Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in CA and just took my 2018 Murano to the dealer service center, (4500 MIles, bought 2 weeks ago) and there is a squealing from the engine that i immediately thought was the timing belts. Long story short, the dealer's service center told me the noise was normal. It's not the like the whining issue that seems documented, but they tried to tell me it's the Electric Power Steering Pump and it's totally normal. They test drove a 2020 Murano, from the same lot, and they said it did the same thing. I'm really frustrated but my gut says it's not the pump, it is LOUD like a timing belt, only occurs between 1000-2000RPM and mostly when accelerating, in fact stops when i take the foot off the peddle..

Is this common on the Murano's and just bad design from Nissan? Have you heard this? Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
8,567 Posts
I can’t accept the story they are telling you. I suggest you personally drive a similar car to compare.
Regardless, any loud mechanical noise is a problem.

Electric power steering does not have a pump, because it doesn’t need a pump. Alternators and batteries provide power for electric steering.

Also, TIMING belts do not squeal, and your engine doesn’t have one. It has a timing chain. Fan belts or other rubber or serpentine belts may squeal, and your 2018 model should have one. I can’t be more specific since I don’t have a 2018.

Correct terminology is important if you want to be taken seriously, and there are aspects of your complaint which don’t seem logical as written.

Reactions: misbrisco

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The 3rd gen Muranos don't have electric power steering, they have electro-hydraulic power steering, which does have an electric pump to drive the hydraulics.

I test drove a 2015 Murano and the electric pump was noticeably loud when idling, a whining sound. I recall discussions regarding this years ago... You may want to check them out via search.

My '19 Murano's pump doesn't make this whining noise that I have noticed. They either changed the design or muffled it with better insulation.

I attached a couple of photos to show what the electro-hydraulic power steering looks like. In the second photo I propped up what I think is a sound insulation cover...

Attachments

Reactions: misbrisco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! @Pilgrim and @MuranoSL2003 ! Yeah, i've already made a 2nd appointment with another dealer service center. I never got the impression these guys knew what they were talking about. And yep, i meant serpentine belt, thanks for the clarification @Pilgrim ! Most of all, now i don't feel like i'm crazy! I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,567 Posts
Thanks for the info and photos, MuranoSK2003. My Murano was an 07 so it pre-dated the model under discussion.

Any pump can make noise; a whine is a different sound than a screech. However, anything with a belt can slip (other than a toothed belt, which is pretty difficult to make slip) and the result is generally well described as a screech.

Sounds like what the OP has may be a pump-related noise, possibly either internal mechanism or bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, so just got back from a more reputable dealership service center... turns out the car was in some type of collision that was never disclosed to me. I bought the car about 2 weeks ago with a clean carfax and ~4600 miles on it. When the reputable service center hoisted the car up they almost immediately found.. "...Technician lifted vehicle on hoist and found over black over spray and masking tape on undercarriage, and front bumper reinforcement bar had writing similar to body shop marks. Recommend authorize to diagnose." So turns out the dealer i bought it from most likely repaired whatever the body damage was before selling it to me. This was, they told me, "a loaner car they used and they were the only owner." Great selling point. Sheesh. So i'm going to email the General Manager with all this and demand a meeting. They sold me a car, it seems, they KNEW was in an accident. Their own service guy tried to tell me that the noise was just "normal for that model". Does that mean he was in on it? Conspiracy theories start now... WTF?

I'm thinking I ask for an exchange for the same or newer model?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts