Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member here!

I bought a 2003 sunlit copper Murano last year in December, and I love it! Hopefully will be getting one of the new models soon, but back to what this post is about. Ever since I bought the car, whenever I'm driving 50+mph, the steering wheel shakes and vibrates, when I brought it back to the dealer they told me I needed new tires for it to stop, but they tires are only about 8 months old, because they apparently put new tires on when they got the car. What do you guys think the problem is and what should I do?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Before getting new tires, get those wheel/tires balanced.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You couldn't get better suggestions from the posts above plus it's cheaper to have wheels and tires balanced rather than throwing parts at unrelated issues. I had the same vibration also a while back and it wasn't until I had the car ROADFORCE balanced that they found that I had two bent rims. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shaking 50+

I got new tires, had front end inspected with suspension, then new outer tie rod ends, then 2nd balance on tires, then new wheel bearings, Road Forced (with alignment) on Tuesday (8-09-11) and STILL SHAKES at 52 and above! Could this be the (TSB report) front rack issue? Also have NEW transfer case! Engine mounts are good as well.
Any ideas????? HELP????
I drive to NY 3 times a year and don't think I can handle 1644 miles of shaking. I've run out of ideas!!

2003 SL AWD with 110,000.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
I think at this point I'd be checking the wheels to make sure one isn't bent or damaged. As an old tire guy once told me, you can balance a square block but you can't make it ride smoothly. The same is true for a wheel that's bent.

I'm wondering if one of the rims is out or round or bent. If that were the case, it woudl probably be on the front end now - rotating the wheels front and rear would tell you - if the shake went away, it's something about the wheels/tires which were on the front of the car before rotation.

Unless there's perceptible slack in the steering gear, I doubt it's the rack. I'd have to think they would have discovered a loose/bad rack while doing the inspection and tie rod ends.

Also makes me wonder about the CV joints in the front axles. I haven't seen one cause shaking, but at 52 MPH they're rotating pretty fast.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Balance and rotate them, they might be worn in a odd manor, if that doesn't do it, then its the ball joints

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im on a 2nd set of wheels (rims) and tires. It seemed to get worse after the first balancing but better with having Road Force done last week. Still not gone thought and now ive noticed that is comes and goes. I set my cruise control at 59 mph and steering wheel was shaking and vibrating, still on cruise at 59 mph and it went away. Then back again. I didn't stop or slow down at any point and road conditions also didnt change.
So far the following has been done:
1. New tires (had shaking & vibating with old tires but not as bad after I had the half shaft seal replaced for leaking).
2. Road Force/Alignment
3. Transfer Case replaced
4. Suspension Check. (Said all was tight and in good shape).
5. New Front Rotors and Pads.
They said they were stumped and I had ONE MORE CHOICE.....Sell my beloved Murano. I stated NOT AN OPTION!!!
I'm now lost on what to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im on a 2nd set of wheels (rims) and tires. It seemed to get worse after the first balancing but better with having Road Force done last week. Still not gone thought and now ive noticed that is comes and goes. I set my cruise control at 59 mph and steering wheel was shaking and vibrating, still on cruise at 59 mph and it went away. Then back again. I didn't stop or slow down at any point and road conditions also didnt change.
So far the following has been done:
1. New tires (had shaking & vibating with old tires but not as bad after I had the half shaft seal replaced for leaking).
2. Road Force/Alignment
3. Transfer Case replaced
4. Suspension Check. (Said all was tight and in good shape).
5. New Front Rotors and Pads.
They said they were stumped and I had ONE MORE CHOICE.....Sell my beloved Murano. I stated NOT AN OPTION!!!
I'm now lost on what to do.

**UPDATE**
I had my Ball joints checked and they are in excellent condition!!! Found out that the axle shaft seal that was replaced on 7-1-11 was leaking and needs to be replaced AGAIN! But idk if that would cause intermittent shaking/vibrating in the steering wheel.?.?:confused:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Something else to check on AWDs is the rear drive shaft and Ujoints. If they have play and are worn they too can cause vibration/rumbles at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My MO's vibrating comes and goes. goes for about 2 minutes then is back for 5 min. Could a bad rear diff mount be the culprit? My passengers seat (when empty) vibrates at highway speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My MO's vibrating comes and goes. goes for about 2 minutes then is back for 5 min. Could a bad rear diff mount be the culprit? My passengers seat (when empty) vibrates at highway speeds.
Rear drive shaft looks good but im not sure how much play should be in the center drive shaft mount. There seems to be a lot but the mount doesnt have any drying or cracks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The center support bearing/bushing should be free of any cracks/breaks/tears. It should have some play in it since its mainly rubber so it should be ok. What about the universal joints, are they nice and tight? If the slide up or down or sideways even a couple MM they are worn out and could cause a vibration. You can try removing it all together and driving it to see if it goes away!

But if your feeling it from the back side could be a few things. Could be a bad wheel bearing, warped brake rotor, dragging brake pad or parking brake shoe, out of balance tire and/or rim or hard spot on the tire.

Its weird that you say it goes away and comes back, if its any of those items it should do it all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had new tires put on 9 months ago (Kumhos). I had a very light shaking in the steering wheel but lived with it. Then the TC went out and I had that replaced, the mechanic noticed the oil cooler was leaking so I replaced the seal. A week later, I noticed a leak and took it in. It was the DS font axle seal. Had that replaced on 7-1-11 along with the outer tie rods and noticed that I no longer had any shaking or vibrating. Wheel bearing started humming on the PS front. Replaced both fonts.

Tires now pretty worn after 20K so I bought a slightly used set at the beginning of this month. Thats when the vibrating/shaking came back. So 2 days later, I went in and bought a brand new set of Bridgestones and had them mounted and balanced, Shaking still there. Brought it back in with a NEW set of aftermarket 18" rims and had the tires changed over and Road Forced along with alignment (was toed out in back and toed in on the front pretty bad, hence killing the tires in 20K miles). SHAKE STILL THERE! UGGH!!!!

Was in again today to verify the shocks/struts, ball joints, Ujoints, CV's and engine mounts. All are found to be in good condition. The rear diff mount/bushing is dry though. All fluid leaked out early spring.
Im stumped and dont know where to go from here.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called the Nissan dealer here (Motorville Nissan)but they were booked 2.5 weeks out and I wanted to get answers sooner. So I hit Meyer Import Autos, a well established foreign car garage that ive had work on my past foreign cars (where they know you by name and don't charge extra if you bring in your own parts). I guess to the Nissan dealer next. :27:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the Axle seal to the TC replaced AGAIN and now the intermittent shaking is WORSE! I am leaning towards the axle shaft itself.?.?
Looking for any input.
Thanks guys! :29:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey guys, new member here!

I bought a 2003 sunlit copper Murano last year in December, and I love it! Hopefully will be getting one of the new models soon, but back to what this post is about. Ever since I bought the car, whenever I'm driving 50+mph, the steering wheel shakes and vibrates, when I brought it back to the dealer they told me I needed new tires for it to stop, but they tires are only about 8 months old, because they apparently put new tires on when they got the car. What do you guys think the problem is and what should I do?
Whatever happened to your problem ? This thread was hijacked so your issues were forgotten alltogether....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts