Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Murano SV. I didn't notice when test driving, but now I'm on familiar roads and realized my speedometer is wrong and jumping. I used a digital speedometer (on my phone), and came to realize that my speedometer is not correct. My speedometer said I was going 40mph, when my digital one said I was going almost 55mph. I also had a moment where I "hit" the gas pedal and my speedometer needle jumped up to 60 and back down to 40. This doesn't seem to be a common problem, as I can't find much info about it at all online. Is this a speed sensor issue? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,648 Posts
Check the tires and wheels and see if they are OEM size. People change wheel and tire sizes without thinking about keeping the speedometer accurate.

I don't recall what drives the speedo,but I'm sure it's an electronic sensor, not a cable (as in older cars.) You can check that after you confirm tire sizes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are stock/OEM tire sizes. That also wouldn't cause the speedometer needle to randomly jump when I "hit" the gas. That's what leads me to believe it's the speed sensor, but I hate to purchase a $150 part and that not be the cause. I'm hoping someone on here has some better insight than myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Murano SV. I didn't notice when test driving, but now I'm on familiar roads and realized my speedometer is wrong and jumping. I used a digital speedometer (on my phone), and came to realize that my speedometer is not correct. My speedometer said I was going 40mph, when my digital one said I was going almost 55mph. I also had a moment where I "hit" the gas pedal and my speedometer needle jumped up to 60 and back down to 40. This doesn't seem to be a common problem, as I can't find much info about it at all online. Is this a speed sensor issue? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Joe
Definitivamente no es el sensor de velocidad... me ah pasado lo mismo con un Murano 2006 4x2 y cambiar el sensor de velocidad no fue la solución adecuada.
Probablemente sea la CVT o quiza algun problema en el tablero del velocimetro.
:|

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I would have seen this an hour or so earlier. I just replaced the speed sensor, which gave me no result. This is a frustrating issue. I did find out that the car was imported from Canada into the US at one point, so could this just be a bad calibration issue?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,195 Posts
Definitivamente no es el sensor de velocidad... me ah pasado lo mismo con un Murano 2006 4x2 y cambiar el sensor de velocidad no fue la solución adecuada.
Probablemente sea la CVT o quiza algun problema en el tablero del velocimetro.
TRANSLATION: Definitely not the speed sensor ... I passed the same thing with a Murano 2006 4x2 and changing the speed sensor was not the right solution.
Probably the CVT or maybe some problem in the speedometer board.

I wish I would have seen this an hour or so earlier. I just replaced the speed sensor, which gave me no result. This is a frustrating issue. I did find out that the car was imported from Canada into the US at one point, so could this just be a bad calibration issue?
Looking at the system, the ABS Actuator/Control Unit takes inputs from each of the 4 wheel speed sensors, calculates the vehicle speed, and sends this signal directly to the speedometer via CAN communication. Thus, the problem is likely somewhere in that circuit. BTW...did you try scanning for codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to update everyone. It was the gauge cluster. When it was transferred to the U.S. from Canada, it was not programmed properly. A new cluster had to be installed with U.S. programming. It is now fixed and works well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hola... yo tengo en Peru un Murano version americana pero no se si es de Canada o EEUU, y tengo el mismo problema en el tablero del velocimetro, como soluciono ese problema ?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,195 Posts
Hola... yo tengo en Peru un Murano version americana pero no se si es de Canada o EEUU, y tengo el mismo problema en el tablero del velocimetro, como soluciono ese problema ?
Hola Jorge, la solución para el póster original de este problema fue instalar un nuevo grupo de instrumentos programado para su región (en su caso, EE. UU.).

TRANSLATION: Hello Jorge, the solution for the original poster of this problem was to install a new instrument cluster that is programmed for his region (in his case, USA).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Because MO might come from Canada would have no barring on your speedometer issue. I have an American MO in Canada and don't exhibit and issues with the speedometer other than its in Miles on the outside and KM on the inside of the speedomemter. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts