Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stage 1: Install PAC AAI-NIS2 and mount PocketPC for MP3 Playback. Stage 1 was very easy and worked out quite well.

Stage 2: Replace the interior speakers with Infinity Reference speakers. I installed Reference 6010cs in the front and Reference 6012i two-ways in the rear. The rear speakers were not too much trouble other than having to drill a few holes to get them mounted. The fronts were a little trickier. Since I was not replaceing amps I had to use the existing wires and since the 6010cs is a component system I had to access the wires inside the car. I found the easiest way to do this was to splice the wires just on the inside of the door wire harness. Thank god for the service manual or I would have never found the correct wires.

Now the most important part. The sound. The reference speakers sound great for a low cost speaker. My last ride was completely decked out with Boston Acoustic pro speakers and JL 10w3 subs. So I know what good speakers sound like. And these infinty speakers really hold their own. I got the entire set of speakers for $199. They sound like I paid more like $400. I am running the bose system so I was afraid of the low ohms thing but it ended up not being a problem at all. The overall volume was lower but it is still very respectable.

Stage 3: ?? I am thinking of getting a nice 6CH amp and the JL Stealth box. I was thinking of the JL e6450 to power everything. We will have to see my finances are a little thin at the moment.

If anyone is interested I am looking to sell the bose door speakers and tweeters. Send me a PM if interested

Pacmo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well almost complete. After enjoying my new speakers for a while I finally turned it down and realized there is a slight hum comming from the speakers?!?! It is comming from all of the speakers. It is very strange it is comming out of the speakers even when the radio is off? In fact it is comming out of the speakers even when the car is off but the headlights are on?!? Has anyone else every noticed this. It may have been doing this all along and the bose just couldn't reproduce this particular frequency. It may be due to the higher load of the new speakers? I am not really sure at what point in the chain the noise is entering the system. I am going to disconnect the boes amp this weekend to see if the amp is the cause. I am really at a loss on this one. I have never heard speakers produce line hum just form the headlights being on?!?!? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Pacmo

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, it is most certainly not caused by the "higher load".

With higher impedance, there is actually a lesser load on the Amp.
I believe the Amp is always on, tho, when the car is on, even if the HU is off.

So as you describe it, the HU is probably not the problem*.

The Amp is likely at fault OR a bad ground or a ground loop.
That CAN be on the input to the Amp. or the Amp itself.
It is unlikely directly associated with the Headlights.

These can be a bugaboo to fix.

Open grounds (or bad connections can usually be found, but Ground loops (caused by the HU and it's associated output wiring (which are the Amp input lines) being at a different ground potential than the Amp.

Good luck.
Might be worth a trip to the dealer if you tighten all the grounds and it is still there.

The headlight symptom says that the ground is being made through the Headlights. Indicates a bad ground somewhere.....

But this kind of problem is extremely difficult to Troubleshoot, and almost impossible on a message board.

Hopefully my ramblings will be of some help.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
pacmo

do you have HID's? If so your amplifier may pick up HID's inverter....just a wilde guess

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to the replies lets see if I can answer your questions.

1. What I meant by higher load is really higher resistance. Load was not the best term. My point is that with 2ohm speakers the resistance seen by the amp is lower and the current flow is higher. While with 4ohm speakers the resistance is higher and thus the current flow is lower. So in my mind the amp is pushing a higher load. Also note that the sub was left unchanged so the amp is also pushing different loads. Maybe this is what is causing the noise? In a high performance amp this is not a problem but I wouldn't really call the bose amp high performance. The amp may also be having a problem with the higher resistance due to the fact that it was designed for 2ohms?

2. It is not just the headlights that affect it. It is any electrical system. The headlights were just a good example. Today I plugged in my cell phone charger to the center console and it altered the hum slightly.

3. No I do not have HID's it is a stock SL 2wd with the premium sound package.

I soldered all the new connections I made so I don't think it would be a loose wire but who knows.

I have been installing car stereos in mine and my friends cars since the early 90's so I know the pains of ground loops all to well. If I cant solve this I think I am just going to get a after market amp and run new wires directly to the speakers. This always works the best. I was hoping to avoid that at least for a little while. I really cringe when pulling off door panels and cutting speaker wires under the dash on a car with only 1800 miles on it, but I just couldn't take the bose speakers.

Is there any one on here that has added 4ohm speakers to the bose sound system? I wounder if they also have the hum.

Thanks again,
Pacmo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Meet too!!

i just pulled out all the speakers on the doors and dash and replaced them with focals its souds great but i have that hum too.... but i added the Pac oem-1 unit and the niss harness for the ipod read somewhere thet the crossovers have to be away from the corners kick panels???
Dont know if its true but thought id throw it out there,where did all of you place your ground?

I have mine under the rear drivers side seat.

Im new to all this audio system setup so sorry for the noob question.
Thanks in advance
mario

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Meet too!!

mario0573 said:
i just pulled out all the speakers on the doors and dash and replaced them with focals its souds great but i have that hum too.... but i added the Pac oem-1 unit and the niss harness for the ipod read somewhere thet the crossovers have to be away from the corners kick panels???
Dont know if its true but thought id throw it out there,where did all of you place your ground?

I have mine under the rear drivers side seat.

Im new to all this audio system setup so sorry for the noob question.
Thanks in advance
mario
So did you add an external amp and remove the bose amp? I have learned to ignore the hum, but I was hoping that if I replaced the bose amp the hum would go away. As far as grounds go it does not really matter where they are as long as they make a good connection with the frame. If you installed a new amp you may be dealing with a different hum than what I have. You may have created a ground loop. These can be very had to diagnose. In the past with other systems I have solved ground loops in the following way. If you have multiple add on devices that require a ground make sure they all ground to the same point. If you have different items grounded in different locations there can be a slight difference in resistance between the grounds and you can induce noise. Make sure the ground connection is clean. Scrape off any paint on the frame and securly attach your grounds to the cleaned off area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So did you add an external amp and remove the bose amp?

I did add a polk audio MOMOC400 4ch amp with a short 14" 4GA ground cable. The bose amp is still on and pluged in for the sub,which is what they call it
I have all the power and turn on comming from the drivers side and the rca cables on the pass side The RCA's are Streetwires model number ZN6 which are new. I tried another spare rca set straight from the Pac unit over the seats to the amp ....still the same noise.

A sales rep at ABT here in IL said i should look at both PAC units and see if there is a ground lead you can tap into put them directly on the frame in the dash. also try and bring a ground from the amp go directly to the battery under the hood.
I don't want to use ground loop isolators because i feel it might degrade the sound in certian freq, so Ive heard at least.

The only thing i did that has help is on the back of the amp is a voltage input selector, low and high. which i switched it to high and the noise is more tolerable but not as loud as it was. :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got it!

The PAC unit (NIS-AAI) is picking up some sort of rf noise but im not sure what is directly behind the radio. I think its the total car wiring loom it fairly thick but i noticed that with the radio all the way to zero, even off it picks it up when i take the pac unit an move it towards the glove box area it becomes quieter its 90% better but still detectable what the hell is there causing that
a buddy of mine said to try taking tin fiol to shield it better?
will try it another day and post the results

1 - 10 of 10 Posts