Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Murano Platinum - less than a month after purchase we noticed the steering was difficult. I mean like an old truck with no power steering. It got to the point where I could barely make normal turns. While I'm not Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, I am strong enough to steer most vehicles. My wife almost could not drive it. Cut to the chase, the dealership (thankfully very good/responsive) replaced the steering column and the problem went away, until today. Twice, while in traffic, the steering locked up. Once I thought we were heading right for the curb. The problem cleared up after stepping on the bakes. Fortunately we were at low speed. Very scary and dangerous. Is anyone else having this problem??

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Isn't your steering electric in that vehicle? (Someone help me out here, I don't have a current model.)

Sounds to me like:

1) This is an immediate safety problem and should be dealt with seriously.
2) It may be a pending failure of the power assist unit for the steering, which as I noted, may be electric.

I have no idea what the brake application did, other than if there's a wiring issue and the wires shifted when the brakes were applied.

I think this calls for a trip to the dealer and a come-to-Jesus meeting about the severity of this problem. It's nothing to mess with. I would be very reluctant to drive this vehicle until I had evidence that it's corrected.

·
Registered
253 Posts
3rd gen Muranos have an electro-hydraulic power steering pump. Previous generation Murano hydraulic power steering pumps are a conventional engine belt driven design.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
3rd gen Muranos have an electro-hydraulic power steering pump. Previous generation Murano hydraulic power steering pumps are a conventional engine belt driven design.
Thank you! Evidently something is causing intermittent power dropout. Good reason to stop driving it until it's fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both! We have it parked for the moment and have contacted the dealership. Will follow up w/ results.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
My take on this is to consider the (1) electrical and (2) hydraulic components of the steering support.

Which could come and go most easily? My vote is electrical. Hydraulic pumps take a moment to build up pressure when you start the car, but they also need a couple of seconds to lose pressure. Electricity can literally switch on and off...which sounds more like the complaint. You may want to think about that.

That's a very theory-based approach, as I don't know the design of the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts