Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the base four speaker setup that needs improvement and I am not confident with the answers from the local audio shops(two shops said they didn't believe there were 6 x 9s up front) and they are steering me to the products they have on hand of course.

I am looking at infinity's and would like a component set up front but am limited with market selection using 6 x 9s. Would 6.5 inch fit or would the smaller 5x7s be satisfactory? The rear 6.5s are no problem.

It looks as though I need to keep the head unit and add an amp if necessary. I am surprised with the power of the stock system and am not looking for more volume just better quality sound.

I tried some searches as I know this may be elementary but could not piece enough info together

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
You will need the PAC adapter, it has line out RCA sockets for adding on amps.

You certainly will find oodles of info here if you look around. From sub amps, to door speaker change outs, to even what ufarad cap to put on the dash tweeters to filter out the lows and clean them up for brilliance.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1449&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

One of our members did a very nice photo journal of his upgrade.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1785&highlight=generator

Check it out!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I am still on the lookout for a reasonable priced direct bolt in replacement for the rear door speakers, same impedance, sensitivity, etc. any suggetions, Model Numbers, source, etc.. Thanks, Don :D

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Are they really 6x9" in the front of non-Bose Muranos? They're 6.5" in the front of Bose Muranos, I can't see them changing the door layout for that.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Are they really 6x9" in the front of non-Bose Muranos? They're 6.5" in the front of Bose Muranos, I can't see them changing the door layout for that."

Yes, at first I believed the pros. Just as I was about to order some infinity Kappa 6.5s I popped the front door finisher at the bottom and saw that they were eliptical speakers six inches accross and 8-9 inches high per my tape measure that I slid up there.

I have also found a site that lists the Murano fronts As having the 6 X 9.

This is my question as the 6 X 9 size is limited in selection as far as component speakers go. Will I have trouble fitting 6.5 inch round speakers? . My vehicle is an 05 S:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I didn't know that there were 6x9's there....hmmmm.

I would get a decent 3 way with crossovers built in. There are a billion different kinds. Go to a shop and listen--bring a Fave CD so you will have some reference.

·
4,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
mine is an SL, so I guess they are oval, right Don?
and if oval, what size......6x9? I didn't see that in ur link.

·
4,994 Posts
Are you ready for this, Oval unless it's a Bose then it's round. 6.5 if round and IMO 6x9 oval :D

·
4,994 Posts
GripperDon said:
Are you ready for this, Oval unless it's a Bose then it's round. 6.5 if round and IMO 6x9 oval :D
Now I still ned a recomendation that will work with the Bose Amp for the Rear doors. Thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
okay...mine is oem, not Bose, I had thought you knew that.
Now of course I have an amp wired into the rear speaker supply for my subs.

Now about your 6 1/2's... maybe these?

Or these?

Both seem like very nice speakers to me, but I would have to listen to them to be sure which I would choose.
:D

·
4,994 Posts
mgthe3 A couple of very nice recommendations and I appreciate it. I have got to determine the impedance of the rear door MO speakers and then I think you have me set to go. Don :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
GripperDon said:
mgthe3 A couple of very nice recommendations and I appreciate it. I have got to determine the impedance of the rear door MO speakers and then I think you have me set to go. Don :D
Don I think I remember reading elsewhere on the forum that the cabin speakers were all 2-ohm. With that being said, has anyone tested the Bose amp to see if it uses some sort of regulated power supply? I *doubt* it, but I've been wrong before, like about the subwoofer being dual voice coil. :D

If it is a regulated power supply in the amplifier, you have the choice of literally hundreds of very high quality 4-ohm 6.5" drivers. I've found precious few 2-ohm drivers... the ones I have found are typically component setups. That being said, many component setups have the option of being mounted coaxially.

Just a thought.

·
4,994 Posts
And A good one too. :D

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks mgthe3 and Don for the enlightenment. The PAC adaptor will come in handy for my roady2 also.

Is a good three way speaker as good as a component setup?

·
4,994 Posts
I also use the Delphi XM Roady2 with a PAC here is where I put it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
in relation to ohms....

I know the stock non bose amp doesn't care too much for my sub amp being spliced into the rear door speaker circuit.
Before the amp I could crank it well into the 20's without distortion.
(I think it's clipping but not the usual clipping sound)
After splicing in the amp I am limited to about 19 tops without clipping. It is temp related as well cause I can crank it to 21 for about 2 minutes and then the clipping begins.
I've never been happy with stock amps, they don't want to put out what I want when I am in the mood for some screamin tunes.
My venture van would simply thermal down.....usually in the best part of the tune--but it never clipped, in fact, it would almost make ur ears bleed before it thermaled.

With that being said: I would highly recommend replacing the stock amp all together, that is, if you like to crank ur tunes.

I listen to trance genre mainly. Psychodelic trance is my fave.
It has been all the rage in Ibiza and europe for a few years now.
Astral Projection: FAB Israeli duo best heard recorded, their tracks are waaaay too complicated to mix live.
Paul Van Dyke: arguably the best mixer ever, best heard live, his mixing skills are unparalleled--he drives crowds insane. Brit reviews call it "mental". :)
One of the best tracks I have heard lately is PVD at Nature One. It was recorded at a music fest in an old US ground launched cruise missile base in Germany. Pretty surreal.

Attachments

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GripperDon said:
I also use the Delphi XM Roady2 with a PAC here is where I put it.
That looks good up there. I saw that on an earlier post and looked at placing mine there but I do not have a sun roof and therefore a horizontal surface making it difficult to view. It now sits in fron of the shifter.

On another note, Our electronics guy says that higher impedence speakers will not harm the amp but may be a little less efficient. Lower impedence may cause a problem. I brought that up because you were trying to match a possible lower impedence but I am sure you know that.

·
4,994 Posts
mgthe3 and VFR

First I love the picture, mg

Second VFR, I also liked the idea that the higher impedance being easier on the AMP by reducing the power draw possible, then I worried that the higher impedance in the rear door would make them quite relative to the stock fronts, Then I thought well that what God invented the front back fader control for and I have the level on my separate sub woofer amp to balance that if I need to.

my 04 placement was I think where yours is now.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1664&papass=&sort=1

So I do appreciate you inputs and am going to visit circuit city and best buy just as soon as I get my phone mute relay finished and get a good non paper full range 4 ohm speaker set.

Thanks to all Grip :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
GripperDon said:
mgthe3 and VFR

First I love the picture, mg

Second VFR, I also liked the idea that the higher impedance being easier on the AMP by reducing the power draw possible, then I worried that the higher impedance in the rear door would make them quite relative to the stock fronts, Then I thought well that what God invented the front back fader control for and I have the level on my separate sub woofer amp to balance that if I need to.

my 04 placement was I think where yours is now.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1664&papass=&sort=1

So I do appreciate you inputs and am going to visit circuit city and best buy just as soon as I get my phone mute relay finished and get a good non paper full range 4 ohm speaker set.

Thanks to all Grip :D
I'm sure I don't have to tell you this Grip, but just a thought... if the Bose amp is not a regulated power supply, as you know it will only output half of the rated power at 4 ohms vs. 2. It's a 6-channel, 225W amp, meaning it's currently giving 37.5W per channel into 2 ohms. Into a 4 ohm load that would be 18.75W per channel. You won't find many speakers out there that are efficient at that power -- most quality speakers are going to want 50W-75W RMS... just a reminder! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts