Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to this forum although I have owned a Murano for just over 2 years now. Bought one from an early batch at a local dealer here in Va Beach in Jan of '03. It's an SL AWD - BL ext w/ CL int - and I absolutely love it. All problems have been minor and not mechanical. (Dash & pillar rattles, loose driver seat mechanism, etc.)
So, last night, I'm flipping through the Consumer Report Buyers Guide for '05, as my wife and I are beginning to look for a new vehicle for her. The write up on the Murano is very favorable until the end where they state that they do not recommend it due to a steering defect. Apparently Nissan is aware of the defect and is supposed to have it ironed out on the '05 models.
Anyone know anything about this?
One other quick question. I, as a result of this so called steering defect, in addition to wanting to upgrade, am considering wheeling and dealing with the local dealer on an '05 MO. However, I'm only 2 yrs into a 5 yr lease. What might be my best course of action to not get screwed on the deal? I would obviously first attempt a deal with the dealer I originally bought from, as I'm assuming that's my best chance at getting a decent deal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
In a nutshell. The 03/04 "Reportedly / Supposedly" have a steering defect whein if you make a sudden or large use of the steering assist while the engine is turning over slowly the power assist dramatically reduces and that this is a problem.

Some or a number of owners have reported this and some have not I had an 04 and performed the maneuver as described before and did not notice a problem. That IS NOT to say other are not observing it and that it is their. Have you noticed it?

I no have an 05 and the steering is a bit "lighter". I don't want to underplay or minimize other inputs which you should be getting soon.

As far as how to deal with a dealer, Boy. I don't lease so I don't know. If buying I would go the INTERNET route, maybe even carsdirect type of thing as I don't like to negotiate. If you are good at it. Then thats different and I am sure you will do fine.

I do feel that the 05 has started to see the end of the new vehicle startup problems.

"Rots of Ruck" as they say :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GripperDon.
I HATE negotiating. I do it when I need to, but do not enjoy it.
I am certainly not against considering purchase through internet, so I will research and see what I can find. Any specific dealers you would suggest? Thanks again.

·
4,994 Posts
Well I think that CarsDirect.com should be on the list. One wyou have their Idea and search the thread about 05 prices on this forum. You might want to right up exactly what you want and are willing to pay and fax it off to the Fleet sales manager aat a local dealer, Don't forget Hampton and Newport News as well as Norfolk and VA Beach. (Used to work at Langley) :D

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have an '03 SL as well... I have experienced this steering wheel issue... just as Gripper said (and you can search numberous posts on this topic), that if you quickly turn the wheel the power steering cuts out. I find it dangerous since it could happen when you are expecting it or if someone who uses your car doesn't know about it and needs to make a quick manuever to avoid something.

I filled a compliant months ago but never heard anything back.

I have only experienced it about 4 times in the 15,000 miles and 1.5 years of ownership.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I can reproduce the steering issue if I try really hard to. The only time it has become noticeable is turning the steering wheel very fast at a very low engine speed, for example, if you are stopped and want to cut out and go around the car ahead of you. That maneuver requires a quick left and right turning, and in such a case, the steering can momentarily stiffen up. It can catch you by surprise, but I find its not so stiff its not maneuverable. However, I am 6'2" and 200lbs so for a smaller person, perhaps it may be a serious issue.

I don't consider it a major issue, but it is a plus if its fixed in the 05.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Eric L. said:
I don't consider it a major issue, but it is a plus if its fixed in the 05.
I was able to reproduce the effect on every single 04 model that I test drove (about 10 different vehicles). When the 05 was finally on the lots, I went and tried two different 05 models, doing the same thing to try to repro it. Couldn't make it happen. So, since I was so successful at reproing the issue on the 04, but couldn't get it to on the 05, I would testify that it's definitely fixed.

Although, as another thread stated, it would seem that this would be something that they are ADMITTING was a problem, and they SHOULD retro-fit the older models with the new design (if possible). Apparently no word on that yet from Nissan.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
And just a quick follow-up, I don't really think it's THAT big of a deal. Yeah, it could happen, the steering could get a little stiff suddenly in sudden sharp moves, but you still CAN turn the wheel it's just a little stiff. Cause an accident? Well, sure, I suppose you could make a case for that, but I think that case is pretty unlikely. And if you KNOW the defect is there, it's even less likely.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Corin said:
...I don't really think it's THAT big of a deal. Yeah, it could happen, the steering could get a little stiff suddenly in sudden sharp moves, but you still CAN turn the wheel it's just a little stiff. Cause an accident? Well, sure, I suppose you could make a case for that, but I think that case is pretty unlikely.
I don't know if you have been in a situation where this thing happened to you unexpectedy but I have,Read Here, and it was not good. Sure, I did not get into an accident only because my years of driving experience plus first hand knowledge gained through working in wrercking yard keep me from putting all of my trust in a piece of metal (sorry MO!). So I always try to anticipate the unexpected. That is what saved me last time. Not sure if everyone would be so lucky. However, I have to agree with you that once you know about the problem, you will tend to avoid situations where you would need such a manuver and chances are it may never happen again.

My advice is to go somewhere where there is not a lot of traffic around, try to create the problem so you know what to expect. Then drive safely until Nissan fixes it.

I still love my MO! :)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
zebelkhan said:
....So I always try to anticipate the unexpected... That is what saved me last time. Not sure if everyone would be so
Not to take away anything from your last post zebelkhan, but is that why you and your cat wear a helmet? :p

·
4,994 Posts
greenshirt77 Since you have a 03 why are we telling you about the steering defect, You should tell us, have you noticed?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
Not to take away anything from your last post zebelkhan, but is that why you and your cat wear a helmet? :p
Even my MO wears a helmet now after what I did to it with the garage door...:2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GripperDon said:
greenshirt77 Since you have a 03 why are we telling you about the steering defect, You should tell us, have you noticed?
I haven't noticed, which leads me to believe that it's either not to any major degree on mine, or I haven't yet had a situation in which the problem would be obvious.
First I heard of any steering issue was in the Consumer Report Buyers Guide I was reading last night.
Thanks everyone for all the info, I will attempt to duplicate on my '03 when given a good oppurtunity. Maybe on the way home from the office today in rush hr traffic. Kidding of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled into an empty mall parking lot this morn and attempted to duplicate. Think I scared the @#$% out of some guy crossing through the parking lot on foot. Guess he though I was going to run him down.
Anyway, if what I experienced is what everyone is talking about, it doesn't seem like any major issue. I can see where it could be a problem in certain situations, but as others mentioned, if you are aware of the problem it seems less likely to cause a major incident.
Thanks for all the input.

·
4,994 Posts
Yo welcome. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts