Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who change oil and filter at home, how do you remove the splash guard covering the filter? There are these plastic fasteners that are neither phillips nor hex head. Is a special tool required? I know I can probably unscrew the filter without removing the guard but I like to do it with as little spill as possible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Trying to remove the splash guard, really part of the wheel well, would simply be more work than it is worth.

The presence or absence of that piece of plastic would make no difference in the amount of spillage, unless you are concerned that the piece of plastic may knock the filter out of your hand.

The real concern during an oil change is with the location of the filter. It is mounted directly over a frame member. Which means that you are guaranteed that oil will dribble on the frame.

I would (and do) conentrate on minimizing the mess from that.

·
Registered
982 Posts
gang said:
For those who change oil and filter at home, how do you remove the splash guard covering the filter? There are these plastic fasteners that are neither phillips nor hex head. Is a special tool required? I know I can probably unscrew the filter without removing the guard but I like to do it with as little spill as possible.
I agree with UncaDanno... but in order to remove those plastic 'screws/nails' pieces... I have used a small flat head screwdriver put it between the round circle and the flat head plastic washer it's sitting on and 'POP' it out just a little bit, then you pull the whole piece out. Once it's out, you'll see /understand exactly how one of these bolt things work. Just remember, the round circle part gets popped out a little, not all the way... then pull with your hand the hold thing out. (I've also used needle nose pliers to pull the little round part out of the washer part.)

How confusing do I sound? :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UncaDanno said:
....The real concern during an oil change is with the location of the filter. It is mounted directly over a frame member. Which means that you are guaranteed that oil will dribble on the frame.

I would (and do) conentrate on minimizing the mess from that.
I have made a special funnel to address the filter-above-frame issue on my other cars. Basically, it's a funnel with a drain hose connected to redirect the oil. However, I can't use the funnel with the splash guard in place.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I remove the splash guard.

It takes 2 seconds and opens up the view to the oil filter making it very, very easy.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
When I change my oil, I turn the wheel all the way to the right, and remove the splashguard (the post above it correct it takes only seconds). The filter and drain plug is right there - you won't even have to climb under the car to get at anything.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't remove the guard. I find I can easily get to the filter with it in place. I just drap a rag over the beam for easy cleanup.

·
Registered
982 Posts
How much is an oil filter? Also how many quarts /what price is it per quart? I pay $20.99 to get done it at a local place I trust on my past cars. Not sure how I feel about leaving my new SUV with someone now.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
TheGymKid said:
How much is an oil filter? Also how many quarts /what price is it per quart? I pay $20.99 to get done it at a local place I trust on my past cars. Not sure how I feel about leaving my new SUV with someone now.
About $5 for the Nissan oil filter, plus 4.25 quarts of oil. Easy to do yourself, and even using synthetic oil is much cheaper than your $20 (which is actually quite cheap for a full-service oil change).

Plus, you can let it drain longer, you can check everything out yourself, and you know exactly what you're putting into your car.

Of course, the FIRST time you do this, you might spend a little bit more depending on what tools you need to buy. The MO is nice because you don't have to have ramps. But you'll probably need to have an oil filter wrench on hand to remove the old filter (I like the big plier-type because they can get ANY filter off) but you probably don't need one to put the new filter on. You'll need an oil pan, plus make sure you have a good container to store the oil for transport to your local recycling center (gas stations will often take used oil for free as well, but ask before you walk in there with it).

If you do it yourself, just make sure you always have plenty of oil on hand, an extra oil filter in case something gets messed up with the one you're putting on, a NEW crush washer (never re-use the crush washer), and some latex gloves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corin said:

About $5 for the Nissan oil filter, plus 4.25 quarts of oil. Easy to do yourself, and even using synthetic oil is much cheaper than your $20 (which is actually quite cheap for a full-service oil change).
Where do you buy your synthetic oil? I always buy 6-pack Mobil 1 at Costco for about $4.33 /qt. So my total is more than $20. But I think it would cost more at any shop if you ask for synthetic.

I like to do it myself because it's faster than driving to a shop, wait, and driving back. Besides, on Murano, you don't even need a jack.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Corin said:
a NEW crush washer (never re-use the crush washer), and some latex gloves.
I use the same crush washer 3-4 oil changes before replacing. I've never had a leak in 14 years of doing it that way. Just my own personal experience.

I love chaning the oil in this car is sooooo easy!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
gang said:

Where do you buy your synthetic oil? I always buy 6-pack Mobil 1 at Costco for about $4.33 /qt. So my total is more than $20. But I think it would cost more at any shop if you ask for synthetic.
I just bought a couple of 5-quart jugs at WalMart. Right at $20 per jug. It's the only place I've found to get the larger jugs rather than dealing with multiple little ones. We'll have to see how easy it is to measure out 4.25 quarts... ;) I might have to use a "normal" container and a funnel to remove the .75 quart out first, then dump the remainder into the engine. Haven't figured it out yet, because the next oil change I do will be the first time using synthetic and the first time using a big jug.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:

I just bought a couple of 5-quart jugs at WalMart. Right at $20 per jug. It's the only place I've found to get the larger jugs rather than dealing with multiple little ones. We'll have to see how easy it is to measure out 4.25 quarts... ;) I might have to use a "normal" container and a funnel to remove the .75 quart out first, then dump the remainder into the engine. Haven't figured it out yet, because the next oil change I do will be the first time using synthetic and the first time using a big jug.
You don't have to be that precise. DOesn't the jug have a level gauge on the side (where its clear)? You can be off by half a quart and still be fine. I would pour in 4 quarts first, and then add as necessary.

·
5,244 Posts
Corin,

I always buy M1 from Walmart. No problems with "measuring". On the side of the container you will see a transparent line - this is the marker. Just pour in 4 quarts and you will be OK.

Oh - use surgical gloves! Otherwise you will not be able to hold a bottle of beer for a week os so!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts