Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people who are installing new amps and speakers doing about speaker wires?

I don't want to cut any harnesses, so I'm wondering, do the OE speaker wires just use a screw terminal on the amp, or is there some other solution?

·
4,664 Posts
Well, there's a couple of ways, besides messing with the OEM wires...

One is to go the show way, Bling Bling, and buy grossly oversized wires that attract those that like the looks and have been led to believe that enormous wires actually make a difference large enough to be heard, and the other way is to actually use something that's heavy enough guage to overcome any significant I2R losses without being so "pretty".

I've found Lamp cord to work well and be inexpensive. Plus it's handy as it's already a pair of wires.

But if you're looking for show, I'm sure there's lots of suggestions on the way! Where's that Welder's cable again... Yeah, 3/4 of inch diameter, that outta do it!
:blingblin

As far as connections, one of the least intrusive ways is to buy the connectors for the Bose at a Stereo shop. Unlike the SAT connector, the others are readily available. If you get both ends, one for the radio the other for the harness, you can "break out" the connections you want while retaining the others and not cutting into the OEM wiring.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jaak said:
But if you're looking for show, I'm sure there's lots of suggestions on the way! Where's that Welder's cable again... Yeah, 3/4 of inch diameter, that outta do it!
:blingblin
I am using welder's cable, but that's for power. And it's not quite big enough, but I won't be running full power. :D

As far as connections, one of the least intrusive ways is to buy the connectors for the Bose at a Stereo shop. Unlike the SAT connector, the others are readily available. If you get both ends, one for the radio the other for the harness, you can "break out" the connections you want while retaining the others and not cutting into the OEM wiring.
Perhaps this is one of the "extra" components in the Nissan PAC interface set.

·
4,664 Posts
Never did check it out... Do you have any more detail on it?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked it out, and it doesn't have a speaker harness connector. It contains:

OEM-1 line output converter, 4 channel with remote turn on.
Harness to connect HU output to OEM-1.
Harness to connect OEM-1 to RCAs.

Now, I have a different question:
Does the harness between the HU and AMP have the same connector on both ends?

Basically I don't want to run new audio input wires to my amp (or take the dash apart), and I would like to retain the balanced lines for the long run front to back, for noise purposes.

·
4,664 Posts
Of course they're not the same.... You can always dream, however!

Finding who makes the connectors on the Nissan's has been a bit of a pain. I've done some searching and did find a company in Taiwan that makes some of the common ones you can buy in a Car audio store, but that's about it...

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
In my last vehicle I had a band pass box with 2-10's and a 250W amp bolted to the side of it. As in the MO it also had the rear 12V outlet which provided power for the amp. Running a remote on was simple from the fuse panel. I used wires from my rear speakers to provide signal, the sub amp had it's own crossover.

Nooooooow.......

Considering that:

1. I have a stock OEM system, not Bose.
2. My MO has only 750 miles on it and I do not relish the thought of yanking apart door panels or the dash to find signal sources.

How da heck am I going to get the signal for the amp?

I see a connector that I believe is for the Bose sub in the spare tire well. Is this connected to the OEM base system? ( I bet not.... :( ) If I can simply splice into the speaker wires under the door entrances, this would be acceptable. Does anyone have the color codes?

The first thing my sons and ALL of my friends asked was "Are ya gonna put the sub innit?"

Nuttin like some cranked Astral Projection to cruise and glide down the road with. :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tyler,

I have that same OEM-1 set-up in my MO. The sound quality is great. You just connect the harness right in the back of the radio and it "Y's" from there...

PM me if you want me to take any pictures of it....or any other info.....it's really easy.....

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaak said:
Of course they're not the same.... You can always dream, however!
So does this mean they aren't the same, or you don't know but assume not?

Because I'd just as soon do some cutting and soldering than take apart my dash and run more wires. I'm planning on keeping the Murano anyway.

·
4,664 Posts
They're different connectors and pinouts.

Attachments

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. That really sucks though. I guess I’ll have to print out the wire colours and warm up the soldering iron before I start this one.

·
4,664 Posts
The service manual gives the colour codes and the connector pinouts, let me know if you need them.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
uh, jaak?
In another thread I was askin about color codes (of an OEM non Bose system) in the harnesses located in the door thresholds.
Would you happen to have them?

·
4,664 Posts
The service manual gives colour codes at the various connectors. When it comes to the harness, you have to know what you're looking for, then you can look for those colours.

So, what are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
why, the signal wires for the left and right rear door speakers, of course.
:)
I did this inna chevy dually one time for a bazooka and it worked out just fine. In the Venture I had, I had to chase the wires to the speakers themselves. I was just wondering if the harness for the speakers in the rear doors went under a door threshold I might be able to more cleanly tap them there for my powered sub. I have a rather large spool of 16 gauge lamp cord to run them to the back with. My sub amp takes either high or low inputs and has it's own crossover, I just hate to see the band pass box wastin away in the garage and know what it will do for the stock system in the MO.

I realized that the jack I had seen in the spare well was a trailer power wire from the posts here, I could use it for the power source.

·
4,664 Posts
I have no idea of what the colour codes are, or where you would find them....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Thank you!

it looks like they put the colors for one side but not the other. Green and green/white. I saw a brown too.....but yes, it isn't clear izzit.
hmmmmm
All the chevy prints I have ever seen traced the colors all the way to the ends....dang it.

But thanks anyway.
;)

·
4,664 Posts
I'm not sure what some of their colour codes are. What's L? Lime Green? Latte? Lavender? But I guess you can figure it out off the connector position and then you're on your way....

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
jaak said:
I'm not sure what some of their colour codes are. What's L? Lime Green? Latte? Lavender? But I guess you can figure it out off the connector position and then you're on your way....
L is blue Jaak..... (what else??lol)

found this in the general section of the fx SM (assume its the s/a the MO, but you might wanna checK...........)

-eS

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Hey Thanks SMS!

You know, I truly believe in RTFM, but I couldn't find that, when I looked... I'm sure it's in there. The type was probably too big. :)

Ahh... I'm so stupid. Of course L is blue... I guess someone figured since B was black, then the second letter would differentiate the... wait, they both have L as the second letter!

I suspect they asked Nissan North America for advice on this one. (I bet it took 8 months for an answer, too...)

:D

Ahh.. I see it's in the General Information section. That's why I couldn't find it. Silly me, I expected it in the electrical sections, but since there's so many, I guess GI makes sense.

:3: Engineers:3: (I can say this, being one...)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts