Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a quick background.
I recently traded up from an Blk '03 AWD SL to a Plat '05 AWD SL.
Other than the norm rattles and such, the '03 was flawless. I snagged it early (Dec '02) when there were barely any Muranos on the road here.
Anyway, I've had the '05 for only a few months now, but have had an issue with steering vibration starting in the 40-45mph range since picking it up. I drove it off the dealers lot w/ 5 miles on it. Hadn't even been on a test drive.
So I take it back to the dealer the day after I picked it up, as the vibration was noticable immediately. Dealer calls and says it was the balancing and it's good to go. I ask them if they are sure and did they check the alignment just to be sure and they said yes.
So I pick it up and almost right away I can still feel the vibration.:mad:
I take it back again. Well, turns out they didn't check the alignment the 1st time and say that they re-aligned and drove it and it's good to go.
This time it's slightly better, but not fixed.:3:
So, I lose my patience w/ dealer #1 and take it to another local Nissan dealer and explain the problem. They tell me that the pinion oil seal is leaking and the front toe needs adjusting. So they take care of the necessary repairs (this is mid-May) and all seemed ok.
Now, just in the past couple of weeks, it's doing it again. WTF?
I will obviously be taking back to the dealer, AGAIN- but wondered if anyone has dealt with this type of recurring issue.
Thanks in advance.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
How noticable is the vibration you are experiencing? I have noticed just a slight jitter at times in the 50mph range, but I figured it's just the tires getting older (about 30k on them right now)... Is your steering wheel seriously wobbling, or is it just a little rattle?

Sorry I don't have a solution for you!:2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VG. said:
How noticable is the vibration you are experiencing? I have noticed just a slight jitter at times in the 50mph range, but I figured it's just the tires getting older (about 30k on them right now)... Is your steering wheel seriously wobbling, or is it just a little rattle?

Sorry I don't have a solution for you!:2:
It's very noticable at almost exactly 45mph. Nothing like a violent shaking, but definitely more than a slight jitter.
After the last dealer "fix", it was pretty much gone, but after several weeks it seemed to be creeping its way back to being very noticable.
I am still only at about 2500 mi.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Did you notice the vibration after a wheel rotation? It is possible that a balance weight has come off and with the wheel being in the front, you notice the vibration in your steering wheel. Parking for long periods of time also "flattens" the tires in the spot the car was parked and will cause noticable vibration until tire reforms itself. Maximizing tire air pressure will help fix that.

Except for a "flattened" tire, steering vibration is almost always as the result of wheel or suspension assembly, including drive axle, not being properly balanced. One quick way to narrow it down just to the wheels is to move the front wheels to the rear and rear to the front. If steering vibration goes away or becomes less, then one or two wheels that used to be in the front need to be balanced. If it does not make any difference, I would have the dealer check for bad axles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
greenshirt77 said:
Ok, a quick background.
I recently traded up from an Blk '03 AWD SL to a Plat '05 AWD SL.

So I pick it up and almost right away I
I will obviously be taking back to the dealer, AGAIN- but wondered if anyone has dealt with this type of recurring issue.
Thanks in advance.
Yes, I've had a similar problem with other vehicles I've owned.
Insist on "Road Force Balancing" as opposed to regular "Dynamic Spin Balancing". It takes a special balancer that is now very common (Hunter Balancer for example). Many Nissan and Tire Dealers usually have these machines.
Rich E :4: :4:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Problem with my '04SL, major vibration and steering wheel shaking. Took the vehicle to the tire dealer (Goodyear) several times and he could not stop the vibration. Seems to have started after the first rotate/balance of the tires. Brought the vehicle to the dealer because it was pulling slightly to the right and wanted to have the alignment checked. As they do not have an alignment machine they sent me to a local alignment shop for the work. I mentioned the vibration problem and they said it was a tire balance problem. They did a four wheel alignment and rebalanced the tires and the problem went away. Silkey smooth now. Worker at the alignment shop said the tires were way off balance and was not supprised the vibration was so bad. FYI the Goodyear dealer used clamp-on weights instead of the stick-on ones. Once the clamp-on ones were removed and new stick-on weights added it is great.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Any decent shop knows that you don't use clamp on weights on non steel wheels. They probably scratched your wheels too. If they can't even do a simple job as a tire balance, they must be very incompetent anyways so I should not expect much from them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts