• No

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else out there suffer from squeeky brakes??
(curious to know if this is common or not..)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can never vote in polls. I always get session invalid message. But I don't have squeeky brakes.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mine squeek but only first thing in the morning while I'm backing down my driveway, its just so embarrising :D & aggrevating :3:

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That squeeking is normal with most cars, its the build up of oxidation (rust) on the rotors during the night (if there is rain or a lot of moisture it can happen quite quickly)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Dammit Darryl. I wish you would quit saying that.
Can't you be satisfied just saying that yours do not squeal?

You talk to us like we were children. We all have owbned cars before trhe Murano.
Some of us have probably owned more than others.

It is NOT normal for brakes to squeal even first thing in the morning.
It WAS a problem way back in the 70s and on an occasional model since then, but it is just wrong to say it is normal for MOST cars. That's just PS.
Lets start a poll where we ID the cars we have/had and whether they squeal or not.

The following do NOT squeal.
Chrysler T&C - 97
Mazda Miata - 99
Ford Mustang - 89 & 94
Chevy Corvette - 88 & 98
Ford Taurus SHO - 92

That's 10 years worth at my house.

OR document your claim that "most" cars exhibit this behavior.

You keep poo-pooing this problem but Nissan recognizes it as abnormal. To wit, a problem.

And you offer no explanation why if it is normal, none of my other cars have done it nor do the majority of Muranos.

Homer

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was satifified with having to say it only once. but I guess you didn't read that.. [ as you said, I didn't want to have to repeat it like I was talking to a kid ;) ]

I was only offering possible "other" explainations, I never said that it was NOT engineering, only that it was possibly a better way to get the dealer to deal with the problem short term..

Some cars Squeal, and Some don't. That the way that cars are. and i'm also 100% sure, that there are MANY reasons why this happens, if you only want to hear or discuss only one of two of them , then thats fine.. I'll keep my comments to myself..

If nissan saw it as a signifignat problem, they would have issued a TSB, (now don't read this wrong. hey in the future they may just do that. I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm not saying it's not..) I'm jsut saying there is more the one cause.

as for "most cars" do a bit of research, look at the web, you will see some (and i'm sure some that do not say it) ..
"Brake squeal is probably one to the most common and frustrating problems that a car owner must face"

here is one good site (of many) that try to help educate the drivers about break squeal. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gorf/bmwtips/brakesqueal.html

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poll for past cars:

Mini Cooper:
no squealing, did the brake work myself

Chevy Sprint: no squealing but occasional grinding noise

Mazda GLC: no problems

Dodge Avenger: brakes squealed a lot, and replaced pads every 18 months, rotors every 2 years.. major defect in "engineering". but it was released as a TSB after the warrenty had expired so the dealer was no help at all

Ford Expedition:

Occasionional squeal, when pulling a heavy load on the trailer

Chevy Trailbalzer:
no problems, but brakes a generally "softer" something you get used to..

Porsche Boxster:
brakes squeal all the time, due to the high metal content in the pads. Porsche's response, was "would you like quieter, lower performance pads instead????,, we didn't think so, we went with performance over convience"

Nissan MO:
no problems at all, the breaks are nice and firm, and I work them hard..

Edit: changed breaks to brakes..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some squeal in slow forward speeds even after driving for awhile. Sometimes I get horrible squeal in reverse after relatively short(shopping, work) stops, not necessarily overnight but those too. Scared my neighbor and her dog so bad one morning, I now back into my parking spot when I get in at night so I don't have to back out in the AM(these are condos) when people are out. Can't be 'normal'. Never had a new car with this problem. Dealer couldn't reproduce it, said it was normal, asked me to record it...putz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Two Squeaks Worth

Yes, my breaks will occasionally squeak a little when I am backing down my driveway. Does it bother me? Nope...better things to fret over, I suppose.

·
4,664 Posts
Not a problem...

Even if they do squeak on occasion, it's usually temporary...

I would expect if you drove more aggressively, the problem would go away. (joke, sorta...)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ours just started doing it after we had a few 20 degree days. Now it is the morning ritual. Back out the driveway and listen for the squeal. Only time it happens during the day.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just had my MO in for service Monday, although I'm overall very happy I will be calling the service manager today.
Per his red sticker on my invoice if not "Completely Satisfied" please call me immediately.

Locking out problem - ordered a new wiring harness with latch

Squeeking brake problem - checked brakes OK

Backing out of my garage this morning & Sqqqqueeek! :3:

Not even my Dodge makes this obnoxious sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mountains or Molehills???

Can someone with some auto engineering expertise shed some light on the "problem" about the squeaking brakes. Is there a potential danger or performance deficit caused by squeaking brakes when one reverses on an incline? It has been my understanding that, in the absence of any mechanical or wear issues, occasional squeaking brakes are an inherehent (albeit mildly irritating) and harmless automobile phenomenon. I am beginning to think that I should be more concerned about this part of MO ownership.

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On other cars, I've had similar problems with squealing in the morning. I've fixed them by applying that blue gooey stuff made to end squealing. Of course, this requires breaking down the calipers and applying the stuff to the back of the pads which isn't something you (a new owner) should have to do to a warranty item. And of course, it's not a guaranteed fix. Anyone used this stuff before successfully?

Brad

·
Registered
203 Posts
Curious to see if they added/changed something on the 04's. Mine do not squeak at all. Any 04 owners with squeak problems? Maybe modify the poll to reflect 03 and 04 owners?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brakes 101

OK MO' Peps. I am an automotive engineer in the big truck industry and here is a little lesson in brakes:

First off, brake dust alone will cause your brakes to squeal. Rust is another culprit. I'll break it down so you can have a mental picture. You have a piece of steel on one side and a (commonly used) metallic brake pad on the other. Now stick something like rust or brake dust build-up between those two things now press them together with allot of force while one of them is turning. Result is usually a loud squealing sound. Temperature is going to play a huge part in this also. Temperatures in the morning are usually colder so that is going to have an effect on the pads and the rotors. Both cold which will make them harder and shrinking to some extent. Once the pads and rotor heat up you will usually find that the squealing sound will go away. Not always the case though.

There are some quick fixes:

1. There are lubricants that you can buy that you apply to the
pads.

2. Buy non-metallic pads. They will wear out faster and cause
more brake dust which results in real dirty wheels.

3. Sand your rotors. Smoothing out your rotors will help in most
cases.

I do have a little sqeal in the morning but after about 100 yards my squeal goes away. Hope this helps.

Swill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts