Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I took the time to figure out exactly what rear Diff the Mo has (a 2.466 R145), and have been bouncing that off all my Nissan technical and racing contacts trying to find out what other cars use that diff and if an LSD version was ever produced by anybody.

I've made some progress, Quaife and Cusco reps are digging into their parts bins, and it looks like NISMO makes an H145 LSD for the Datsun B210 and it's guts may be transferable to the R145, but that's all kinda secondary to this gem of a suggestion that came in:

"Hey Carl, if you get stuck just ride the brake with your left foot a little and that will simulate the traction control mentioned earlier.
It's free, and it works pretty well. I used to have an article in Hot Rod Magazine from the 70's where they tested riding the brake vs a Chrysler Powr-Lock and the results were pretty equal. It saps your hp but this is your Murano, not your Z... right?"

That's downright brilliant. As long as one doesn't overdo it, applying the brakes will effect the faster spinning wheels and transfer torque over to the slower wheels. Any of you boys up in slippery snow country land willing to give that a try and see how well it works?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I remember someone making mention to this last year around this time, but the thing that sticks out in my mind is that this was bad news for the parts involved. Is that true?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this would certainly be intentionally working the engine/driveline against the brakes, and the latter will come out of it with a bit of wear of course. But this is just for getting unstuck, not when driving down the road or something.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I tried that many years ago when I was living on the East coast and it certainly works. At the time I did it with stick car so one foot worked the clutch while the other worked the gas and brake pedals. A bit awkward but it worked specially when climbing small hills. I am assuming it would have much less wear on an automatic tranny than a stick shift.

·
4,601 Posts
So far it's not been an issue so I've never tried it....

While it would be nice to have an LSD, I can't honestly say I've ever wished for one, when driving the Murano.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I don't much about this area, but I do know for a fact that the Murano's VDC uses something that Nissan calls a "brake limited slip differential." Page 5-23 of the owners manual. Not a Quaife, but hey its better than nothing I suppose.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've heard of this - although I'm with Jaak - I've never needed it.

My thought though is what's harder on a vehicle when stuck - to ride the brake to get unstuck - or rock it back and forth going from Drive to Reverse. I'd say riding the brake a bit is going to be easier. If you are stuck - chances are it is cold outside (except for those of you who take the Murano off-road :) ) so trans temps aren't going to go up that fast.

I say it's probably the best solution - and cheaper than an LSD.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I thought LSD gave you brain damage. :p

·
Registered
781 Posts
Depends on how much you do - and the price has gone up considerably in the last few years ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Putting a LSD in the rear would be bad for the MO

I believe that the rear differential contains the electronic clutch to engage and disengage the rear wheels. So if you replace this with a mechanical LSD the rear wheels would be engaged all the time. Since the Murano has no center differential everytime you went around a corner something would have to give. I think this would prematurely wear out the drive train.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clutch is seperate from the diff, it goes inbetween the drive shaft and R145 rear diff. Moot point though, all my contacts at Nissan/NISMO, Quaife and Cusco haven't panned out :(

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I have used the brake + gas = unstuck equation before. It's not that bad considering if you do something that engages the VDC, you're causing the ABS to PULSE the brakes while there is gas being applied, which JOLTS the system instead of just loading it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts