Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, since I'm having a hard time getting my Nerf bars powder coated... I'm thinking of painting them myself. How hard could it be??? I've read some sites on spray painting and how to do it. This should be interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of paint I should I buy? Also what kind of spray clear coat? Do I need to paint a white primer? I suppose I could hit a real paint store instead of home depot and ask there.

Any advice? (Mopar, you painted your front grill... maybe you can advise me on the best direction I should go in?)

I'm determine to paint them grayish silver to match the push bar. They are black right now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do what the 4x4 enthusiasts do for their nerf and brush guards.

Go to your local Rhino Liner place and ask them how much it would cost.

That stuff can be tinted to match your color if you like and is pretty darn tough. If it can withstand the abuse it takes in a truck bed - it should be fine for the limited wear it get's through the occasional shoe.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Do what the 4x4 enthusiasts do for their nerf and brush guards.

VRSCA said:
Go to your local Rhino Liner place and ask them how much it would cost.

That stuff can be tinted to match your color if you like and is pretty darn tough. If it can withstand the abuse it takes in a truck bed - it should be fine for the limited wear it get's through the occasional shoe.
Probably a good idea...

someone just told me no matter how good of paint I spray it with.. it will probably end up pealing off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Re: Do what the 4x4 enthusiasts do for their nerf and brush guards.

TheGymKid said:

Probably a good idea...

someone just told me no matter how good of paint I spray it will... it will probably end up pealing off. I'm not sure what I should do now :confused:

Well if you're sure you want them painted (and you won't change your mind) have the chrome sandblasted, or use sandpaper on it (60 or 80 grit) - that'll give the rhino or line-x something to "bite" into.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just came back from a collision shop. I asked about getting them painted... they said to do it right, it would be about $200... so I'm giving up and will just keep them black at this point... for now anyhow.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm back on the kick of getting my Nerf Bars painted. I just dropped them off at a local collision / body shop to get them painted.

They are currently black, while my push bar is gray. I asked them to paint um so they match the push bar gray. If they can't match the push bar, to then match the Murano color. I took the plastic steps and caps off... they will remain black. I hope it comes out good, I'm a little nervious about this.

·
Registered
758 Posts
TheGymKid

I think either option will look great. I Like the SS, so I'm going to leave mine the way they are. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just came from the collision shop... we matched the paint and he started painted them. They will be done today, we will let them sit and dry overnight and I'll pick them up on Monday.

Without the NERFs on, I can see the under the Murano very easy... that muffler hangs pretty low. I didn't realize that before.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice Job, GymKid!

I think it is much better looking than the black.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks good! How is the color match with your push bar?

·
Registered
94 Posts
hey GymKid i saw you and your Mo yesterday!! :2: :2: unless theres another Mo like yours around town.. but i must say the paint nerf bars definetely look nice on your Mo.. great color match

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
j a y said:
hey GymKid i saw you and your Mo yesterday!! :2: :2: unless theres another Mo like yours around town.. but i must say the paint nerf bars definetely look nice on your Mo.. great color match
Hey Jay... it's funny a lot of people say to me, hey i saw you at.... I guess my Murano stands out with the Nerfs and push bar. Anyhow... I felt the Nerfs were too light, like a silver color while the push bar was a gray color. I didn't know if it was the light or the shade or my eyes... but I stuck it out for a week... and decided I don't like the look at all. I went back to the collision place who painted the Nerfs... he took them off and the Push bar... and is going to repaint them for me, darker, more gray. He also asked if he can paint the nerf bar so they match perfectly... I asked how much more is that going to cost me... he said don't worry about it, I just want them to match for you. NOW THAT IS SERVICE!! Why can't Nissan service be like that?

He has them now and I'll get them back next week, my Mo looks so naked without the nerfs and push bar... I look like every other Mo on the road.

(I have 5 free tickets to get into Hurricane Harbor at great Adventure... it's a huge water park in Jersey costing about $50 a person to walk in the door... I plan on giving this guy two tickets after he is done for his kids or whatever.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
TheGymKid said:
I have 5 free tickets to get into Hurricane Harbor at great Adventure... I plan on giving this guy two tickets after he is done for his kids...
Yeah, thank him by exposing him to danger.....:2:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zebelkhan said:

Yeah, thank him by exposing him to danger.....:2:
I know your joking... but what danger do you mean? I've never been to the water park. I heard there are alot of water slides and pools... are they dangerous?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What brand are the side nerfs? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the front and side bars, but in black (gonna have to powder coat the front bar).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts