Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 25 fahreinheit (-4 celcius) outside last night here in Maryland and i hand- washed my car. :D

Took me 4 hours. It is not mini wash, it was complete wash!
Washed with dawn, clay bar, wash again with carwash soap, scratch swirl removals, polish, waxed.

My GF called me crazy. I called my self: spending quality time with my beloved car :p

Do you all agree with me or my GF?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd say a little crazy - but I've done the same thing myself. The hard part is when the driveway starts to freeze - gets a little slippery.

:)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Sorry man, I love my car to death but I'm not freezing my butt in the negative degree windchill. I did that once, and man, it was cold, and yes the GF gave me an earful about it. In the summer, I'll do the entire wash, polish, wax deal with expensive products. In the winter, I take it an automated touchless carwash with an undercarriage blast to ward off the salt rust.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
I THINK YOU'RE FINE BRO........

i spent many a cold hour washing my car at college park, and in baltimore (lived in ba. school at u of m)...

just used a leaf blower to dry it faster (although that iced the edges alot too)

sometimes i would just let the car run, with the heat on max, to try and keep the body panels warm (hood and roof were easy)

·
Registered
78 Posts
carwash

Up here in Canada is the latest no touch wash. I washed my MO at -20C and the fully automated wash removed 97% of the grime and the new variable rotation dryer performed effectively to the point where no water was left in the door jamb areas!!

Perfect!

·
101 Posts
It was in the twenties (F) here yesterday so I went to a hand car wash. It was great! It was all indoors, six guys carefully washed my car (they washed each tire/wheel completely, too), then six other guys dried it, vacuum and dusted the interior & instrument cluster, cleaned the mats, put ArmorAll on my tires, cleaned all the windows...all for $16. Beats freezing my hands or watching the road salt crust off my poor MO.

When I got home, I took a clean rag and finished-up some spots they missed drying and under the hood (still looks like new!). My garage is detached from my house so it gets really cold in there and I wanted to make sure the doors did not freeze shut.

Oh, and I found a spot where dirt accumulates a lot and you might miss. At the bottom of each door sill is a rubber gasket. While it looks solid, it actually is split underneath (an open seam runs the length of the gasket. Just wipe a paper towel through there and you'll see what I mean. Now there's a subject for another thread!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies..... I am quite anal to...(m)

have people washing my car. $16 is a good deal, really, though.
The thing is i still can not find such car wash in 30 miles radius.
The only one that exist is touchless car wash and underbody wash.

It was freaking cold last night, and it may be the last time i do a subzero carwash. Crazy enough, i am thinking of buying an orbital buffer, it will cut my polish and wax time by half, hence instead of 4 hrs, it will be 2 hrs...in the cold. :ucrazy:

·
5,268 Posts
my Zaino is comming this week, so....I guess I will follow SugarRushMurano...........though is not that cold down here in ATL....:D

The orbital buffer sounds like a good idea........

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just purchased this autodry carwash kit. Supposedly you don't need to hand dry your car anymore and it leaves a spot free finish. We'll see. Was hoping to try it out this weekend but it's supposed to rain.

·
101 Posts
I saw a lot of TV time devoted to that product. It's called the, Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash, and is supposed to be on retail shelves in the Spring. Sounds pretty cool - you never have to dry off your vehicle because water sheets off cleanly.

I went to the site to check it out and they're sending me a $5 off coupon.

Let us know how the system works for you, CopperKat. Maybe you should start a new thread when you report back.

For me, I cannot get it just yet. I have to wait until spring since in our winters here, water doesn't sheet off, it stays on as sheets of ice!! :eek:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hey Stonemaster,

What is your car wash of choice? I think I remember you saying something about being in the Western Burbs?

·
101 Posts
I live in the city in Bucktown. The hand car wash I go to is a place called, "Fast Eddie's" (I kid you not). It's on Webster St., a little west of Elston Ave. It looks like a dive outside, but the inside is very clean. They do good work and for all the attention, they're relatively fast (10-15 minutes for full service). The $16 is for vans and SUV's. Cars only cost $14. If you get there before 10AM on weekdays, you get $2 off the price. There is a line around the block on weekends so I try to go on weekdays (even then there is a line at lunchtime).

I used to go to a machine car wash nearby but started noticing swirl marks on my finish :3: . In summer, I will be doing washes myself but for now, 'Fast Eddie's' is the next best thing.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
CopperKat said:
I just purchased this autodry carwash kit. Supposedly you don't need to hand dry your car anymore and it leaves a spot free finish. We'll see. Was hoping to try it out this weekend but it's supposed to rain.
the fx guys that have tried this say the water comes out of the filtered nozzle/attachemnt sooo slowly, that you could've washed and rinsed and handried the entire car much faster than with the new system...

they did also say that it works very well, if you have the patience..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts