Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone else experienced this? At start up, occasionally my MO will start them die or have a very low idle (100-200 rpm's) then after a second it will kick up to normal (800-1000)warm up idle. If it dies I turn the key again it starts up and acts normal. It seems to have been happening over the past few weeks. I have 28,000 miles and almost a year and half of smiles on my face.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I've had this problem on many occasions. Dealership found nothing wrong. I suspect it's related to low battery, because it happens in the winter if I've been using lots of electrical accesories (heated seats, mirrors, defroster, fan on hi, all that).

I have my charging system tested last year when it was doing it, and was told everything was fine. This year I've been more careful about not using the heated things all the time, and so far it hasn't been happening.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
May be why the battery is larger in 05.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure about the cold factor. I live in the frosty So. CA. climate. I think it got down to a bone chilling 50 degrees last night. It doesn't just hapen in the morning. i wonder if it is a computer/idle control issue.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Does it happen mainly when the engine has been shut off for just a few hours, and its a warm start? I might be familiar with the problem, and the "malfunctioning" part.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
possibly. I will have better note when it occurs. It mainly happens during the day, so you are probably correct.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If its the warm start problem, its a very common issue on VQ engines. The coolant temp sensor is sensing a "warm" start when a "cold" start is needed, so it usually take a while to crank and turn over, and when it does, it acts like not enough gas is being fed into the cylinders. The ECU adjusts and a few seconds later, you are fine again. No fix has been found for this, and replacing the coolant temp sensor does not correct the issue.

·
4,994 Posts
Never had this problem with my G35 in the many years I had it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
This was a common problem on 4th gen Maximas, and I've also read similar issues on the FA forums regarding Altimas with the 3.5L engine.

There was some discussion it was related to fuel type, but it was never confirmed.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
I had the same....

I had exactly the same problem with my ’97 Maxima. It usually happened in the normal or cold weather 0-75 F and it never happened during the summer. From my understanding the air intake is wide open and an engine runs too lean for a first 5-10 seconds. If you press accelerator slightly right after you crank the engine it will work normally. I would not be worry about this small problem, unless you want to install the remote starter.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Ok, this isn't the problem I had. Mine did it even after driving for a while.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Ohh I see. That is very strange and I would suggest that you will go to service and start bother those guys until they tune up your idle. They have to do it, otherwise I do not see a reason to pay for warranty..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today the MO didn't hold it's idle twice after starting. I figured out when it happens. After the car is warmed up and driven then parked for 30 mins.- 2 hours. When I start it up it the rpm's climb at the initial start then drop down to 200-300 then pick up to 800 rpm of a normal idle. What happens is the when the idle drops it doesn't climb back up, it just dies. When I restart it runs normal. I had an appointment with the dealer to look at my cracked seats so I had them look at it. As usual they couldn't reproduce it and I could not wait long enough to have then give it a long look over. I am rescheduling a time to leave it with them for the day. The service mgr thinks it might be a fuel pump or injector issue. I think it is a choke/idle control sensor.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Rugiles - this is exactly the problem on the 4th gen Maximas - a warm engine parked for a short period, and it will stumble on restart after some extended cranking. It "feels" like its not getting enough gas.

I don't think its an idle issue, but I guess the new 3.5L could have some different electronics controlling the idle speed.

Since the dealer cannot reproduce it, and you get it started fine on the second start, maybe next time as you see the idle speed falling, give it a little gas. Sorry could not be of more help, its been like this for 7 years on my Maxima.

·
4,994 Posts
Wonder if it's dirt on the throttle sensor slider?.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eric,

My experience is close to yours. They only difference is the extended cranking. The MO starts normally with a few seconds of cranking, is just doesn't hold it's idle the first time. when I restart it cranks normal but hold the idle. I will be taking it in early next week to let the dealer spend some quality time with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts