Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if you can run a staggered wheel setup on an AWD SL? I'm talking like 18x9 in the front and then an 18x10 in the rear?

Any and all help will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well.....

Yes - you could do it. I'd make sure the front and rear tires have the same rolling diameter if you have AWD otherwise you'll be letting us know how much a transfer case is.

I think it would look nice until people realized it was a FWD car :) There certainly won't be a benefit with the exception of appearance.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Well.....

Yes - you could do it. I'd make sure the front and rear tires have the same rolling diameter if you have AWD otherwise you'll be letting us know how much a transfer case is.

I think it would look nice until people realized it was a FWD car :) There certainly won't be a benefit with the exception of appearance.
I forgot about all that... good point. Don't do it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Nissmo said:
If you do that you should disconnect the front transfer case put 22" wheels in the back and buy 16" wheels for the front. That way you coulds take full disadvantage of rear wheel drive.

Sorry, I just, well, l could not stop myself.
:2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ski Zero said:
Wouldn't the rolling diameter already be bigger if the wheels are different widths?
No, why would it be? I'm assuming only the wheel sizes differ, but the tire size would remain the same.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
You can get different tire sizes to have the same rolling diameter.

For example - a 245/50/16 will be the same as a 245/45/17 which is the same as a 315/35/17.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

If you want to play around with different sizes.
True. I based my conclusion on the idea that the wheels would be 1" width apart, which would mean not that many choices for tires. In either case, keeping the diameter the same should make it ok to use different width wheels, although with all that rolling mass your acceleration and braking will suffer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Eric L. said:

True. I based my conclusion on the idea that the wheels would be 1" width apart, which would mean not that many choices for tires. In either case, keeping the diameter the same should make it ok to use different width wheels, although with all that rolling mass your acceleration and braking will suffer.
I based my assumption that he'd also be getting a wider tire :) Silly us for assuming anything.

BTW - you can find larger wheels that weigh less than stockers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I run staggered stock 350Z 17" rims for the winter, but the tires are the same. You should search for a tire that will fit both rim widths so there will be no difference in the diameter.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:

I based my assumption that he'd also be getting a wider tire :) Silly us for assuming anything.

BTW - you can find larger wheels that weigh less than stockers.
Yeah silly me for assuming. :2:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I guess I don't see the point in a wider rim if you are going to leave the tire the same size. It kinda negates the point of a wider wheel.

Wider wheel = ability to run wider tire = potentially more traction

With that said...if you are going new aftermarket, it is likely that a wider rim is going to cost more. Used - it probably isn't going to make a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts