Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone open up a Murano sun visor to do the flop down repair?

I am thinking of opening mine up to se if i can make the rod solid so it will not flop.

Any fabricators out there willing to share ideas?

Thanks
Rodney

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried but didn't make it too far. The mirror/light part comes out easy enough, but after that there's not too much to work with. I was able to push the fabric up enough to get to the side where the rod is located. If you're feeling saucy you could probably stretch the fabric enough to try and get the hard visor parts out. I didn't want to see if I could remove and replace while keeping the final product looking nice.

My attempt at tightening the visor up involved using a screw against the rod; I knew that once I did that I wouldn't be able to move the visor up and down anymore (the threads on the screw would eventually wear a groove into the rod, throwing me back into the situation I'm sure you're in now), but it only held the visor in the up position for a week at the most. As far as I could see, there was no way to tighten the rod in the visor - however, this may change if you can get all of the fabric off. I don't remember what material made up the inside of the visor; possibly a stiff foam, maybe some sort of plastic at the rod area. I have thought of some ideas to try and fix it but as soon as I start thinking about them in more detail I realize new ways for the visor to fail. :8:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
To repair it properly you will have to get inside and the fabric will have to be removed to do that. Mine is still good but if it were to fail, I would probably remove the fabric without trying to save it. Once repaired, I would find something at a fabric place like Michael's that would come close. I might even switch to artificial leather. I think it would look nice!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've replaced my visors twice, the next time would be at my cost. I have an idea about fixing them but don't really want the need to. I think putting a cable clamp over the rod and tightening it with a machine screw and nut to cause friction might work. Maybe not pretty but if it works, a lot cheaper.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
I'm thinking that putting a small bolt (about #10) through the visor front-to-back next to the rod, and putting a washer on each side of the bolt would probably do it. Just tighten the bolt until the washers generate enough friction on the rod to keep the visor from drifting. Not cosmetically perfect, but not a major issue either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magnets

I have installed sticky back magnets on mine and it works to hold everything up. One set on headliner and one set on visor attract to each other and hold everything in the up position. I will no longer use the visor but at least it is no longer falling down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just fixed my wife's driver side visor today. It now works great.I opened it up and installed two self tapping screws, one on each side of the silver spring plate (has a tab). The tightened screws made the rod meet more resistance, now I'm in control of its position. I just sewed material back together.

p.s. I followed the pictures posted on how to open the visor. 30 minute fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a binder clip similar to the above photo but placed it on the front of the visor with top clip facing forward and bottom clip folded back. It held the visor up OK but still drooped a little, then slipped a small piece of 1x lumber material to hold it firm in upright position. If you need to lower the visor, remove the wood block and then the clip if you want it to drop completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts