Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedometer always works, but the rpm guage, fuel guage stops working and the SLP, VDC OFF comes on, the light iluminating P R N D goes dark, ABS and Brake light comes on, the blinkers will not work when in this condition.

It happens at random times. While driving or when 1st started. Then all goes back to normal for no reason I can tell. It happens every time i drive it. Has gone for several miles without it happening or can happen every 3 to 5 minutes. Can stay that way for 30 secound to almost the entire drive ( 30 min - 1 hr.) Usually just stays that way for a minute or two, goes normal then happens again.

One thought - is that the battery charging going on and off could affect it? Doesn't the computer tell the alt to turn on and off? It has a new battery. I've charged it overnight outside of the vehicle but it will still randomly acts up. Put it on trickle charge. Nothing seems to affect it.

The only thing i may try is to run a couple of wires into the cab so i can see on a digital volt meter if the alternator is charging or in idle when it happens. I'm not even sure if I'm correct about the computer turning the alt on and off as it feels necessary?
Anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
Have your alternator and battery load tested. When the voltage is marginal today's computer controlled cars start acting up.

Also check and clean the ground connections under the battery and at the CVT. Replace the negative battery terminal cable if it looks like it's been exposed to years of battery terminal corrosion, it will be compromised internally...

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the voltage is marginal today's computer controlled cars start acting up..
-This is a very factual statement. -

I have a new alt and battery but I've also had a good looking cable on another car corroded beneath the shield. It was on the positive side if i remember correctly. This is not a daily driver, and this issue has been happining for almost 1 year.

On load testing the battery, many places that do this service for free are quick to say "yep you need a new battery but it doesn't help the situation.

I am thankful for the reply and will check my battery cables. and load test the battery.

-on another note, am i correct that the computer initializes the alt rather than it always supplying 14 or so volts when the car is running?

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not big on modifing competer controlld devices on my car, especially if under warranty. Mine has 190,000 miles and is no longer under warranty.
But someone has decided to convert their alt back to always charging when the car is running. They say it's helpful if your car is not a dayly driver.

(This video will show you how to disable the Ecm Control function of the Alternator. By doing this the Alternator will no longer be controlled by the Ecm and run all the time. A Ecm controlled charging system is intended to help with Mpg. So this could affect your Mpg if performed ) it's on Utube.

I've still got to do a losd test and other troubleshooting, but am glad someone else doesnt like the computer turning off the alt to save some gas.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
The ECM will adjust the alternator's output to both keep the battery charged, and to meet to current voltage requirements.

IMO, disconnecting the alternator from its computer control will destroy your battery over time...and maybe other stuff...

Reactions: Pilgrim and PaulDay

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
disconnecting the alternator from its computer control will destroy your battery over time...and maybe other stuff...
Not sure how that would affact anything unless the alt is way overcharging.

I'm currently working on my truck. It had a bad oil leak and it turned out to be a corner of the valve cover broken off in the back. Got it fixed so I can go to work tomorrow without smoke coming out from under the hood.

Just wanted to post this issue in case someone has experienced it on their MO, and what they may have done to correct it.

I will update as I do things to try and remedy this strange issue on my Murano.

· Registered
2,442 Posts
The 1st generation Murano doesn't have ECM control of the charging system--this didn't occur until the 2nd generation. So, it's just the plain old voltage regulator in the alternator that's controlling the output.

The symptoms reported in the 1st post is reminiscent of the combination meter's fail-safe mode. If ground issues have been ruled out then I'd probably be looking at the A/C Amp or combination meter itself.

Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 1st generation Murano doesn't have ECM control of the charging system--this didn't occur until the 2nd generation. So, it's just the plain old voltage regulator in the alternator that's controlling the output.

The symptoms reported in the 1st post is reminiscent of the combination meter's fail-safe mode. If ground issues have been ruled out then I'd probably be looking at the A/C Amp or combination meter itself.

View attachment 56338
I think you may be the Murano expert i need.

Any more info you could point me toward would be great.

Meanwhile im gonna try to organise a way to diagnose what you have indicated.

Thanks!

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have several vehicles that need minor work. I can't thank you enough to put me on the right track with the combination meter's fail-safe mode. I may not jump on it soon, but you have nailed the issue.

I'll try and figure a way to diagnose this unique problem, but I never knew this was even a thing.

Thanks !

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As already stated this issue started almost 1 year ago. The 1st indication was when i started it up the fuel guage read empty although i new it was full. Then while driving noticed the other weird dash indications. They would come and go for no apparent reason. Fast forward to about 1 month ago and i couldnt put it in reverse/drive. Had to research the overide button and have been using a piece of wire to push down the overide button.

I dont think these two issues have anything in comon. Just another thing i need to fix. I like the Murano but it has had an unusually large amout of issues during it's lifetime -- YES I BOUGHT IT USED -- 3rd owner. My daughter bought it from the original owner, a lady in her mid 40's. ( i only added the " bought used" because i think a certain poster creates a zen diagram of New vs Used - :)

· Administrator
10,265 Posts
As already stated this issue started almost 1 year ago. The 1st indication was when i started it up the fuel guage read empty although i new it was full. Then while driving noticed the other weird dash indications. They would come and go for no apparent reason. Fast forward to about 1 month ago and i couldnt put it in reverse/drive. Had to research the overide button and have been using a piece of wire to push down the overide button.

I dont think these two issues have anything in comon. Just another thing i need to fix. I like the Murano but it has had an unusually large amout of issues during it's lifetime -- YES I BOUGHT IT USED -- 3rd owner. My daughter bought it from the original owner, a lady in her mid 40's. ( i only added the " bought used" because i think a certain poster creates a zen diagram of New vs Used - :)
None of your posts indicate that you have had the codes read on this vehicle. I suggest that should be your starting point.

· Registered
2,442 Posts
Fast forward to about 1 month ago and i couldnt put it in reverse/drive. Had to research the overide button and have been using a piece of wire to push down the overide button.

I dont think these two issues have anything in comon.
They may very well be separate issues, but interestingly, the shift lock control unit is wired directly to the A/C Amp. Wiring diagram says (VSP Signal) so it may be sending vehicle speed signal received from TCM.

Pilgrim is right. If you have access to a scan tool good enough to read BCM codes you might pull up some DTCs that will point you in a direction.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram

1 - 13 of 13 Posts