Nissan Murano Forum banner

121 - 140 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
What's interesting is, I regularly put my visor to the side, extend the plastic piece and place my hand over it while driving (resting my elbow on the sill) and yet my visor arm has not failed. Maybe a batch of defective parts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
That may be true! All I know is that the passenger visor lost its staying power about a year ago and finally gave up. I had no choice but to contact Nissan USA for a little help. They came through and within 2 weeks I had the new visor in my car at no charge. It never hurts to ask, especially if you are the original owner and plan to stay in the Nissan family. Know what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fixing the Visor

First, I wish I had read the post about complaining to Nissan and getting a replacement, but I didn’t, so after it finally failed to stay up, I decided that I might as well tear into the broken one, before ordering a replacement as I had nothing to lose. The good news–it can be fixed!

The visor itself is Styrofoam. The bar attached to the ceiling ends inside the visor with a hollow plastic tube that rotates inside what at first appears to be a steel tube, but when you cut away the Styrofoam you will see that it is a folded thin piece of steel that is formed so that there is a round sleeve opening at the top in which the plastic part rotates. The plastic has two flat sides and it appears to have had a raised ridge, but on mine it was worn down, which I think is the source of our mutual problem. Regardless, here is the fix:

There is a 5/32 " hole that goes through both sides of the steel part. I put a #8, ½" long bolt through the hole tightened it and problem solved (except for the mess I made getting to it). I did not have to tighten the bolt very tight to fix the problem. To get at it I first removed the visor from the car, I sliced the cover on the visor open at the seam on the top. There was to white sticky tape wrapped (2'x 2') around the top cover the area. Next to the opening where the plastic part rotates in the metal sleeve, the is a small hole in the Styrofoam, but not on the other side. You really need to do nothing more than remove enough Styrofoam on both sides to get the bolt in an tighten. Because I sliced mine open, I will have to sew it shut or, if I were not an upholster in my former life, use some double sided tape to stick the cover back together. My "fix" was just done a week ago, so I want to give it some more time before I button it all up again.

If I were to do another, I think I would simply measure over 3 3/4" from the bar and down 3/4" and make a small slice in the fabric big enough to clear a hole through the Styrofoam for the bolt and after tightening and then glue the fabric back or cover it up with a sticker or something. Another reason this may be the way to go is that I don’t know how permeant this is. The bolt may need to be re-tightened again as the plastic wears. Having quick access would be a plus.

Disclaimer! Mine is a 2005. This is the only sun visor I have ever cut open. I don’t know if there are differences in years or the ones that work vs the ones that don’t so things may be different on the inside, but if you are at the point of replacing it and can’t get Nissan to do it, give it a try. Which leads me to my rant.

This is a $300+labor part. It should not be built so cheaply and it could easily have been built more durable and/or adjustable for wear. As several have stated, this is a real safety problem were it to flop down at the wrong time. I just don’t get their position. It will probably take a death or two before they wake up. That does not engender loyalty from my prospective.

Paul

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
First, I wish I had read the post about complaining to Nissan and getting a replacement, but I didn’t, so after it finally failed to stay up, I decided that I might as well tear into the broken one, before ordering a replacement as I had nothing to lose. The good news–it can be fixed!

The visor itself is Styrofoam. The bar attached to the ceiling ends inside the visor with a hollow plastic tube that rotates inside what at first appears to be a steel tube, but when you cut away the Styrofoam you will see that it is a folded thin piece of steel that is formed so that there is a round sleeve opening at the top in which the plastic part rotates. The plastic has two flat sides and it appears to have had a raised ridge, but on mine it was worn down, which I think is the source of our mutual problem. Regardless, here is the fix:

There is a 5/32 " hole that goes through both sides of the steel part. I put a #8, ½" long bolt through the hole tightened it and problem solved (except for the mess I made getting to it). I did not have to tighten the bolt very tight to fix the problem. To get at it I first removed the visor from the car, I sliced the cover on the visor open at the seam on the top. There was to white sticky tape wrapped (2'x 2') around the top cover the area. Next to the opening where the plastic part rotates in the metal sleeve, the is a small hole in the Styrofoam, but not on the other side. You really need to do nothing more than remove enough Styrofoam on both sides to get the bolt in an tighten. Because I sliced mine open, I will have to sew it shut or, if I were not an upholster in my former life, use some double sided tape to stick the cover back together. My "fix" was just done a week ago, so I want to give it some more time before I button it all up again.

If I were to do another, I think I would simply measure over 3 3/4" from the bar and down 3/4" and make a small slice in the fabric big enough to clear a hole through the Styrofoam for the bolt and after tightening and then glue the fabric back or cover it up with a sticker or something. Another reason this may be the way to go is that I don’t know how permeant this is. The bolt may need to be re-tightened again as the plastic wears. Having quick access would be a plus.

Disclaimer! Mine is a 2005. This is the only sun visor I have ever cut open. I don’t know if there are differences in years or the ones that work vs the ones that don’t so things may be different on the inside, but if you are at the point of replacing it and can’t get Nissan to do it, give it a try. Which leads me to my rant.

This is a $300+labor part. It should not be built so cheaply and it could easily have been built more durable and/or adjustable for wear. As several have stated, this is a real safety problem were it to flop down at the wrong time. I just don’t get their position. It will probably take a death or two before they wake up. That does not engender loyalty from my prospective.

Paul
Pictures will be so great. Everyone is dying to see the inside of this flimsy visor. Will you post some please....Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Photo

That makes sense. I will try to take and post a photo or two to the Photo Gallery, but it will not be until next weel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Photos of inside

I posted two photo of the inside of the visor in the photo gallery. Had to compress to get them accepted, so hope they are clear enough.

If your visor is already broken, you might as well give it a try is Nissan won't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Phonto of sunvisor

I don't really understand how the gallery works, but I did a search for "sunvisor" and found them, so they are out there somewhere. If you can't find I could email.

·
Super Moderator
7,985 Posts

Paul

CONGRATULATIONS, Paul. You are the first one to take the logical step of trying to analyze and FIX the problem instead of just plugging in new parts. You think like I do, and I salute you!!!!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have never had this problem, but 9 pages??? This is just a friction thing, can't be too difficult to take it apart and bend something so there is more resistance on the bar!!!
Kudos to PaulS!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
On my 04 i replaced my driver's side visor once under warranty and a second time at my employee cost (260) and its doing it again. The only way nissan will goodwill something is if your a good customer to the dealer you took it to.

I was gonna tear into my old visor and try to fix it as well. Who knows maybe throw a tv in it while im at it ;)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No. I mean i bought it at my cost and just did it myself. What i mean by a good customer is that you do most of all your services, oil changes, etc at that dealer so that when we call nissan goodwill we can prove your a loyal customer and they usual will cover small stuff like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sunvisor problem

05 Murano - driver's sun visor broken - flops, and won't stay up or down. Dealer says $300 for part plus labor.
At dealership, guy there used velcro tape to hold it up, but I can't use it when it's sunny. I filed report, and will try calling customer service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazing...same problem with my 2006 Murano and they quoted me $450 just for the visor (not including installation). I use my visor so it has been a real pain...I too am holding it up with velcro....I did not purchase an extended warranty either...Can't wait for the rear camera to quit working...arrrggghhh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
05 Murano with floppy driver's visor. Dealer said they had seen this before, and yes it was a safety issue, but no one has been able to get Nissan to cover cost to replace. I called Nissan customer service, explained issue (I had purchased vehicle from a dealer and had had almost all service and repairs from same dealer). I was told regional manager would call. Later, same day, regional manager called and said Nissan would pay for replacement! Today (10/28/10) it was replaced free of charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
visor

I have the same issue with my 06 driver's side visor. I just recently went to the dealer and the cost of the visor was recently raised to over $400!! Another lady there the same day had the same problem with her Pathfinder visor. I'm going to try and do it myself as joe suggested and call in a complaint. It is a total safety issue.

121 - 140 of 204 Posts