Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several of 3rd generation Murano owners have experienced moonroof leaks due to either a drain and hose clog or a hose that fell away from the interior body. Here is what I will be doing quarterly as maintenance on my moonroof. There's lots of information on the internet
Sunroof/moonroof maintenance:

1). Run water to each drain in trough (just use a cup of water or water bottle-it shouldn't take much). The drains are located in the 4 corners of the sunroof/moonroof. Make sure water is draining well around the wheel wells.
-If there is a slow drain, my husband thinks that maybe a vinegar and baking soda solution might work. (we haven't needed to do that b/c just had hoses/draines cleaned out).
-Running a weed eater line down the hose or using an air compressor could work, but I've heard too much force could disconnect the hose, so be careful. We tried both when the lines were clogged and were not successful - had to take to a body shop to clean them out.
2) Once the clog is cleared, you will need to clean the trough of the moonroof. Mine was gross with tree dust/debris and road grime. I wiped out the troughs of old grease (it was black from road grime, etc) and vacuumed out debris. I also used an electric parts cleaner on the troughs and once thoroughly clean, I re-greased with white lithium grease. I'll attach pictures of those items along with before and after pictures. I watched several DIY videos on-line before deciding how and what I would use to clean the moonroof.

Supplies used: 1) old rags and microfiber towels 2) drop cloth to protect inside of vehicle (mostly front seats, console, and dash) - debris can drop and there was overspray from parts cleaner 3) painter's tape to hold drop cloth if needed 4) Q-tips and pipe cleaners for crevices 5) shop vac 6) Electric Parts Cleaner 7) White Lithium Grease

I hope this helps! Have a great weekend!

Side note: These pictures are gross. We bought the '15 Murano used a few years ago. The first owner had a personal lease, but they must have lived off a dirt road because there was lots of dust in the engine bay and I suspect the grime was in the sunroof, we just didn't notice it before purchase. I'm meticulous with my vehicles, so this one is now clean - probably hasn't been this clean since it was new.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somehow, the before and after pictures, along with products used ended up in a different thread. Watch for Rust

1 - 2 of 2 Posts