Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that since they start putting 10% Ethanol in the gas that the MO is a little harder to start. I find that my MO is takes just a few more revolutions (.5 - 1 sec) longer to start than it used it... right about when they added this stuff to the gas.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I've been using 10% ethanol in my gas for pretty much the entire life of the Murano and I haven't noticed any problems. It starts fine, warm or cold, except for the problem with RPMs dropping to 0 during the first second after starting (only happens about 25% of the time, not at all during winter). That problem seems to have been tracked down to an idle air volume problem.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo-

The 10% ethanol mix should not have an impact on the starting and idle characteristics on your car. It may just be your perception.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK maybe its not the gassoline but it is not me. Believe me I'm tuned to this. The MO is just taking ever so slightly to start. Its its turning over slightly longer before catching. It is idling just fine. Something minor, no need to bring it to the dealer but just thought I would throw it out and see if anyone else had something simliar.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Nope, no difference for me. Again I will mention that while 10% ethanol might be novel for some people here, others have been using it for the entire life of their vehicles (certainly in the case of my own Murano) without any problems whatsoever. The fuel is absolutely safe.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Gonzo, I believe you.

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Homer. I'm a pilot and notice suddle engine changes. I always try to minimize starter engement. After driving the MO for 3+ years I have a good feel for how easy it has always started. Now it is just "off" slightly. Again nothing major its just different.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
Thanks Homer. I'm a pilot and notice suddle engine changes. I always try to minimize starter engement. After driving the MO for 3+ years I have a good feel for how easy it has always started. Now it is just "off" slightly. Again nothing major its just different.
I know what you mean by subtle engine changes - I hear noises from my MO that my passengers swear is just my imagination. Another thought regarding the "labored" starting. Maybe that 3 year old stock battery is just a little weaker now, so the starter doesn't turn with as much verve.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
njjoe said:
Gonzo-

The 10% ethanol mix should not have an impact on the starting and idle characteristics on your car. It may just be your perception.

-njjoe
According to the May issue of Car and Driver, pure ethanol does have difficultly of starting an engine - which is why it has to be mixed with gasoline.

So Gonzo, it may not necessarily be your imagination (although your name may imply differently). :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
What about injectors? Did you or do you periodically run any cleaner through the system? Just a thought.
Bob1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts