Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search for this to no avail....

Has anyone successfully removed the warning stickers from the sun visors? Is there anyway to get them off cleanly? I am afraid to try lest I make matters worse.

I hate those things--sorta like the "do not remove under penalty of the law" tags on bed pillows...

Thx!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'll 2nd that!
Big brother gov't stickers are so obnoxious.

The Muranos are hot sealed onto the visor so they aren't coming off cleanly.

I used a Black Sharpie to blank them out & on the grey fabric they don't look to bad.
I still might try some contact paper from a craft store or I may just have them reupholstered.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Hot to remove

A number of folks have removed them on other forms.

The procedure seems to be to take a hair drier and "GENTLY" warm the label, and just start picking at the corner. I did this front and back on my Phaeton (Sticker seem the same) and now it looks so nice. As soon as Grippee returns from the store I am going to try it on Mr. MO.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Re: Hot to remove

GripperDon said:
A number of folks have removed them on other forms.

The procedure seems to be to take a hair drier and "GENTLY" warm the label, and just start picking at the corner. I did this front and back on my Phaeton (Sticker seem the same) and now it looks so nice. As soon as Grippee returns from the store I am going to try it on Mr. MO.
Interesting. Let me know how it works on the MO. I was just going to leave them there because I wasn't sure how it would look after ripping them off (bald spot, tear, whatever) but if it's that easy to do and looks fine, then they're outa there! ;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
damn grip. a MO and a Pheaton. i'm guessing the pheaton is the weekend rider.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Knowing that we live in a litigious society, I'm thinking that Nissan put those there for a reason. If you remove them, are you taking on a possible risk? What if you sell the vehicle and the new owner gets into an accident? Will they come after you because there were no warning stickers? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
CopperKat said:
Knowing that we live in a litigious society, I'm thinking that Nissan put those there for a reason. If you remove them, are you taking on a possible risk? What if you sell the vehicle and the new owner gets into an accident? Will they come after you because there were no warning stickers? Just a thought.
I heard that cars stop running after they are removed... it's a safty feature. :D

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I intend to trade it, So it's their problem. Wonder what would happen if I sold it without the sun visors. Removed so the mirros in them will not hurt folks when they get in an accident. OH OH I have a No Nag, Oh Oh It has different bulbs, Oh Oh I guess I need to take ALL the MODs Off.

All in jest. To be honest I simply don't worry about such things.

But it looks nicer without them. :2:
Besides it's one more mod. for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Where is the 'won't it void the warranty' post?

Oh here it is, LOL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GripperDon said:

But it looks nicer without them. :2:
Besides it's one more mod. for me.
So, Grip, you were successful then? Any deets for us? Any pics of the outcome? Purty please?

I also wonder, for the risk averse of us, if you can buy replacement visors sans stickers. Then you could install the cya ones when you sell :>

·
5,268 Posts
CopperKat said:
Kopper Kat,

you are kidding, aren't you?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nissan has to put the stickers on because of federal law. Under authoritiy and direction of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, 49 U.S.C. 30101 et seq. (Safety Act), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established federal regulations that mandate certain warnings on vehicles equipped with airbags. Under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208 S4.5.1 each manufac turer must install airbag warning labels to the sun visors of all vehicles sold in the United States. The size, content, wording, diagrams, and even permanence of mounting are all specified in the standard.

As for removal, manufacturers, dealers and service stations are prohibited by the Safety Act from "rendering inoperative" "any element of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard..." See 49 U.S.C. 30122(b). This includes not removing mandated warning stickers. This prohibition does not extend, however, to private owners. So at least under federal law, there's no problem with owner's removing whatever stickers they want to - there are exceptions to this for emissions related stuff - but that's an EPA issue, not NHTSA.

As for products liability or lawsuits from a vehicle you sold, not too much to worry about there. Nobody on this board (unless their Ted Turner) makes enough money to interest most products liability lawyers. Instead, most will go after manufac turers for not making the stickers "permanent" enough. Afterall, why sue some little guy over his house (which won't play well to a jury), when you can go after a multi-billion dollar industry even on a flimsy case. Chances are that the manufacturer may settle just to make the parasites, 'er make that products liabilty lawyers, go away.

·
5,268 Posts
Jim C

great explanation!
And that was my point - due to some crazy litigation lawyers we have to put up with crapy stickers......WHY? Make no sense to me.....

·
4,664 Posts
The same reason we need laws, we have stickers... Common sense, isn't common. What I think is a complete waste of taxpayers money are laws that are the result of someone whining about something, but are not enforcable. So then laws and stickers are created to reduce liability. We told them, it's not our fault they're too stupid to heed the warning!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts