Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to a few friends, I was either met with confused looks or agreement concerning my maintenance schedule. I don't think it's too weird...

Running Mobil 1, synthetic.

Change the oil every other maintenance interval. (so once at 7500, skip 11,200, and then again at 15,000)

Change filter every maintenance schedule. It's a small filter so I play it safe.

Otherwise I have my dealer do all other maintenance (check fluids or whatever is called for). Well, except for this time... I'm having them do the filter because I don't have one :p

Is that so strange?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just because you are using synthetic, it does not mean you can double your milage for oil/filter change. Oils get contaminated with gasoline residue, gets all the other pollutents at the same rate as regular oil.

3750 miles is already streching the conventional recommendation of 3,000 miles. I strongly suggest you stick with same schedule. Other issue is warranty, if something goes wrong, best of luck convincing Nissan that you were using synthetic so you skipped an oil change.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
:32:

Filters used to have a bypass port for high demand situations, don't know if they still do. But, the filter only filters out contaminates to a certain size and they become plugged. Contaminates build up in any oil, mineral or synthetic. The difference is, synthetics don't break down as fast as mineral oil (heat and pressure). But the contaminates don't all come from the break down of the oil. Contaminates also come from blow by (exhaust past piston rings and valve seals), and normal wear (bearing surfaces).

With that said, there will be testimonials that they got a 100,000 miles on a 19xx xyz changing every x0,000 miles and never had any problems. Or better yet, had their oil tested once and :blahblah:. Of course, I have my own testimonials. It's really impossible to know unless you test your oil on a continuous basis and change it when it reaches a certain level of contamination. And lets not get into the levels of contaminates. That is just about as controversial as anything else.

So, like CVeeT said, I prefer to follow the manufacturers advice, the rest is techno babble...which I really enjoy BTW.

Take for instance people still calling mineral oil dino oil. It used to be scientists believed oil and coal came from prehistoric animal and plant matter, I guess cause they found fossils in it. Now the thinking is, that oil comes from a natural cosmic event and the good old earth. Hence why some call it mineral oil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
in Canada, The booklet specifies maintenance every 6000 kilometres.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think your oil change maintenance makes sense. The biggest source of contaminants is the sludge created by moisture getting into the oil and oxidizing it. Synthetic oil doesn't break down much in presence of moisture. Why spend the higher price for the synthetic if you change it so soon? It doesn't make sense. In my Pathfinder I used synthetic and changed it every 10-15,000 miles and I put 172,000 miles and it didn't burn a drop of oil and the engine looked very clean with Little wear. I am going to run it for 7,500 miles between changes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think it was much of a stretch because I was changing the filter every interval. I imagine that would keep the synth pretty darn clean. Clean enough to last another 3.5k miles. And yeah, as we all know, synthetic doesn't break down as easily, yada yada.

The general opinion is that you can run synthetic for a very long time. No stipulation is made that you must keep the filter changed, but common sense would dictate that. I guess everybody's opinion differs... some will change synth at every interval, some will go every other interval, and some will leave it in for 15,000 miles before changing. Just like some will use mineral oil for 5k miles, and some will change every 3k, or 2k, or something. And those people swear by regular oil... "my car has 200,000 miles on it, runs great, and I've only ever used mineral oil..."

Everyone apparently has their own opinion. Yeesh. ;)

And for those thinking that Nissan won't challenge a warranty claim if you change your oil every interval... from what I have heard, Nissan can still challenge your claim if you did not have the oil change performed at a Nissan DEALERSHIP. If you change it on your own (and many do), Nissan can easily say "Well, we don't know that you changed the oil at every interval. Sorry."

Some guy on the forum here or at FA mentioned that happened to him in the past. He got his changes at a Jiffy Lube and come warranty repair time, he couldn't furnish the records that he had the changes done. His warranty repair was DENIED. However, I don't think it was Nissan was raking him over the coals, but an extended-warranty provider (his insurance I think) instead.

Heck, my dealership offers $2k off your next vehicle if the vehicle you have now has a perfect maintenance record (at the dealership). That includes oil/filter changes. If you do your own, or dare miss a fluid-check, you're out of luck.

Just food for thought for you do-it-yourselfers.

I'd rather save some bucks and do my own changes, considering it'd cost me the synth PLUS the change at a dealership. It would probably run $60 total for the same job. Doing my own just runs me the $30 for a box of synthetic and $5 for a filter.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Honestly it doesn't cost much to change the oil (even if its synthetic) - what is the harm of changing the oil and filter every 3750 miles? Seems that if you are going ot change the filter, draining the oil will only take another 10 minutes, and maybe another $20 worth of oil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Doombringer said:
It would probably run $60 total for the same job. Doing my own just runs me the $30 for a box of synthetic and $5 for a filter.
And then there's your time and all the cleanup. What do you do with the used oil and filter and all the rags?

I had my oil changed by the dealer. He gave me a $10 taxi voucher to get me home and a $10 taxi voucher to bring me back then he washed the outside and vaccuumed the inside. Total cost? $36.10 canadian. I used the time to get some work done that I charge out at $50 per hour. Why save $30 or $40??
Oh, and there's a free coffee and pop machine in the waiting area.:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viewmont, you're a lucky guy. My dealership is nice but they don't go out of their way (they can't even wash a car properly). If I want service, my schedule has to change to accomodate them.. no free taxis ;)

Anyway. As it turns out, I will have even LESS time to baby my Murano. So self oil changes are going the way of the dodo. Since I bring the MO in for every service interval anyway, I'm going to have them do my oil/filter change. I'll still provide the Mobil 1. At this point in time, not only is it my only option, it makes sense.

I barely have time to keep up on washing the MO, and now I have even less time to baby her :/ But, she'll be a little more happy having fresh synth in her every 3750.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Doombringer said:
Viewmont, you're a lucky guy. My dealership is nice but they don't go out of their way (they can't even wash a car properly). If I want service, my schedule has to change to accomodate them.. no free taxis ;)

Anyway. As it turns out, I will have even LESS time to baby my Murano. So self oil changes are going the way of the dodo. Since I bring the MO in for every service interval anyway, I'm going to have them do my oil/filter change. I'll still provide the Mobil 1. At this point in time, not only is it my only option, it makes sense.

I barely have time to keep up on washing the MO, and now I have even less time to baby her :/ But, she'll be a little more happy having fresh synth in her every 3750.
Its still good of your dealer to use the Mobil One you bring in. Most shops will not do that in my experience. Initially I thought, man, those shops are terrible. But then I heard an analogy one day which made me reconsider it. If you go to a restaurant, do you bring your own food for them to cook? And if so, would it even make sense for them to do it for you? The rationale for most service depts is to not accept customer parts because parts is where they make a lot of their profit on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True... though some restaurants allow Bring Your Own Booze. That's sort of how I look at it here.

I think they have Mobil 1 and I could probably buy it from them when I go there, but their prices are higher. A box of Mobil 1 could run me 1.5x that of what it costs me retail. Plus the cost of the change and filter... well...

I figure that they will charge me the total cost of the change, which already includes dino-juice. So they're getting their money plus they're keeping their oil stock by using my own. It's win win. I'm not looking for a discount, just the work done...

Hopefully they'll be cool with that. They've been cool thus far with me telling them just to change the filter (once when I didn't have one)...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I always used to take Mobile1 to my Acura dealer and nobody seemed to mind.

Of course I just handed it over and ASSUMED it ended up in MY car. Maybe someone in the shop liked using MY Mobile1 in HIS car. :jester:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The synthetic issue is not the oil, it's the filtering. The Nissan teacup size filter just won't do it for extended drain intervals. In addition to using Amsoil 0W30, I have installed the BMK13 Dual Filter Assembly, which provides a bypass filter element which removes particles down to 1 micron + water, and a large full flow filter. This assembly completely replaces the Nissan filter and increases the effective filtration by a factor of at least 10. I plan on about 10-12k miles between changes. Amsoil states that this will not void the warranty, because the manufactturert must prove that a failure was related to the oil/filter used. Amsoil will defend any claim which points to their oil/filters. This has been tested in court.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, cool. I wouldn't go quite that far... I think the stock Nissan filter will do me good if changed at every required interval. And even with synthetic, I'll be changing every 'dino-juice' interval, so I imagine the MO engine will be pretty dang clean. ;)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Another little known benefit of a quality synthetic is that the engine will (be protevted) run a lot longer without oil! This is because a synthetic oil film will not break down like "dinojuice" under conditions of excessive heat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts