Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving Mo for couple of years, but only couple days ago I find out that Mo has a steering wheel lock build in. I am not sure if you guys know that but I just want to share. So if you turn the wheel about 60-70 degrees to the right and remove the ignition key, you will get the lock. Weird that I did not find out before, I thought with all that security and intelligent keys manufactures not putting those things to new cars any longer. I am still feeling weird…:werd:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Murano_driver-

Isn't it nice to still learn something new about your MO?

The following is from the 2005 Owner's Manual. It applies to both the standard and Intelligent Key equipped MOs.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Didn't mom told you: "Read the manual".....:D :D

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Ah yea, my 1987 Pulsar and 1982 Mazda had the same. Isn't it standard in every car?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gonzo said:
Ah yea, my 1987 Pulsar and 1982 Mazda had the same. Isn't it standard in every car?
i thought every car has this lock. i didn't know it was a feature.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
the vista cruiser I drove in 74 had it

:2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
i read that it was invented by GM to prevent theft at the time but is now easily defeated...is that true?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
maximus96 said:
i read that it was invented by GM to prevent theft at the time but is now easily defeated...is that true?
Don't know about that but my 1957 DKW (german made-predecessor to Audi) had the steering lock too

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The Ford Model T could be purchased with locking steering wheel. It was a dealer installed option made by Fox. That puts it back about 1927 or earlier............

Homer

·
Registered
184 Posts
anything is easily defeated now a days. you can have the best factory anti-thieft system, and they'll still steal your car. i heard that now a days they just read your vin # and then go to a nissan dealer to claim that they lost the keys to their car. then the dealer (doesn't have to be local) just make them another key. they fork out the few $$ for the key at the dealers. walk up to your car and drive it off with an original key. that's why i put tape over my vin # so you can not see it from the outside now...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Every car has it.

The reason why it is ineffective is because if they can jack the ignition switch and start the car with say, a screwdriver, it also disables the locked steering wheel. Now the Murano uses a computer coded key to prevent starting without the key, but there are ways to get around that as well I am sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is some more info concerning stealing cars with just VINs.

VIN Car Thieves

There may be some places where covering the VIN plate is illegal.

Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I believe the steering wheel lock is not a theft deterant system, but rather a safety feature. If parking on a hill, you can lock the wheels so that if the car starts to roll, the wheels won't straighten out.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:
I believe the steering wheel lock is not a theft deterant system, but rather a safety feature. If parking on a hill, you can lock the wheels so that if the car starts to roll, the wheels won't straighten out.
Hmmm I never knew that. I always curb my wheels so the car cannot roll anyways. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts