Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I heard a strange "static-like" noise coming from somewhere infront of the cabin. It was only noticeable at speeds above 45mph. I put the car in neutral, S, D, and tried various speeds and accelerations but the noise was the same.

Driving today and I have not noticed any sounds. I took a peak under the Mo and can see what I'm guessing is a grounding strap/cord. Perhaps that was making a noise. Flapping maybe.

Any ideas anyone? I'm going to take a look at it this weekend to see if something looks odd underneat although I don't really know if I'd reconize if something was wrong.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Neo-

That's a tough one to figure out. There isn't much to go by.

It could be as simple as having a dried tree leaf stuck in the lower wiper assembly and the wind is causing it to tap against the base of the windshield. Or maybe you ran over a plastic bag and it was stuck in the under carriage. Or it could be something mechanical under the hood.

I experienced an odd tapping sound coming from the front of the dash when driving at highway speeds during the last snowfall. It turned out to be ice in the wiper-well hitting against the glass. I cleaned it out and the noise stopped.

If the sound does not return and there are no signs of any other problems, I think it is safe to assume all is OK.

-njjoe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn’t anything obvious under the vehicle as I slid under a ways to look around. It’s coming from somewhere down low as I can hear it more the closer I get to the wheel wells (as much as I can lean down doing 50mph). I figured I’d keep an ear out to see if it happens again.

While I’m under it this weekend I figured I’d have a look at the torque converter to see if I noticed any wear and tear. Where specifically should I look? I’m fairly computer hardware inclined but less automotively so.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
neo said:
While I’m under it this weekend I figured I’d have a look at the torque converter to see if I noticed any wear and tear. Where specifically should I look? I’m fairly computer hardware inclined but less automotively so.
Neo-

The torque converter is internal to the transmission. You will not be able to see it unless you open up the tranny.

As far as the CVT and transfer case goes, the evidence of "wear and tear" will be on the inside. The outside will not tell you anything unless there is oil leaking from it.

-njjoe

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Cable?

Are you sure it’s not the handbrake cable? The noise you described seems to be very similar to what I had. Service department re-secure the cable and it was gone like for 3 month, but than it’s come back. About a month ago I accidentally start driving with the handbrake on, I went about 30 feet backward and then 40 feet forward and it seems like it fix the problem; no more clicking noise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it’s been a couple of weeks and I haven’t heard anything so… I guess we’ll see. I need to call the dealer about the fuel tank recall anyway. Haven’t heard anything and if it wasn’t for this board I might not have know for who knows how long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts