Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the patent office:

Click here

A spark delivery system for generating a spark using a laser beam is provided, the spark delivery system including a laser light source and a laser delivery assembly. The laser delivery assembly includes a hollow fiber and a launch assembly comprising launch focusing optics to input the laser beam in the hollow fiber. In addition, the laser delivery assembly includes exit focusing optics that demagnify an exit beam of laser light from the hollow fiber, thereby increasing the intensity of the laser beam and creating a spark. In accordance with embodiments of the present invention, the assembly may be used to create a spark in a combustion engine. In accordance with other embodiments of the present invention, a method of using the spark delivery system is provided. In addition, a method of choosing an appropriate fiber for creating a spark using a laser beam is also presented.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
And I hope they provide a way for cleaning the thing when carbon builds up on it....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
zebelkhan said:
And I hope they provide a way for cleaning the thing when carbon builds up on it....
Nah... Nissan will simply charge you $100 a pop to replace them. :4:

It's nice technology. Unfortunately there is no foreseeable need for it in the automotive industry, not with spark plugs costing so little and lasting over 100,000 miles.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I agree with njjoe. When is the last time you heard that a spark plug failed? Esp the excellent stock NGK platinums on Nissans. Ironically, the actual product name for the NGK platinums, if you buy them over the counter, is "NGK laser platinum." I had to buy these for my Maxima a few years ago. :D

Now if actual laser sparkplugs permit manufacturers to get more horsepower and better fuel economy, then I'm all for it.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Possible if it can ignite a larger area then it is conceivable to increase the air to fuel ratio, thinking pre-combustion chamber here. My laser knowledge is a little outdated but the most efficient laser I knew about years ago was only about 10% efficient, electrical to light energy conversion efficiency. So if you needed 10 watts for a spark coil the laser would need 100 watts to produce the same equivalent energy in photons.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A typical university patent. A solution looking for a problem that does not exist. And the "solution" creates a number of new problems.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If only these plugs could magically make the fuel shield look nicer...:2:

I agree with all, a solution to a problem that doesn't need fixing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
5,244 Posts
Coness said:
If only these plugs could magically make the fuel shield look nicer...:2:

I agree with all, a solution to a problem that doesn't need fixing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Agree with both statements. Especially with the first one..:(

Just had my shield installed even though I told them not to. They do not see anything wrong with it. I guess they are blind!:3:

I am not sure what I am going to do this afternoon when I will collect my car........the shield is simply terrifying! It is like a really bad joke! A nightmare!

Why don’t we start bombarding Nissan with phone calls and emails. Maybe this will change something. What about class action – the shield destroyed the “sculpture in motion” that Murano was advertised for. We need to be compensated……

Oh, the patent..........it will go unnoticed. It will be commercial fiasco.....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Kris said:
........the shield is simply terrifying! It is like a really bad joke! A nightmare!

Why don’t we start bombarding Nissan with phone calls and emails. Maybe this will change something. What about class action – the shield destroyed the “sculpture in motion” that Murano was advertised for. We need to be compensated……
I have not had the shield yet but I know they will put it on on my next oil change. So I am in with the class action.....:4:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts