Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, one year old murano's tires are really screwed up. i read that the goodyears that come one it aren't that good. in my case the outer part of the tires is almost bare but the inner part is still fine and the tires just about need replacing b/c the tread ware indicator is starting to show. i was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. ohh by the way, i'm new to this forum. i've been lurking around for the last couple months. i own a 2003 canadian version murano sl luminous gold with caffe latte interior. awesome color. thanx in adavance

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well I haven't had any problems with the ones one the Murano yet, however I had a 2002 Jetta that came with the same tires. I didn't like them at all. The tread was almost used up in about 18,000 but I didn't want to buy new tires until I had to. But I got two flats within 1 weeks of each (bad luck or tires? I dunno), so I bought 4 Bridgestone Potenza Umm I think RE 70's. I don't remember which model of the Potenza but they were far superior than the goodyears. Much quieter, more responsive, better in the rain and heald the pavement like they were made of glue. I can't say much about treadwear on the Bridgestone becase I traded the Jetta for the Murano about 6 months later...
Suffice to say I can't wait to wear out the goodyears on the Murano, or until I get two flats..lol

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting, it seems like a bad alignment, incorrect tire pressure of just purely DREADFULL TIRE.

This is my first Goodyear tire and I do not like it. My wife had a Sebring also with Goodyear tires. I can only say one thing about these tires - EXPENSSIVE. I WILL DEFINITELY REPLACE THEM WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
My Goodyears have 11000 miles on them, and are barely worn.
The outsides gone, centers OK sounds like Major League underinflation to me. Do you have TPMS?

·
Registered
418 Posts
This type of severe wear on one side of tire is not a tire problem, but a mechanical problem; really bad alignment??

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey everyone. thanxs for the super fast replies. i havejust under 16000 km's on the tires. i did tire rotation at 12 grand and alignment at last service. i'm goin in for service in 2 weeks so maybe i can find out if the dealership can do something about it. ohh also another problem that i forgot to mention. does anyone else have rust spots on there oem rims. it's really annoying me all these little problems with this car but i still love it. planning on trading it in for an '04 model se full load with navi. ohh nad hte curent one does not have tpms but i check the tire pressure every week to make sure it's right. thanks again
Krys

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If the outer tread is worn and the center is fine, this is a case of underinflation. If the outer tread is worn but the inner tread (i.e. towards the engine) is fine, this is a either due to too much positive camber (unlikely) or really aggressive driving with hard cornering.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see. i was just thinking about that there is too much positive camber and we do not drive aggresively since work is only a minute away. that's why our milage is so low. i know that aluminum dosn't rust but for some reason there are spots on our rims that look like rust stains and they won't come off even if i use wheel cleaner. ohh and about the camber agian, i just stood behind the murano on a level surface and all of the tires are bent inward. the tops of the tires are sticking out mor the the bottoms. aren't wheels supposed to be set more nagative from the factory to increase handling.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
nissanlove said:
see. i was just thinking about that there is too much positive camber and we do not drive aggresively since work is only a minute away. that's why our milage is so low. i know that aluminum dosn't rust but for some reason there are spots on our rims that look like rust stains and they won't come off even if i use wheel cleaner. ohh and about the camber agian, i just stood behind the murano on a level surface and all of the tires are bent inward. the tops of the tires are sticking out mor the the bottoms. aren't wheels supposed to be set more nagative from the factory to increase handling.
Nissan has a 1yr/12,000 miles adjustment period from purchase of vehicle during which you can get a free alignment from the dealership.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm guessing that the "rust" your seeing on your wheels is actually rail dust that has embedded itself into the surface of the wheel and is what is actually now rusting (not the aluminum wheel).

You can determine if you have this rail dust (or any other surface contaminant) with a plastic sandwich baggie. Put you hand in it (the baggie) and gently rub it over the surface of what you consider a "clean" surface (wheel or paint, both work), if you feel anything like a rough sandpaper through the baggie, then you have surface contaminants and need a clay bar to remove these particles.

You remove these with a clay bar product (Mother's makes a nice one for about widely available in most auto parts stores for about $16).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do you caly bar a wheel and about the 1 yr/1200 miles adjustment period, that already passed us by.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Basically, after the vehicle is washed (preferably using blue dawn diswashing liquid for a soap) and dried and really clean, you lubricate a small area with the spray bottle of lubricant included in the kit and then gently rub the claybar over the surface.

It picks up the inpurities from the surface. I know it sounds kind of hokey, but trust me, it's an incredible way to really clean the painted surface of either the Murano or the wheels.

Go to the auto parts store and buy the Mother's California Gold clay bar kit and try it. You have nothing to lose at this point if you've already got rust spots on the surface of your aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i'm goin to get service done on monday so we'll see what the dealership can do first and if anything i'll take matters into my own hands. hey, maybe i will get new rims.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, just got back from the service department. nissan is sending down a representative to check out the tire ware problem. the technician said that the alignment is out in the front AND in the rear and that the toe, caster and camber are totally out. so we have to wait and see by the end of the week to see if the rep will give authorization for new tires. ohh and about the rims, the specks of rust were just rail dust, they got it all off.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well , the rep came by and took a look at the specs and gave authorization. so were gettin new tires. couldn't be any happier witht he way nissan handled the problem. good stuff. now i don't have to spend a load of cash on new tires myself.

·
5,268 Posts
This is great! Congratulation.

My problem is different - I put 14K miles and the tires look good. However, they became very noisy. I am not surprised as my wife previous car, Sebring, had Goodyear Eagle tires as well, They were terrible! Very noisy!

I cannot wait for replacement. This are my LAST GOODYEAR TIRES!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts