Nissan Murano Forum banner

Sun Visor Problem

147K views 209 replies 91 participants last post by  colocoug 
#1 ·
I have a '04 Murano SL with 37K. The 3x36 warranty was up in April of '07. In Sept. of '06 I had to have the Sun Visors replaced because they would not stay up in place. Particularly the driver side. Under the warranty the dealer replaced both sun visors. About two months ago the passenger side sun visor has started to do the same thing and will not stay up in place. Now that I'm out of the 3x36 warranty (even though I do have the Nissan Extended Warranty) the dealer wants about 300.00 for the replacement of one sun visor. I have seen in one case in this forum were a owner has had this same problem and was out of the 3x36 warranty and there dealer took care of them. Is there any other owners out there that this has been taken care of outside of warranty. Really this can be looked at as a safety issue. Any additional advice would be appreciated. From everything I can gather there is no fixing these sun visors its replacement only in order to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
onei-

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered replacing it yourself? Although they list for $260 you can get a new one online for $187. They are secured with only two screws.

You can replace both for little more than what the dealer is charging for one.

Attachments

Reactions: dongeeson
#3 ·
Murano Sun Visor Issue

Thanks njjoe, I will take your advisement if I don't hear anything different. I was hoping to make the point that maybe there is some issues with these sun visors that Nissan needs to address. Really now, over the years i have never had a sun visor issue in any of my vehicles. Now this vehicle I spent more than I ever had on a vehicle and get little issues like this. By the way do you have the link for where i can find the sun visor for $187 online? My fear is if I spend another $200 that it will go bad in a year again. Until I have some idea that the problem has been fixed from the manufacturer it wouldn't make sense for me to layout that money. Thanks again, your input is appreciated.

#4 ·
onei-

Although there have been numerous reports similar to yours, the problem is not that widespread. It may simply have been a bad lot of sun visors from a particular vendor.

The website I was referring to is www.worldpartsexpress.com

You can also contact Nissan Consumer Affairs (800-647-7261), plead your case, and ask for warranty consideration. Maybe they'll offer a deal.

-njjoe

Reactions: dongeeson
#5 ·
Thanks again njjoe, you're alright. I'll try the 800 number thing. I have a question for ya, the exploded version of how to install the visor that you have shown, does it say anything about how the plastic covering that covers the two screws is to be taken off? Does it just snap out or is there some trick to removing it without damaging it?

onei

#6 ·
onei-

Recently another member, Texasguy, had the same problem as yours and opted to replace his own visors. The following link will take you to his thread: CLICK HERE

I suggest you PM him to get the info first-hand.

Good luck.

-njjoe

#7 ·
I 've had mine replaced twice under 3-36 warr. the extended warr
doesn't cover them. It does seem to be more common than it should be.

#9 ·
Gonzo, tell me more. Do you know the SB # on this. How about the clips part #. I like what I hear though. I would think that would be a much cheaper route.

Mopar - We are both from Metro Phx area with the same color interior, what a coincidence. Maybe a bad lot was sent to Phoenix with the '04's.

Thanks everybody, keep the info coming, I do appreciate it.

#10 ·
Let see... looking through my auto log... on 12/17/2003 I reported that the passenger sun visor did not hold in place. They replaced part 96409-CB000 and its been fine since.

I don't have a record of the SB but I really thought there was one.

#11 ·
onei-

Gonzo is correct. Bulletin# 03-081a entitled 2003–2005 NISSAN MURANO; SUNVISOR SUPPORT CLIP LOOSE AND/OR RATTLES was issued in early 2006, and obviously solved his problem. However, I am not sure if the replacement of the clip will solve your problem. Is your visor dropping out of the clip or slipping (rotating) on the bar?

-njjoe

#201 ·
Problem is it falls on the bar. Stay' s in the clip just fine. Oh well, I guess I'm back to the 800 number first and go from there.

Thanks Everybody.
I have seen in one case in this forum were a owner has had this same problem and was out of the 3x36 warranty and there dealer took care of them. Is there any other owners out there that this has been taken care of outside of warranty. Really this can be looked at as a safety issue.

#16 ·
I too have a defective driver side sunvisor. Keeps dropping down-- no half ways-- just all up or all down. I'm afraid to buy a new one and get the same issue over again. Does anyone notice that the visor also does not adjust to touch the windshield. Its like a notch or two down is the max it can go when you are trying to block the sun. Kinda suck.
Nitely

#17 ·
I just came back from the dealer, my driver side visor is also slipping and they told me it wasn't covered - even with the extended warranty. I wish they would have told me when I made the appointment and not when I drove there. In anyone has luck with the 800# let me know, if not I'll replace it with the $200 part when it gets worse.

#20 ·
Re: Sun Visor

greenwood said:
Are other people having issues with a faulty sun visor? if so have you tried to find a used one? If so any luck?
Welcome to the forum!

What year is your MO?

-njjoe

#25 ·
Hey All. It's been a couple years since I've posted, but I knew this was the place to come for my visor problem! You guys are the greatest!

And thanks so much for the recommendations. My '03 MO just hit 100k miles last week, and I've had the slippy driver visor for a couple of months now...

Guess like I need to look into ordering a new one for replacement...

#26 ·
It stinks to join this club, but our 03 just started with the same problem with the drivers side. My Cutlass is 30 years old & the visors still work!

But since I'm tall, its like having a finger pointed at your eye, its very bothersome, so I guess I'll be buying a replacement. : (