Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

this is my first post (after reading a lot over the last couple of weeks). I got a new 2006 SL, Touring, VDC, 1 1/2 weeks ago and I really like the car. I have one minor problem and hope that maybe someone has already ran into the same (didn't find anything using the search function) and has a simple solution.

Let me describe:

At random points shortly after starting the clock resets to 1:01.
Here is the sequence of events I see:
- Clock is displaying correct time when display comes on
- Clock does not advance minutes but rest of display works normal (e.g. temperature changes etc.)
- After 3-4 minutes the computer detects that clock is out of whack and restarts clock at 1:01 - clock is advancing minutes as usual (1:02, 1:03 etc) from that point on.

It happens in very unpredictable intervals - around 5 times since I got the car, last occurance was last night - last one before that was 5 days ago...
I am a bit worried if I try to get the dealer to fix it it's one of those 'we can't reproduce the problem'.....

Hoping for advice

And thanks for all the great information that helped me to pick the perfect car for me....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't recall hearing anything like that on this forrum... the only think I can think of trying would be to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so and then try it again. That might reset the "resetting" problem. :p

So I presume you keep resetting the system to the correct time? Do you radio presets hold their memory?

If not off to the dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - I keep resetting the time to the proper time...
All other settings (e.g. Radio preset, Bass/Treble, Seat Memory, A/C Temperature, Trip Odometers, ....) are not lost and are fine...

Just did the battery disconnect - definitely resets things as the radio memories where gone etc... I will post again (hopefully in a couple of days saying it's not happening any more :cool: )....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update:
The problem is still there. I made an appointment with the dealership for Thursday... Will report back afterwards...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Good luck at the dealership. Make sure you show them exactly what the problem is (not just tell them), to reduce the chance that you get the dreaded "could not reproduce" line on your service write up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at the dealership yesterday... Since this doesn't happen every time I had a very detailed writeup (kind of like what I put here) with me. They called in the lead tech for electronics (who was apparently slated to start late that day as the shop is open from 7:00am to 9:00pm). About 40 minutes after I got there I was done for the day - they had to order parts and will call me when they are in. So I didn't get the 'can't reproduce' line - of course I hope that what they ordered is what fixes the issue...
I suspect the next visit will be early next week... I'll keep you posted ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick - and not so good - update:
The Display Control Unit (the part that was ordered) is on backorder. They don't have an ETA yet...
I must say that's the first time that I have had that happen (backorder on a part for a car). Is that common with Nissan?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
geobernd said:
A quick - and not so good - update:
The Display Control Unit (the part that was ordered) is on backorder. They don't have an ETA yet...
I must say that's the first time that I have had that happen (backorder on a part for a car). Is that common with Nissan?

It is extremely common. Usually dealers do not stock parts that do not break frequently, so they have to order whatever they will replace. Your case is the first time I've heard of that part failing, so I am not surprised it might take a while to send the part over from the supplier (as opposed from within Nissan's own distributor network).

Sometimes during a recall campaign, the parts that are replaced will go on backorder if the manufacturer doesn't allocate supply accordingly. During the Murano alternator recall, the internal recall form for Nissan specifically said they had given thought towards making sure there were enough units available for dealers to special order for the recall.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
geobernd-

Backorder!?! They have got to be kidding. Did they give you an ETA?

You have a 2006 model so it is a safe bet that the Display Control Unit is still an active part, and may even be used on the 2007 models.

If Nissan-USA really gave a damn about customer support they could have a replacement part FedEx'd to the dealer in a few days.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
njjoe said:
geobernd-

Backorder!?! They have got to be kidding. Did they give you an ETA?

-njjoe

Wow you guys are tough.... its just a clock.. the car is running... all is safe. The part will come in and repaired under warranty. Its a Nissan... if you want that kind of service conside a Lexus or MB.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:

Wow you guys are tough.... its just a clock.. the car is running... all is safe. The part will come in and repaired under warranty. Its a Nissan... if you want that kind of service consider a Lexus or MB.
At what point did we lower our standards? At what dollar threshold do we expect satisfactory service?

The MO is not an entry-level vehicle. At $35,000 a ride I want to know that it is working as advertised. And when something fails on a new MO I expect it to be repaired quickly.

After spending $35,000 on a consumer product do you not think it is reasonable to expect that even an item as simple as a clock should work, and if it doesn't should it not be repaired quickly?

Why should we lower our expectations to meet their service levels?

-njjoe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not upset (yet) - I figure someone is trying to tell me to be less anal about time ;)

What surprises me is the backorder thing... It's over a week since they placed the order and nothing in the world should take that long.

I can order a complete Laptop from HP on Thursday - get it built in 12 hours - shipped on Friday from Asia and it's in New York at my Doorstep 9:30am Monday morning - and that's their normal process....
Looks like Nissan has some serious catching up on internation supply chain management to do....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
njjoe said:

At what point did we lower our standards?
Why should we lower our expectations to meet their service levels?

-njjoe
That is my point... I never had such expectations.... its a Nissan, all beit a $35,000 Nissan but still a Nissan. I wounldn't have expected a clock to arrive quickly but then again its just me. Maybe its people like me that cause Nissan to have poor service. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:

That is my point... I never had such expectations.... its a Nissan, all beit a $35,000 Nissan but still a Nissan. I wounldn't have expected a clock to arrive quickly but then again its just me. Maybe its people like me that cause Nissan to have poor service. :rolleyes:
I admit I've gotten used to it too, but you'd get the same treatment at Toyota or Honda dealers, so its a wash. (Cue former Toyota and Honda owners who will chime in here with "but I had one and their dealers were way better than Nissan....")

Simply put, as long as the car runs, the part that failed is not "critical" and if its an uncommonly replaced part (like a display controller), I do not find it surprising it is backordered and will take a while to deliver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They seem to be going the way of our big, fat, to H$$L with our customers like GM's Ford CO's We now have 3 Nissans in our family, Xtera, Frontier, and now the Murano! The Boss is in love with HER MURANO and i think i would come out the worst if she had to make a choice of me or the car ??? It is a fine unit! But the service is atrocious!!! The Frontier 05 has been in & out of the dealer so much they promised me a tank of gas (but reneged) The Xtera is a tough one and hope the new one follows it and not the truck! Hope they are watching these sites and get better. Some one said that the dealer in deadland was great, so i went to check em out! Bought the frontier there JEEZ was that a mistake!!! I have to say most all car sales folk lie! But these folk are !!!?.

·
Registered
63 Posts
what you should do untill the part comes in, is start the car just before 1pm and hopefully it will reset itself around 1:01 :2:
Cheers,
Konrad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like that

:rolleyes:

Now if I could tell my boss I won't be in the office before 2pm any more because my car's clock is off otherwise :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Woo hoo! So I'm not crazy!!! I picked up my 06 Murano S on 2-4-06 and the clock setting was wrong, no biggie, figured it just needed set. Beginning 2-7 and every 3 to 4 days it would just randomly reset. Dealer replaced the display. Next morning, clock was reset again. At first I thought it was resetting to random times but over the months I've decided I just didn't notice but more often than not I would notice it at about 1:02 or 1:11. I've had the dealer check it out 3 or 4 times. No luck.

There was no previous report of this problem, altho I found this board in searching for an answer and previously posted about it here. My dealer made a report with Nissan (supposedly) in case anyone else had this problem.

Since April this problem has almost resolved itself which is incredibly mysterious to me. It reset in late April, in mid May and not again until early July. In early July I left home at 8:55 to go to work, noted the time because I was early (!). Got to my office, about 3 minutes away and as I was turning off the ignition I glanced at the clock and "thought" it still said 8:55. To determine my level of insanity I turned the ignition on and the clock display showed 1:00. I think the clock locks up and eventually resets itself. Oddly enough, it has worked fine since that day, no further resets...yet. I'm not naive enough to believe this problem is solved as such things just don't fix themselves. Sorry you've got the problem too but it is heartening to know that I have someone to relate to.

This is not a big issue, but certainly an ongoing irritation. Someone at Nissan N A actually told me to just be glad it wasn't the transmission or something. At least THAT would have been fixed!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's quite interesting - I am not alone :)

Actually - the part came in this week and I have an appointment for 8am Monday morning... I'll keep the finger's crossed that they have ordered the right thing to fix it.... Mine happens almost every day and I certainly will not accept that without a fix.....
Part that was ordered is a 28330-CC21A and then some other number CSC 20437339 (whatever that means)....
I'll report back (hopefully positive)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me know if your repair works.

My dealers repair tickets shows they "replaced the audio face plate", "replaced the switch assy-aud (fp-28395-CC2200). Replacement of these items did not fix the problem. However, time seems to, which I don't understand at all. I can't imagine what would cause this but my fear is that it is electrical in nature. I will watch closely and become more aggressive the closer I get to the end of my warranty period.

After replacement of the aforementioned parts they tell me they cannot duplicate the problem so they have no further suggestions for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts