Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While turning/cricling at low speeds 15-25 miles, I can feel steering shaking and if I am on an uneven surface, the feeling is more pronounced.

I have learnt that Nissan fixed issues with its Power Steering for the 2005 Model. I have a 2005 Murano which has a manufacturing date of 09/2004. I have two questions:

Eventhough I have a 2005, is there a chance that the power steering was not fixed because it was manufactured way early in 2004

or

Could I have an issue with front suspension or alignment, i have 1400 miles on the Murano?

Looking forward to some information here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, that if I brake while turning, i can feel it really bad on the steering as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
IIRC, the steering issue did not have a shake as a symptom, it was extra effort required to steer as the PS pump wasn't providing enough assist at low rpm.

The fact you mentioned the brakes could be an indication of a warped rotor causing the shake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2005 Murano, that has a shaky steering wheel also. However, my steering wheel vibrates between 55-65 mph. The dealer has balanced the tires 3 times (2 of those times were "Road Force" balancing) with no resolution. Now I'm being told by Nissan consumer affairs that that's the way the car is designed. Ain't that a joke. I can't believe Nissan would design a vehicle with a vibrating steering wheel at 55-65 mph. Has anyone else had or is having this problem? Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
is this under acceleration? or just cruising?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
No vibrations here.... it could be one of two things. The tire is out of balance or warp rotors. Do you have any vibration when braking? The brakes do slightly ride even when not being used but they would have to be real bad for cause a vibratoin when not braking.

Perhaps try another shop for a balance.

I supose a third possibility would be a defective tire. At any rate as you point out it is NOT normal, the never to tell you that. Nissan... what are you thinking? BS!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This would be while cruising. During acceleration I don't seem to notice it.

Also, it seems as though the vibration moves to the entire vehicle when I get above 65 mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gonzo said:
No vibrations here.... it could be one of two things. The tire is out of balance or warp rotors. Do you have any vibration when braking? The brakes do slightly ride even when not being used but they would have to be real bad for cause a vibratoin when not braking.

Perhaps try another shop for a balance.

I supose a third possibility would be a defective tire. At any rate as you point out it is NOT normal, the never to tell you that. Nissan... what are you thinking? BS!!!
Supposedly, they balanced the tires 3 times and they re-surfaced the rotors once. I am considering another shop.

·
Registered
844 Posts
wra1963 said:

Supposedly, they balanced the tires 3 times and they re-surfaced the rotors once. I am considering another shop.
Has any mech said anything about the CV joints being a possible cause?( vibration from a faulty CV bearing). I do not have any vibration at any speeds, but I have seen this on one of my VW where the CV bearing was failing at the wheel caused by the lack of grease in the bearing. High speed balancing will tell you if there is a problem with either the wheel rim or tire, after that, you need to check the other componets that supplies power to the wheel or possible a faulty strut. One final note, anybody that says that is the way there are designed needs to go back to school or go work for a Ford dealer instead. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
wra1963 said:

I would try another dealer but if not able the fact that they tried 3x and resurfaced tells me that they have experiecned it and agree its not right. (Which it isn't). I would almost say to be very direct and say "look its obviously not right I want a loaner and the MO stays here until its fixed."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the kicker,.... what if I told you all that I also drove another one of the dealerhip's new 2005 MOs and that vehicle had the same shimmy in the steering wheel as mine. The only seemingly difference is that mine was a little more frequent and noticeable. Any thoughts on that? :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
When my 20" wheels were on the Murano, I had the exact same problem. The wheels fell out of balance and I had them re-balanced twice. The steering wheel continued to shake. I complained to the dealer and they said it was my wheels.

I finally took my Murano to a second shop to get them "road-force" balanced. I still had a little shimmy in the steering wheel but most of the vibration was gone.

My 20s are getting repolished right now and I've been riding on my stock wheels for the past couple of weeks. There is absolutely no shake in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Needed New Rotors

Problem Resolved. I repeat PROBLEM RESOLVED. New rotors were put on my vehicle and the pulsation is no longer there. This is what I had been telling the service manager at Tischer Nissan in Laurel MD. But for whatever reason, he wanted to keep trying to balance the tires and did not want to replace the rotors. So, I went to another dealership and they re-surfaced (for the second time) the rotors correctly. That fixed the problem. However, because the rotors had now been re-surfaced twice I wanted them replaced due to the fact that the life of the rotors had now been decreased. So, I called Nissan Motor Corp. and spoke to them and they were very understanding and authorized the dealership to replace the rotors with new ones.

So,.... if you're having this problem and balancing the tires won't fix the problem, it's probably the rotors. Try to get them replaced, especially if re-surfacing them does not solve the problem.

I believe that some of the Muranos have this problem and of course if you don't know how a quality car should ride (which I believe some of these mechanics don't) then you won't notice the problem. But I have driven Nissans for over 20 years (with a mix of Toyotas, Lexus, and Honda) and have never had one to drive like this one did. So I knew that there was a problem. But the problem has been resolved. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts