Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have 2007 nissan murano. Sometimes it wont start ( no crank, no start ) but after a few seconds it will start and works just fine. And then after sitting over night it will happen again. Does anyone knows the problem? Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do the easy and obvious stuff first - check the battery and its connection. Make sure the battery terminal connections and its surround area are clean and snug. How old is the battery? Has it been tested recently?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the easy and obvious stuff first - check the battery and its connection. Make sure the battery terminal connections and its surround area are clean and snug. How old is the battery? Has it been tested recently?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello tnx for the advice. I already cleaned the terminals and they already checked the battery and they said the battery is fine. But after 2 days same problem. And i have another problem, there is a clunk sound when I accelerate from stop or when the rpm goes around 3,000. its really anoying. maybe front right side i dont know exactly where. Maybe you can help me with that as well. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have you had your alternator's output checked? Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage of your battery in the morning, and also to check the alternator output?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, yes sir, i turned on all the lights and AC while the engine os on and checked the battery with volt meter and i think its good because the output is the range of 14volts.. is that normal output? Thank you so much

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, over 14 volts just after starting sounds good.

Have you tried checking the battery's voltage in the morning before starting? It should be over 12.2 - 12.3 volts if it's healthy. Also check the battery voltage again after it fails to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to check the battery this morning before starting the engine, and the volt is 12.77. I think alternator and battery is good. Is it possible in the switch itself? Where you put the keys? Thank you

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello sir.. good day, i just have a question. I am hearing a rattling sound under my hood and i think its the front differential. I am planning to top it up with gear oil but i am not sure if the cvt and the front differential of nissan murano are the same? Do they have different fill plugs and drain plugs? Or front differential and cvt are are the same? Thank you

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is no front differential in a Murano, but there is a transfer case attached to the CVT to provide power to the rear wheels of AWD Muranos. The transfer case uses 80w/90 GL-5 gear oil. The CVT uses Nissan NS2 CVT fluid.

The Maintenance forum on this site has excellent information that you will find useful:

·
Registered
405 Posts
By the way, did you solve your starting problem? If so, was it the switch? Letting the forum know will help others with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes sir its working perfectly now so far. i just changed the key. i am using the spare key now and its working just fine. I don’t know why or maybe the battery of the old key i am using before. i am not sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a leaking fluid under the engine at the side of the trany i guess. Its like clear fluid with some blue color on it. I am not sure if its coming from the cvt or the transfer case? I will take a photo tomorrow and send to you. Maybe you could help me identify the problem. Because i know that this is going to be expensive this time. Thank you so much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Blue fluid isn't gear oil, so it's not CVT, transfer case or anything in the driveline.

Blue is probably windshield washer fluid - it's the only thing with that color. Some German cars like BMW use a blue antifreeze, so that's an outside possibility. Smell and taste may confirm. Gear oil smells musty; nothing like other fluids.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you so much for the info sir. im sory about the color i checked it again and it was kinda clear purple-ish color. and the texture is similar to the engine oil. i did not smell the odor though. Does this cause a rattling sound if the transfer case gear oil is below minimum level? I think leak is coming from the transfer case. Because i checked the level of the cvt fluid from the dip stick is ok. And if the cvt fluid is already dirty does it make a rattling sound also? I only hear the rattling sound once in a while. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
In my experience, gear oil tends to have a fairly strong crude oil type smell... I don't taste my vehicle's droppings, so I can't help you there... lol

I recommend checking the fluid level in your transfer case ASAP. It only holds 5/8 US pint (~300ml), not much at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts