Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sunroof is acting up!!!
I tried to fully open the sunroof today and it only opened about a third of the way even though the slide switch was in the fully opened position. I've tried it over and over again but seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it opens the back vent and then doesn't close. Then it closes then opens a third of the way and then closes and then the back vent opens.
Now it won't even close at all. It just cycles between opening a third of the way or the back vent ( without even touching the vent switch).
Has anyone else had this problem???
Is there a reset switch or a default parameter that I can try?
Will be calling the dealer Monday to get it fixed if there is no simple solution.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No simple solution IMO.
Get thee to a dealer.

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Pancho,

What year is your MO? There is a way to reset the sunroof (it is in the Service Manual and has been discussed in the sunroof thread before). It simply involves holding the switch for a certain period of time but I lost my manual when my hard drive went so I cannot help you there. I am sure one of the ther members can look that up for you to try though....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zebelkhan said:
Pancho,

What year is your MO? There is a way to reset the sunroof (it is in the Service Manual and has been discussed in the sunroof thread before). It simply involves holding the switch for a certain period of time but I lost my manual when my hard drive went so I cannot help you there. I am sure one of the ther members can look that up for you to try though....
Zebelkhan,
The year is 2003, with approx. 105 K on it. Yes I did look in the owners manual and tried the reset option but it did not work. I even tried disconnecting the battery in hopes that this may reset to factory default with no luck. It almost seems that something is blocking the tracks.
I am thinking .... I took my Mo to the dealer last Friday to have recall work done (Stone guard for gas tank & back seatbelt recall) and it hasn't worked since. Hmmm ... could it be something they done?
Warrenty is up ... looks like I'm going to pay for this one !

Thanks for your help anyway !!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I doubt they would have done anything to mess up the sunroof.

It really sounds like the switch is acting up. I have not looked but most cars with a sunroof have a way to manually open or close the thing. If you pop the map light/sunroof switch assemply and look under it, you should see a place on the motor where you can insert a hex key and turn it manually (I would disconnect power to do this though) If You can turn it all the way to open or closed position then problem is your switch, otherwise it is the motor or the cable assembly. I would do this test before taking it to the dealer, to cut down on the cost of them putting things in "just to try".

Any access to a junkyard with a MO in it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sunroof

Just back from the dealership. They looked at it for about an hour to see if it was a quick fix. They are baffled. They asked if I could leave it with them as they are making calls to tech support and hopefully can fix it with over the phone tech help.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Once you talked about "sometimes it does this" and "sometimes it does that", on an electromechanical device, you took it out of the realm of a guaranteed quick fix.
Usually in these situations you have two choices.
1- fool with it. And keep fooling with it.
2- replace the unit. And be done with it.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Intermittent problems are most difficult to diagnose. They require “knowledge” and “logical thinking”. Unfortunately both are rarity in most Nissan dealerships…..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Got a call from the dealership regarding my sunroof. They claim the memory mode of the motor has failed and the complete motor has to be replaced.
Price ..... $795.00 plus installation and taxes ....... approx $1000.00.

Had them close the roof and left. Will be looking at auto wreckers for a used one.
Anyone out there that has one? Anyone out there that has a sunroof that never uses it and would like to sell it to me????

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I acknowledge that cars of today are safer, more friendly to the environment, have more creature comforts and are generally built to a higher quality standard than cars built a generation ago. However, one of the trade-offs of these enhancements is a $1,000 repair bill to repair a balky sunroof. What would have required the replacement of a $5 limit switch twenty years ago now requires a $800 memory module to be swapped out. The price of progress?

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe

disagree with price of progress. This is simply "price gauging". I do not believe that the parts cost more than $100 at most. Somebody is making 800% profit. Just not sure who…..

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Agree... how far out of warranty is your MO? Are these the procedures you tried yourself to reset it?

MEMORY RESET PROCEDURE
1. Please observe the following instructions while confirming the sunroof operation.
NOTE:
Do not disconnect the electronic power while the sunroof is operating or within 5 seconds after the sunroof
stops. (to wipe-out the memory of lid position and operating friction.)
2. Initialization of system should be conducted after the following conditions.
- When the battery is out or connector is disconnected while sunroof is operating or within 5 seconds
after sunroof stops.
-When the sunroof motor is changed.
- When an emergency handle is used.
- When the sunroof does not operate normally. (Incomplete initialization conditions)
INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE
If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to
normal.
1. Push the TILT UP switch and start the tilt up operation.
2. Release the TILT UP switch once, press the TILT UP switch again. Keep pushing the switch until tilt lid
pops up.
3. The glass lid will move toward tilt up direction and will be stopped mechanically, and then it will be automatically
fully closed. (Keep pushing the switch during this operation)
4. Release the switch again. and push the TILT UP switch within the first 10 seconds. (Keep pushing the
switch)
5. After 4 seconds. the class lid will be automatically operated in sequsence of �gslide open�h �¨�gslide
close�h�¨�gtilt up�h�¨�gtilt down�h.
6. After the glass lid stops. release the switch after 0.5 seconds. (Keep pressing the switch during this operation)
7. If PRE-SELECTED switch operates normally, this initialization is done.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris,

No doubt, there is definitely price gouging going on. There is no way that memory module costs $800 when the entire sunroof package costs $1,000!! I agree with you when you say the module most likely costs less than $100.

My point was that a generation ago the sunroof would have been controlled by a set of off-the-shelf limit switches that would have been easy to repair or replace for the typical backyard mechanic.

Case in point... Look at the damn radio. We can't even replace the radio with an after-market unit. Something as simple as the radio has now become a permanent, non-upgradable component of the car. Progress?

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Extended warranty looking better all the time.

This ($800 module) is a rip off.

I can't believe how many things Nissan is doing to entice me to stay with them in the future.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Homer,
Interesting what you said. This is my first Nissan and I am very happy with the car performance and “feeling”. However, I have never had so many problems with any car previously (except FIAT, but it is a completely different story).

I purchased extended warranty only because of CVT. I think it was money well spent. I will see tomorrow.

For what it is worth extended warranties may become standard for modern cars…..

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
FIY, unless you have gold prefered plus (or whatever) extendedn warranty, sunroof is NOT covered....:3:

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:
Kris,

No doubt, there is definitely price gouging going on. There is no way that memory module costs $800 when the entire sunroof package costs $1,000!! I agree with you when you say the module most likely costs less than $100.

My point was that a generation ago the sunroof would have been controlled by a set of off-the-shelf limit switches that would have been easy to repair or replace for the typical backyard mechanic.

Case in point... Look at the damn radio. We can't even replace the radio with an after-market unit. Something as simple as the radio has now become a permanent, non-upgradable component of the car. Progress?

-njjoe
Joe,

you have a point......

·
5,244 Posts
zebelkhan said:
FIY, unless you have gold prefered plus (or whatever) extendedn warranty, sunroof is NOT covered....:3:
I believe I have Gold (or prefered? - have to check at home), 100k miles/5 years. CVT made me do it. Most of the equipment is covered.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
ok, after some HARD WORK, i managed to get the nissan's warranty plans for Canada scanned . i think it is also available online but just incase ......

Link to Warranty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts