Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all,

I purchase a 2015 metalic silver Murano SL AWD about a week ago. I did test drive the car at night and I liked it. Purchased it the next day and did not test drive it before signing on the dotted lines (a no no). When drove it home, I noticed strong reflections of the accent piece (metallic silver plastic) around the AC vents on the side mirrors due to the sun angle which pretty much decreased the visibility of the cars behind me. IMHO, this can pose a safety issue and is NOT a cosmetic problem. So far the dealership and even Nissan Consumer Affairs are taking the position that I just happened to pick wrong color car and it is my problem to take steps to rectify it (e.g. tinting the side glasses and see what happens). As a repeat Nissan customer, I am very disappointed. I was wondering if anyone here has run into similar situation and any remedy if tried and worked.

Thank you,

P.M

·
Registered
544 Posts
Can't remember where this was discussed previously, but yes it is annoying and as far as I know, there hasn't been a solution put forth yet. In my old car, I just swapped out the vent surrounds with the base model's which were flat black. I don't think the trim pieces are separate in the Murano (read: I tried removing them once and didn't want to break it). If however that is not the case, I'd love to plastidip them a matte black. The silver vents are the only ones offered on any Murano, so color me shocked that Nissan CA was as useful as boobs on a lizard. /sarcasm

Tinting your windows won't remedy the problem. Ask me how I know. :/

·
Registered
116 Posts
not sure why nissan does this. i had the same issue in my Altima around the shifter there were chrome accents that will blind you if the sun gets in there. Same issue with my '15 Murano, the chrome stuff around the shifter will blind me if sun shines in.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Anyone who tries to dismiss a glaring design flaw by Nissan by telling us to "just wear polarized shades" A) is missing the point, and B) has never been to the sunshine state. Even with my polarized lenses, the glare at just the right angle (which happens every morning for me on my commute) is readily apparent.

The real solution is for Nissan to come up with a darker, matte finish for trim pieces that won't easily catch sunlight.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The real solution is for Nissan to come up with a darker, matte finish for trim pieces that will easily catch sunlight.
Yes, that would be the correct solution but since they haven't made a matte black replacement for MY16 we are kind of stuck with temporary fixes. And they test these things out in Arizona, can't believe they didn't catch on to this a year after SOP. Shame on them. :yodaddy:

Of course these are the same people who removed the Bose logo on center speaker grill and didn't fill in the holes. Irks me every time I see that glare.

·
Registered
47 Posts
While looking for a car and prior to purchase of my MoMo.
There where a couple of different makes & models that I rejected because of the internal reflections, what the manufacture's thought where nice looking bling and "upgrades". NO IT'S A SAFETY HAZARD!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You do get used to it, or at least I have, but I would still like to know if there is a really clean way to remove them and plasti dip them or something like that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
even with polarized sun glasses, it was unbearable at times last summer. Like someone's shining spot light in your eyes

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't had this problem at all. I'm only slightly annoyed at the reflection they make in the side mirrors. haven't had any glare shining in my eyes from them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think some of you are getting the wrong idea, which is probably where this "polarized lenses" tangent came from.

The glare off the side vents isn't blinding us while looking forward at the road. But when the sun hits them, it creates a very visible glare in the driver and passenger windows that coincides with the placement of both side mirrors.

So imagine sitting in your car, looking at your side mirrors and seeing a bright, highly visible reflection of the silver trim surrounding the side vents that cuts right into your view of what's in the mirrors. Polarized lenses won't do squat to solve this particular issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, it makes it hard to quickly understand what you are seeing in the side mirror. It is not helped by polarized sunglasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
So imagine sitting in your car, looking at your side mirrors and seeing a bright, highly visible reflection of the silver trim surrounding the side vents that cuts right into your view of what's in the mirrors. Polarized lenses won't do squat to solve this particular issue.
Yeah, nothing will really solve it. It's slightly annoying to me, but I don't stare into my side mirrors for very long. I've gotten used to seeing the reflection, and seeing past it. It's not as bothersome as it originally was. It is what it is. You can be mad and let it bother you all the time, or just accept that you can't do anything about it. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, nothing will really solve it. It's slightly annoying to me, but I don't stare into my side mirrors for very long. I've gotten used to seeing the reflection, and seeing past it. It's not as bothersome as it originally was. It is what it is. You can be mad and let it bother you all the time, or just accept that you can't do anything about it. :)
Too defeatist for me. I'm hoping either to remove/plastidip the trim pieces, or even just wrap them in some sort of black matte tape.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm thinking that hot sun on black tape won't work out too well. I think I've also read that getting that piece off to do anything with it is not easy. Good luck! Post some pics if you find something that works!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts