Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've searched the forum for this particular set of symptoms but to no avail.

I get a very strange engine vibration/shudder/shake - it feels almost as if the engine was about to stall out. I noticed this first when the engine was idling as I was setting at a red light. But what's interesting is that this vibration does not seem to affect the engine speed. The tachometer gauge does not seem to move erratically as it would when the engine is stalling out.

What's more interesting is that now I have observed this particular engine shutter at all different speeds (both engine and vehicle speeds), but again - the RPMS appear steady with no fluctuations.

Sometimes, this symptoms is accompanied by a strange metallic noise - this metallic clatter, kinda like you hear when you have a bad muffler that you know has a lot of loose metal debris inside.

What's more is that the shaking also occurs in most shifter positions: P, N, D. It could happen in R, but I haven't observed it yet. This problem presented itself couple days ago and occurs at least 4 or 5 times during 30 min. drive.

I have not observed any loss of power. I have observed a gunky/oily substance spilled/sprayed all over the engine oil filter (top of it), and below it, but I suspect that's some mud that I must have driven thru b/c all oils, and fluids are in the correct ranges. I was temped to suspect that my Murano had sprung a leak somewhere because it is really hard to tell whether this substance is mud or not - it's kinda oily but after I've cleaned it up I cannot see where it would be coming from. This gunky substance is probably not related to the symptoms but i wasn't certain so I included it for completeness. Sorry for the long email - any ideas? I intend on taking it to the deal sometime, but was hoping on Murano.org braintrust to give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The metallic clatter seems to be coming from the engine compartment. Also, I opened the hood when it was vibrating and did not notice vaccum leaks or anything. The MAF sensor assembly seems to be air tight (has a problem with it in the past). Again, the engine maintained about 500 RPM-600 RPM at idle speed and the engine would shake and shudder intermittently.

Btw, it is a Nissan Murano 2004 SL, FWD with 70k miles.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
myMoo said:
Hello all,
I've searched the forum for this particular set of symptoms but to no avail.

I get a very strange engine vibration/shudder/shake - it feels almost as if the engine was about to stall out. I noticed this first when the engine was idling as I was setting at a red light. But what's interesting is that this vibration does not seem to affect the engine speed. The tachometer gauge does not seem to move erratically as it would when the engine is stalling out.

What's more interesting is that now I have observed this particular engine shutter at all different speeds (both engine and vehicle speeds), but again - the RPMS appear steady with no fluctuations.

Sometimes, this symptoms is accompanied by a strange metallic noise - this metallic clatter, kinda like you hear when you have a bad muffler that you know has a lot of loose metal debris inside.

What's more is that the shaking also occurs in most shifter positions: P, N, D. It could happen in R, but I haven't observed it yet. This problem presented itself couple days ago and occurs at least 4 or 5 times during 30 min. drive.

I have not observed any loss of power. I have observed a gunky/oily substance spilled/sprayed all over the engine oil filter (top of it), and below it, but I suspect that's some mud that I must have driven thru b/c all oils, and fluids are in the correct ranges. I was temped to suspect that my Murano had sprung a leak somewhere because it is really hard to tell whether this substance is mud or not - it's kinda oily but after I've cleaned it up I cannot see where it would be coming from. This gunky substance is probably not related to the symptoms but i wasn't certain so I included it for completeness. Sorry for the long email - any ideas? I intend on taking it to the deal sometime, but was hoping on Murano.org braintrust to give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The metallic clatter seems to be coming from the engine compartment. Also, I opened the hood when it was vibrating and did not notice vaccum leaks or anything. The MAF sensor assembly seems to be air tight (has a problem with it in the past). Again, the engine maintained about 500 RPM-600 RPM at idle speed and the engine would shake and shudder intermittently.

Btw, it is a Nissan Murano 2004 SL, FWD with 70k miles.
It could be a problem with the electronic engine mounts. The fact that RPMs do not change suggest something is not damping vibrations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check the engine mounts a bit closer tomorrow. One other thing that a friend of mine suggested is the obvious: spark plugs and wires. Could these symptoms be explained by a cylinder that misses every once in a while? I have not changed the spark plugs yet and the vehicle has 70k miles.

PS. I noticed that the fuel filter is in the fuel tank or rather in a fuel pump assembly that is located inside the tank. What are Nissan interval recommendations for fuel filter changes?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don't believe there are any sparkplug wires as the coils are mounted right on the plugs...I think.

I too think it's a bad motor mount.

Also don't believe there is any fuel filter maintenance as it's in the tank.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Sounds like misfiring to me. The metallic sound that you're hearing could be pinging. Pinging sounds like marbles bounding around inside the engine. If you're misfiring then your engine could be consuming coolant, could have a bad coil on one of the cylinders, bad spark plug, bad injector, etc.

The oily residue you mentioned reminds me of a similar situation that another member had. He pulled the upper intake manifold and all coils and saw that the valve cover gasket had sprung a leak and was filling the area around the spark plug with oil. This was causing arcing between the coil/plug and the block. After putting in a new valve cover gasket (looks like a big rubber band) his symptoms went away and the motor ran smooth again. Maybe this is your issue as well.

Has your SES light come on at all? The onboard computer is usually smart enough to tell you what cylinder is experiencing the misfiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Tj0918
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing