Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something last night. I may have missed it all along, but...

Has anyone noticed that the ride of their MO gets more harsh as the miles add on? I'm up to 12,500 miles and I swear it seems the ride is more stiff than ever before.

What factors influence ride quality other than the obvious ones? My tires are at 33 PSI cold, around 36 PSI when hot. They've always been that way.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I've noticed the cold weather makes the suspension stiffer.

·
5,268 Posts
I am getting quite opposite feeling..............I think the suspension is getting softer now (11K miles).............but that again I just might to compare it to FX...........

anyway, sometime I wish I got SE...............I think we are just getting used to certain things.........

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be the cold weather. I think it also has to do with the road I was on. It was nice and smooth a few months ago and now it is much more bumpy and pothole-y.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yeah, with all the switching between really warm and really cold this winter, the roads around here are cracked and heaved really badly.

·
59 Posts
Cold weather is definately a factor. -7 F. degrees this morning. The ride was so harsh that I could barely hang on to my coffee cup without it sloshing all over the place. Should have had a cover on it. And this was on relatively smooth roads. When it's that cold, the whole car responds to minor imperfections and tar cracks in the roadway.

·
101 Posts
I've thought of several factors that make for a harsher ride in cold weather here in Chicago. This comes from my experience with my other cars, but I have just started noticing the same effects in the MO, too.

1- Tires - Unless you're running snow tires, the rubber in the tires gets harder in colder temperatures so they lose some shock absorbing ability.

2- Shocks get stiffer - The juice that runs in the shocks gets more viscous in the cold and as a result, the shocks do not do their job as well. The liquid does get warmed by use (during driving if you go over a lot of bumps) but the shocks still may not ride like they do in warmer temps.

3- Springs get stiffer - Cold can increase the spring rate in the coils to some extent which may result in a harder ride.

4- Seat padding - Cold weather also makes the seat padding (which contains viscoelastic foam of some type) somewhat harder until it warms up. I notice that I ride higher in the seat when I initially get into the vehicle (I can tell by the aim of the rear view mirror). Then as the seat warms up, things get back to normal height. A harder seat will make the ride feel harder.

So you can see that the whole contact path - from the road (tires), through the suspension, through the seat itself, to your butt - gets stiffer as the temps get colder (hopefully not your butt, of course).

Just some personal observations. Wish I could drive to Florida to check them out for sure. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I feel the same, and I thought I'm imagining things.

Instead of driving to Florida, some flMOridians could confirm if their rides have stayed the same over time. That should eliminate this temp factor out of the equation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
more fun

It would be a lot more fun to have a MO Jamboree in Florida! :roadtrip:

·
101 Posts
Brrrrrrrr........IT'S COLD!!

It's a whole SIX FREAKIN' DEGREES (F) outside :13: !! And that's the high for today! I think a stiff butt IS part of the problems* I'm all for a Florida Bash!!

(*see last message)

·
4,664 Posts
Glad I don't live in Chicagoland.... OH no... We get your weather a day later! Ahhhhh..

One solution for a cold Murano, is a garage. I notice a big difference in the ride if I'm coming out of my garage vs. parking it outside in this weather....
:9: :17:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Have not noticed any change in the ride down here in Sunny Fla.

You wouldn't have liked it down here today. It was a brisk 70 degrees.
It's supposed to warm up next week. I can hardly wait.

The other thing that changes the ride characteristics are the Bushings. I have no idea what Nissan uses these days.
But my 77 Z car used soft rubber bushings and those got harder with age and temperature.
I went to Urethane.

Homer

·
Registered
202 Posts
hfelknor said:
You wouldn't have liked it down here today. It was a brisk 70 degrees.
It's supposed to warm up next week.
I'd rather be in Homer's end of the state. Here in North Central Florida, we were in the 50s today and are expected to get down to 25 or so tonight. Waaaaayyyyyy too cold for me!

I haven't noticed any difference in the ride of the Murano with the cold temps (relatively speaking) that we've been having. I usually keep my tires inflated to 33 and find that they're down to 29 when I first start the car in the morning.

Jeff

·
Registered
145 Posts
Way out here in frozen so. cal. It was cold sitting out in the patio of a favorite Santa Barbara restaurant, in a short sleeve shirt. I had to ask the waiter to move the umbrella so the sun could warm us up. I have not noticed the suspension stiffing up. maybe I can check tonight I think it is supposed to get down into the low 50's high 40's. I forgot to mention it was at a beautiful golf course. Sorry I mentioned that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've noticed a difference but thought it was just me imagining things. I do need to check the tire pressure though with the freezing weather we've been having. Will do that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Has anyone noticed that in very cold temperatures, when the engine is still cold, there is a noticeable growl when you accelerate? It goes away when the engine warms up to operating temperature. I kind of blame it on the cold weather, but I wonder why the growl is present! Not that I don't like it, it reminds me of how a VQ with a cone intake sounds like.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I've noticed it. Hear it every day, these days. I don't particularily like it, but I don't mind it. I wonder if it is caused by the exhaust being cold, or something else.

·
101 Posts
I hear it, too. Can only speculate that the engine fluids (oils) are very viscous from being cold and you're hearing/feeling the noise from rotating and reciprocating engine parts moving (slapping, churning, winding, etc.) through the thick fluid. And who knows how the lubrication flows through the CVT? Just a theory.

I've also noticed a LOT of steam coming from the exhaust, too. It's enough to steam up the rear and side windows sometimes. I know it's supposed to go away after the engine and exhaust system warm up, but that's not happening with this vehicle. It happens even in the 30's. Do you think this engine/catalytic/muffler system generates that much moisture? I don't smell any anti-freeze in the steam which might indicate a head leak.

·
4,664 Posts
You guys have no idea how sad I am for you...

It's going to be 17 tomorrow!!! Oh, wait, that's -17 C... Never mind...:D

·
5,268 Posts
I feel sorry for you jaak! -17 C.............nop, i really prefer palm trees:D

but then again next week it is off to Toronto.........brrrrrrrrr............hope that somebody ordered the right (southern!) weather!:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts