Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I last had a maintenance 3, I was going to replace the spark plugs. This was at 48,000km, but they told me the plugs were good until 160,000km(!).

They also told me they inspect and clean the plugs, and that they should be fine for quite some time. I didn't realize at the time that 3 of the plugs required removal of a plenum to get to. When I asked this time if they inspect all of them, they said no, only the front 3.

The plugs are double platinum (platinum center and ground electrodes). I know with the standard (non platinum) Champion plugs I used in my Jeep, they needed replacement every 36,000km.

What are people's thoughts on when to change the plugs in the Murano? I'm thinking I'll go with 100,000km (60,000 miles).

·
5,268 Posts
my understanding is that they are good for 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My question is how much will they charge for plugs (replacement at the Dealer) on the Murano?
Bob1

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
100,000 miles = 160,000km, which is what they recommend. I drive very hard though, and will change mine sooner. How much sooner I'm not sure.

I was given an estimate (not a quote, just an educated guess) at over $100 CAN.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Since you drive it hard I would suspect you would be more likely to notice a degradation in performance based on a fouled plug. I'd stick with the manufacturer's recommendation unless you feel there is a problem.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spark plugs are something I'm not too sure about. I guess basically plugs either work or not, and when not, I'd really notice?

In other words, I'm worried about a slow degradation in performance. If that's not going to happen, but rather a sudden drop in erformance that I'd notice, I guess I probably will stick with the recommended.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Some vehicles are more prone to ignition problems. With the cleaner burning engine/fuels and better materials used in plugs - the 100K mile mark isn't abnormal (infact - most manufacturers are doing it).

Spark plugs will 'wear' out. It can be a slow change - however....you are more than likely to notice drivability issues.

There is a good website on reading spark plugs. You can probably get buy with just checking the 3 - to tell the general condition of all plugs. If you have one bad which will cause a misfire - which you will feel and it isn't on the front 3 - you might as well look at the back 3. Since you're there - you might as well change them.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm

It is more about bike plugs - but some great reading.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting read, although I don't get to look at the plugs. I might ask for them when I have them changed, just so I can see what they look like. I guess I'll go with the recommended replacement interval, unless I notice misfires first. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You can request any part that is replaced on your vehicle. I think in the US it is the law they either give it to you or show it. I'm sure any decent dealer would show you the parts as they can't (shouldn't) reuse them.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure my dealer would show me. They're very receptive to special requests.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
When I last had a maintenance 3, I was going to replace the spark plugs. This was at 48,000km, but they told me the plugs were good until 160,000km(!).

They also told me they inspect and clean the plugs, and that they should be fine for quite some time. I didn't realize at the time that 3 of the plugs required removal of a plenum to get to. When I asked this time if they inspect all of them, they said no, only the front 3.

The plugs are double platinum (platinum center and ground electrodes). I know with the standard (non platinum) Champion plugs I used in my Jeep, they needed replacement every 36,000km.

What are people's thoughts on when to change the plugs in the Murano? I'm thinking I'll go with 100,000km (60,000 miles).
My VW has Platinum plated plugs and they do last for 100,000Km, after that that point you do notice degraded engine preformance i.e. hesitation when leaving an intersection on a green light and poor fuel economy. That is my VW experience, but I am planning to change my plugs at 100,000 KM.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been noticing hesitation when leaving lights, but I didn't think of the spark plugs causing that. It started around 80,000km I think. It feels like the engine stumbles, then catches up. I've also had an ongoing issue of almost stalling most times I start the vehicle. I think I'll change them at my next maintenance (which will be a major one anyway) and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Will the plugs last until 100,000 miles? Yes. Will performance degrade as the plugs get older? Also yes.

Bottom line is that the computer can compensate for aging plugs but no plug will perform as well at high mileage as when they are new. I plan on replacing my plugs at half those intervals. Yeah its costly due to the boneheaded design of the rear bank, but I want to keep the car in tip top condition.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I doubt anyone could ever kill bosch platinum +4 plugs....at least before you have to pull the engine for something else. If I had to replace mine, that is what I would use. I will be replacing my wife's plugs soon and that is what I'm using, betcha I will never have to do it again.
;)

·
5,268 Posts
How bosch platinum +4 compare to Murano OEM. It would be interesting to know.....

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried the +4s in my Cherokee, and they sucked. Not saying they wouldn't work in the Murano, but I took them out of the Jeep in less than 5,000km.

·
5,268 Posts
Why?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
My experience with my Maxima and reports from Maxima.org have convinced me that the stock NGK Laser Platinums are the best for the VQ engine.

Some Maxima owners who have used non stock plugs have had drivability issues or poor mileage.

·
5,268 Posts
So once again OEM wins..........

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Basically after about 2,000km, the engine started misfiring and losing power. As in the above case, the stock plugs worked best (albeit only for 36,000km at a time!).

Given that the stock Murano plugs seem to last at least 100,000km, I'll just put those in again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts