the illustration.

Maybe they meant that they can be obtained only as part of the valve cover gasket KIT.

$183 for a set of gaskets? Oh yeah. We're talking Nissan parts!
The tubes, like the valve cover gaskets, are not reusable. Since they are replaced whenever the valve cover is removed it makes sense to package the tubes with the valve-cover gaskets.

I am not surprised about the costs. I would love to know what it costs to build a complete Murano from parts obtained solely from the dealer's parts department. My guess is somewhere new half a mil!

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
WrenchGremlin-

:29: Excellent job!!!

I suggest you post this as a stand-alone thread in the Maintenance section and recommend that the Moderators make it a sticky.

Well done!!

-njjoe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts