Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My factory power sunroof ('05 SE) appears to be leaking. Water is coming from the edge of my headliner where it meets the pillar trim plastic and also running down that trim and soaking my carpet.

I've read there are drain tubes but I don't know where to find them or how to clear them. I suspect they are clogged.

I used a shop-vac to suck up the water that was accumulating on the drivers-side of the black plastic tray on the front edge of the sun-roof.

I don't have a garage or carport so I need to fix this ASAP!!

Any suggestions on how to get the water out of my carpet would also be helpful!

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aww cripes! It's raining again!

I looked through the service manual (just downloaded it) and about the only way I can see to access the drain lines is to remove the headliner! This can't be the ONLY way can it?

I looked in the edge of the sunroof with a flashlight but because of the wind/air shield I can't really see any drains or holes or anything. I can't believe the manual doesn't have a procedure for doing this...seems like a common thing, no?

I searched around the net and people were recommending shoving anything from weed-whacker trimmer "string" to speaker wires up the tubes to clear a blockage. (These were forums about other vehicles) I can't seem to even find the opening and the diagrams in the manual I have are really horrible...

Please someone tell me that I don't have to remove my whole headliner!

I would appreciate any help with this! My car is getting stinkier by the minute!

I'm freakin' out, man!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I put a tarp over it. I saw in another forum that the Nissan Frontier sunroof drains into the wheel well. So, I disassembled the wheel well. No drain tube.

I tried pushing a wire into the holes (I think they're the drain holes) at the front edge of the sunroof but it seems like it gets to a bend in the tube at the door jam and I can't get the wire to go around the curve in the tubing...

I'm thinking I may have to drop the headliner to access the tube and clear it with an air compressor...?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You may want to try fish tape used by electricians, flexible but more rigid than speaker wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open the sunroof and stick your head through it. I sit on the center console, yes, it's fairly awkward and makes you look completely ridiculous. :D

At the front edge and you'll see a spring-loaded wind deflector (black) that goes the width of the sunroof.

Directly under that is a gutter that catches the water that leaks past the seals when it rains.

At either end of the gutter (left and right side of the car) you'll see little rectangular vertical notches....about 3/8" x 1/16" in size. Those are the drains.

If you're lucky, there's just some leaves or something in the gutter that haven't actually made it into the drain tubes. Then you can just vacuum or brush them out.

I just had the problem again this week and wasn't so lucky...

This worked for me:

First I made a "tool"... I cut a wire coathanger open, straightened it out and folded about 1/4" of the cut tip over with pliers so it wasn't sharp at the end.

Then I poked it in the drain in a straight line with the gutter. You wanna go pretty much directly to the left or right. Pushed gently until it didn't want to go any more...I think it was a little over a foot that would go in. Pulled it out and then poured water into the gutter with a water-bottle to make sure it drained freely. The water will pour out somewhere behind the front wheel.

Seems like there's gotta be a better way but that's what I did and it worked...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Will confirm those are the drains.

IF you have access to a compressor you might try compressed air on the drains. BEFORE you use compressed air be sure to first clear away debris that may be residing close to or on the surface.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks yall...I looked last night but it was getting dark, I'll tackle it Saturday when I have some bright sunshine as we are not expecting rain here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
leaking sunroof

Same problem with my 2004. The weep holes are on the left and right front corners, use a flashlight to find them. Cleared my driver side out with weed wacker line, keep moving line back and forth. Should see the water dripping out the front wheel wheel once cleared. Cost $3.00 to try.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
If you use compressed air, don't wear good clothes, and eye protection might be a plus. Likely to be some smoooge shooting back out the drain hole under pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same problem but I think mine is leaking through the antenna Finn on the roof? Does anyone know if the fin is screwed down or 2 way taped. Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a leak on the front passenger side. I compressed the pillar and is snapped out. then remove the sun visor and the handle that above the door. When you remove the front pillar you will notice a hose about 5/8" a 1/4 flexible hose(one used to hook a water line to a fridge) you can insert that from the top front and it will go through the drain hose if blocked and you can blow air into it.
But my case is that the drain hose was not hooked to the drain nipple, so I wet it inside the drain hose, and inserted into the drain nipple. Did a test and voila no more water spillaged. Checked the Front driver's side and it was OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after further investigation it wasn’t the antenna on roof leaking it was one of the sun roof drain holes plugged. It was plugged right where it goes out side to the rear wheel well and was backing up coming in the roof down the the inside panelling.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nissan has been very sloppy with their sun roof drain hoses. I sent them an email and they replied the usual BS, I replied them back telling them I was not looking for compensation but that Nissan is doing a lousy job on quality control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My drainage holes were so clogged they were impossible to spot.

Sooo, FYI they are in the very corner of each front side and are plain black like the surrounds. It looked like there was only plastic there, but i found them when i got all water out of the area fully then poked around with a bit of wire or a skewer.

I ran a thin wire down them then blasted with an air compressor and now they run clear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts