Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Murano last night and husband drove it home.

When I drove to work this morning, I noticed that the steering wheel is off center.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it an easy fix? It is really bugging me.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,136 Posts
caribbeansoul said:
Bought a new Murano last night and husband drove it home.

When I drove to work this morning, I noticed that the steering wheel is off center.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it an easy fix? It is really bugging me.

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations, and welcome to the board.

Do you experience any "pulling"? Off center steering and pulling issues seem to be very common with Muranos. It probably has to do with the way they tie down the cars on the ship on the way to here.

Dealer should be able to perform a 4 weel alignment to correct the problem. If you experience excessive "pulling" though I recommend showing it to an "expert" shop to check for any damaged suspension parts before you take it to the dealer. That way will you save the headache of multiple visists to the dealer as they are not known for getting the problems resolved in one visit!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Z,

I have only driven it 8 miles and was hypnotized by the steering wheel being off centered and frankly didn't notice anything else, like pulling.

I'm going to really drive that baby tonite, both on our not so great city roads and on the interstate and see if I notice anything else.

Will post results.

Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hey caribbean soul,
Here's my experiences with the steering. I bought a 05 SE in california on our cross country drive home to NJ. Our old pathfinder died so we had to get a new car, but I immediatley noticed this as well. It pulled a little left, just a tad from the first or second day on the road. Now 10K miles later my problem worsened to the point where it was really pulling hard to the left.

I brought it to the dealer the first time during a scheduled 3500 mile service. I told him to check out the alignment as well, they did and said it was perfect as their machine told them.

I get the car back and it seemed a little better, but still pulled left a bit.

I kept driving it not thinking much of it but the problem worsened at around the 8000 mile mark. It was pulling severely to the left. So i brought it back and they said okay yeah there is a problem and ordered a new left control arm. I waited a week for the part and the following week they put it in. As I drove it home that day it pulled slightly. This was 5 days ago.

I called them up yesterday and told them it was still pulling and the service tech. insisted that it was perfectly aligned. I'm driving home on the phone with him and my car is pulling to the left as we speak yet he thinks it is still perfect. It seems to pull more while on the highway going at speeds above 55 mph.

He then goes to tell me that I have performance tires on them and they're hugging the road?!? I have a stock SE I didn't even know they were performance tires. So to make a long story even longer, I'm going to go to the dealer again and show him the misaligned car.

I don't think these techs can figure out the problem but I don't want to pay out of pocket for a aligment specialist to fix it.

Is there any way that I can have Nissan pay for a specialist to service it?

Anyone else have steering problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
My 05 had the same problem, off center and pulling to the left. After having a 4 wheel alignment done, the steering wheel is now centered but was still pulling.
The culprit were those crappy Goodyear tires, they finally did a cross rotation and the pulling went away.
Going to wait till the next tire rotation and if it returns, I'm going after Goodyear !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I just brought my car to a specialized wheel alignment place and they told me all it needed was a good alignment. He said the NIssan guys didn't do anything right. I got the car back and now it seems like it's pulling a little to the right. Same amount but other side.
Also i think the nissan dealer guys are inept at this. I looked at my wheels and there were about 10-15 weights lining my rear right wheel. I know it's for balancing, but would it have any effect on my pull? I feel like they just threw them on there to see if it does anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
pk7683 said:
I looked at my wheels and there were about 10-15 weights lining my rear right wheel. I know it's for balancing, but would it have any effect on my pull? I feel like they just threw them on there to see if it does anything.
The weights are there for a purpose, and they have no effect what so ever on the alignment or pull. If, as you say, they just threw them on, then you would be experiencing one hell of a vibration from your right-rear.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
caribbeansoul-

Your car is brand spanking new. If it is not 100% to your liking, then contact the dealer and have him investigate and correct the problem(s). They owe it to you to have your car in perfect running condition.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I bought an 05 in August and had the same problem. After about 3 alignments at the dealer and 1 from my local mechanic (who finally got it right) I'm back to almost 100% now.

I've owned 4 NIssans in the past 13 years (2 pathfinders, 1 xterra and this Murano) and I have NEVER had perfect alignment w/ any of them.


You're right about being mesmerized by it. I find myself constantly checking the alignment when I'm on the highway. Even when I know it's wrong, I guess I'm just hoping it will right itself. :-(

anyway, find a good trusted mechanic who specializes in alignment and you should be able to get back to normal. THe problem w/ dealers and national tire shops is that they don't like messing w/ the camber when doing adjustments so if everything else is within MFR specifications they will tell you all is well even when you KNOW it isn't right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
caribbeansoul said:
Bought a new Murano last night and husband drove it home.

When I drove to work this morning, I noticed that the steering wheel is off center.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it an easy fix? It is really bugging me.

Thanks in advance.
If I read your post right, you didnt say anything about pulling to left or right while driving. Just that when you look a the steering wheel it is not centered. I remember someone else on here that had that problem and they took it back to the dealer and it was adjusted and centered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
This is from another post, sounds similar to your problem




Here's one for you....

My steering wheel was not properly aligned when I purhased my MO. It didn't pull one way or the other, but my steering wheel was off center about an inch to the left and the wheels pointed straight.

After a ~500 mile highway trip within the breakin period it was perfect. I had already called the dealer to schedule to have it fixed. I've never experienced this with a car before. Any thoughts?


__________________
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
Sounds like the old Loose Steering rack trick.
The Steering rack was not tightened down.
There is a TSB.
The TSB fixed mine, which would clunk in and out.
My car must have been built in Detroit.:rolleyes:

Homer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Well, it's good to know I am not alone. What really worries me is to see that no one has actually been able to correct his/her alignment problems.

In my case, I sent my murano for the 40,000 km (25000 miles)service at the dealer, and when they returned the SUV, it had lost alignment and now it pulls to the left, wheel off center and everything. Since then it's been many returns to the dealer. They changed both control arms because they were damaged, but the car keeps pulling to the left (always to the left) especially if I am going fast (maybe 60 mph), and if the street is a little damaged or if it has a little decline to the left it gets a lot worse. (when the decline is to the right it actually keeps going straight instead of going to the right)

The dealer has given me many different reasons, including tire wear and bad alignment (the alignment has always been according to specs), they even took the car to an outside alignment expert, but so far the problem persists.

What I think now is that if the car was once aligned, there must not be a reason why it can't be aligned again. I am sure there must be something else damaged in the suspension but they haven't been able to find it. I am really picky, so I am taking it to a different dealer for one last try, if they can't fix it, then it's gone for good and I will never buy another nissan in my life.

Please, if anyone had the same problem and was actually able to fix it, let me know.

Thanks


pk7683 said:
Hey caribbean soul,
Here's my experiences with the steering. I bought a 05 SE in california on our cross country drive home to NJ. Our old pathfinder died so we had to get a new car, but I immediatley noticed this as well. It pulled a little left, just a tad from the first or second day on the road. Now 10K miles later my problem worsened to the point where it was really pulling hard to the left.

I brought it to the dealer the first time during a scheduled 3500 mile service. I told him to check out the alignment as well, they did and said it was perfect as their machine told them.

I get the car back and it seemed a little better, but still pulled left a bit.

I kept driving it not thinking much of it but the problem worsened at around the 8000 mile mark. It was pulling severely to the left. So i brought it back and they said okay yeah there is a problem and ordered a new left control arm. I waited a week for the part and the following week they put it in. As I drove it home that day it pulled slightly. This was 5 days ago.

I called them up yesterday and told them it was still pulling and the service tech. insisted that it was perfectly aligned. I'm driving home on the phone with him and my car is pulling to the left as we speak yet he thinks it is still perfect. It seems to pull more while on the highway going at speeds above 55 mph.

He then goes to tell me that I have performance tires on them and they're hugging the road?!? I have a stock SE I didn't even know they were performance tires. So to make a long story even longer, I'm going to go to the dealer again and show him the misaligned car.

I don't think these techs can figure out the problem but I don't want to pay out of pocket for a aligment specialist to fix it.

Is there any way that I can have Nissan pay for a specialist to service it?

Anyone else have steering problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
I'm sure all are having these allignment issues but just in case please be sure you are driving on a level part of the road and NOT on the side of a crown. If it is a two lane road and there isn't any traffic try diving in middle on the yellow line. See if it pulls, or if on a three lane highway drive in the middle lane.

My suggestion just to be sure. With MO's newer than '03 I would think the allignment from Nissan would be 100% is that is not something the dealer is going to touch during car preparation prior to delivery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I finally brought it to a alignment specialist and it seemed to have doen the trick. The alignment spec. said that all he did was a regular alignment. It seemed pretty good after he fixed it, but I guess no car is perfect. This def. is a pretty common problem, but there are so many different variables that come into play, who knows if it's the road or just us or whatever factors it could be? Anyone else have this many steering/alignment issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the great feedback. Yep, I took it straight away to my local Nissan dealership and after a short wait was on my way! The alignment was off just a little.

Again, thanks, and now I'll post on a new freaky problem :)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top