Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get usually get a static shock every time I get out of my MO. Sometimes it is quite 'large'.

Is this normal? I live in Central Florida, so it is probably not caused by 'low humidity'. (I wish we had low humidity)

Thanks

Seth

·
4,664 Posts
Actually it's caused by the cloth interior and while I love it, it's the only downside... The leather doesn't do it.

I'd love to know if there's a way to stop this...

·
Registered
758 Posts
helloseth

I haven't found a way to stop it and I also live in Central Florida. It can be a real nuisance. It happens so often that I have begun closing my door with my elbow or my A$$ to avoid the shock.

·
5,268 Posts
man you talk about electric shock,

I lived for sometime in Central Queensland (no rain for 7 years). Very low humidity. Getting out of the car was a challenge.................ah good old days..........Mr. Darwin really works, every time I get an electric shock I remember Queensland...........I very well condition, I guess..........

Yes, it is normal. I get it ocassionally here in Atlanta, during low humidity days. Even though I have leather........

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I've generally used the key to the car metal trick. When you get out of your car, "ground" yourself by touching the key to a part of the car's metal body. I'm not sure this is such a good idea with the computer coded key though, I guess you can try using your housekeys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a test tonight. I got out and didn't touch any metal. I pushed the door closed with the window.
No Shock! .. Until I touched the door for the gas station!:3: So the charge builds up in me, not the car.

Anybody tried any anti-static cling sheets or sprays?

Seth

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yep yep its strange - it does build up in you and not the car. I would suggest against pushing too hard on the window, else you might get the dreaded window tick rattle.

There are ugly grounding strips you hang from the back of your car which solve the problem. The static electricity is usually a problem on dry hot days for me. One time I nearly had a heart attack when as I was inserting the gas nozzle into the tank, an electrical spark jumped from the nozzle to the car! Leaping lizards and jumping jehosephats!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
CopperKat said:
I've got this attached to my keyring . . . Shock Block
Got it to avoid what happened to Eric L.
I'm getting myself one of these. :4:

·
5,268 Posts
It actually may work. I would imagine it is made out of a semi conductive material.........it would limit greatly the amout of current flowing through the body.....hm..........might be a good idea.

Does it work for you?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm real consistent about using it when I go to the gas station. Normally, when I get out of my car, I don't think about it and just close the door without using the device. Other times, when I'm approaching the vehicle with keys in hand, I'll see it and touch the handle with it before opening the door. Can't remember a time when I was shocked after doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
My wife and I went "OWWW!" every time we got out of the car when we first got it. Now when we get out we touch the palm of our hand to the top corner of the door. It seems your palm doesn't have as many nerve endings as your finger tips so it doesn't have even a 10th of the ouch factor.
The first time I got popped I thought of the gas tank and refueling. I think that Mo owners will have hardly any gas refueling fires due to ESD as you have to press the lid in to open it, that discharges you. I go ahead and touch one of the bolts there before I grap the pump handle to make double sure.
As I used to work on mainframe stuff, we always were grounded by straps on our wrist--a few pieces of equipment even came with a permanently attached one. The tables we put boards on to do any kind of work were covered in graphite impregnated rubber mats that were in turn earth grounded. I imagine that this shock block is also graphite impregnated.

·
4,664 Posts
That's what I was thinking too... Graphite.

I find the key works, or I'll lean on it so it goes through my jacket. I've considered having something dangle to the ground to discharge things, but I hate the looks of those grounding straps some people put on the vehicles. I might attach a light duty chain behind one of the rear wheels so it's not so obvious.

Either that, or start doing science experiments with the energy.

Even a neon bulb could be fun.:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know that once you begin refueling, you're not supposed to get back in your vehicle, but sometimes I just don't want to stand outside and wait. By getting back inside and sliding across the seats, I can build up static again, so I make sure I discharge the electricity before removing the nozzle.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
the way i do it is usually hold to the upper metal frame

of the door while i open the car door BEFORE you even move your butt on the cloth seat. Hence while holding on to the upper window frame while you are sliding out of the car, the static build up is channeled to the ground. So far it helps, i have never been 'shocked' by the car since last january.

A co-worker gave me this tip.;)

·
4,664 Posts
I recall research being done on this. Basically there were concerns about cell phones igniting fuel, and this was practically non-existant.

A spark to the filler on the vehicle is the main trigger to ignite the fuel and this was mainly generated by people entering and exiting while the vehicle was being fueled. They would build up a charge which would then be discharged as they went for the nozzle.

Women were the majority in this, only because they would get out, start the process and then go back to get a purse to pay for the fuel.

It's been ages since I've seen a pump that will allow you to latch it on to fill the vehicle, in a self serve station. Since you have to hold the pump on, here, I don't expect it's ever been an issue.

Can you still latch the pumps in other places? CopperKat, I'm under the impression that's still possible in your area...

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
jaak said:
Can you still latch the pumps in other places? CopperKat, I'm under the impression that's still possible in your area...
Interesting. I wonder if that's a CA thing. It's very rare that I find a station that does NOT allow you to latch the pumps...

~ Corin

·
59 Posts
This problem is not only limited to cloth seats. I have leather seats and get severe shocks fairly often, regardless of humidity levels. Maybe it's because of the cotton/polyester slacks or nylon/microfiber jacket that I usually wear.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Man I need to get me a shockblock!!

Id hate to...start a ...fire..at a fuel pump...from static electricity?

Seriously though... I chucked at the 1st fear-inducing paragraph.

ShockBlock can potentially save lives!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts