Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad the Mo gets better gas mileage than other mid-size SUVs, as marginal as it may be pennies do count.
I just read this on CNN....

Big gas price surge soon?
Report says pump prices could shoot up by about 25 cents a gallon in coming days to new record.
March 4, 2005: 8:11 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Gasoline prices could rise by about quarter a gallon in the coming days to new record levels, according to a published report Friday.

USA Today, quoting energy experts and analysts, reported that a gain of 24 to 28 cents a gallon is possible as stations scramble to keep up with recent increases in oil and wholesale gasoline prices.

An increase of 24 cents a gallon would put the average retail price of a gallon of regular gas at about $2.16 a gallon, according to the Energy Information Agency, the Department of Energy unit that tracks prices. The EIA's survey put the average price at $1.928 in Monday's survey, up 2.3 cents from a week earlier.

The EIA's earlier record of $2.02 a gallon for regular was hit in May of 2004.

Oil prices hit $55.20 a barrel in trading Thursday, which was within 47 cents of record intra-day levels for crude oil. But prices retreated about $2 a barrel since that high. Gasoline futures set a record at $1.5450 a gallon.

The paper reported that even higher prices could be ahead as increased warm weather driving pushes up demand.

Tom Kloza, senior analyst at the Oil Price Information Service, told the paper that retail gasoline prices lag increases in wholesale prices since Christmas by about 25 to 28 cents a gallon. He says he believes the record prices won't come until the latter half of March.

But Peter Beutel, president of energy tracking firm Cameron Hanover, said a spike of 24 cents a gallon could happen in the coming days.

"It's going to be brutal, horrendous," he told the paper.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Maybe this will finally push people to buy responsible cars rather than the huge f***ing trucks that they're currently driving.

The MO is still evil, getting under 25mpg, but it IS the lesser of the evils because not only is it better than most in it's class for fuel economy, but the emissions are better than a lot of CARS, even ones that get better mpg ratings.

(I'm still ashamed that I'm about to be an SUV owner (March 18th they dealership keeps saying) but until America starts importing cars that can tow, I'm stuck with it.)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
One positive aspect of higher gas prices is that we can fill-up with premium and it will actually cost less than if we use regular gas!

I have assumed two scenarios: One is with 5% mileage increase when using premium, and the other is 10% mileage increase. Break-even is about midway between the two. I have also assumed 20 cents difference between the prices of regular gas to premium gas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah as the price of gas rises, but the gap between grades remains constant (assume 10 cent per grade) it becomes relatively cheaper to purchase super.

Gas prices in my area rose 17 cents overnight, but I filled up today anyways, expecting prices to rise even more soon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have never noticed and mpg improvement with my cars based on the grade of fuel assuming you aren't pushing the performance envelope. If the car pings with the lower grade then modern cars adjust the timing which could reduce the efficiency of the engine. If you pay 20 cents more for premium and use 500 gallons a year you spent $100 more/year for the gas which may be compensated some by better mpg.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Maybe this will finally push people to buy responsible cars rather than the huge f***ing trucks that they're currently driving.
Thanks for that sterling endorsement, Corin.

And please be so kind as to let me in on the secret vehicle you have in mind that I can use to, say haul my tractor, logs, and other things aroung the farm.

Inquiring minds want to know how we can conform to your idea of ecological responsibility!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zebelkhan - Do you (or anyone else) actually notice in MPG between premium and regular? I know this has been discussed at length in the forums, but the conclusion I got was that there's generally no apparent difference in performance or efficiency. But if you're experiencing a difference, I want to know.

Given that I'm driving 100 miles/day commuting, I've been using regular to save my pennies... which do add up with that amount of mileage. :eek:
BTW I've been averaging about 19-20.5MPG, overall=19.8 on about 3,500 miles. All the hills and city driving keeps it down. I hate to watch the trip computer mileage drop from 23 to 18MPG as I'm stuck in stop and go city traffic and then try to bring it up again. :3:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I do notice a lack of response when I step on the gas when using regular as opposed to super. As for mileage, the difference is slim. I get between 14-15mpg using regular, driving all city. With 93 octane super, I get between 15-16mpg, again all city.

Using regular will have no adverse effects on your engine though, so its fine to use.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Funny how the price rises AFTER the election. Is Bush still dipping into our reserves? He did that to keep prices down... now its time to pay the price. Round of applause for our President! :29:

I guess it was bound to happen either way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If that's the case then we really need to congradulate the President on the market and job gains.........:D

Blue chips rally to June '01 highs

Feb. jobs data fuel gains

By Mark Cotton, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stocks ended sharply higher, with blue chips surging to their best level in nearly four years, in a week paced by solid economic data including a better-than-expected February employment report.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average [$INDU] ended up 107.52 points, or 1 percent, at 10,940.55. On the week, the benchmark index rose 0.9 percent.

The Nasdaq Composite Index [$COMPQ] rose 12.21 points, or 0.6 percent, to 2,070.61. The tech-rich index advanced 0.25 percent on the week.

Meanwhile, the S&P 500 Index [$SPX] climbed 11.65 points, or nearly 1 percent, to 1,222.12. The broad gauge posted a 0.9 percent gain on the week.

Advancers outnumbered decliners by more than 3 to 1 on the New York Stock Exchange and by a 17 to 13 score on the Nasdaq. Big Board volume was about 1.6 billion shares while1.8 billion shares traded on the Nasdaq.

All but three Dow components posted gains, with Johnson & Johnson [JNJ] , Boeing Co. [BA] , DuPont [DD] and Caterpillar [CAT] and McDonald's [MCD] all posting 52-week highs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, gas prices raised .20 cents a gallon last night here to $2.10 a gallon for regular which is the highest it has ever been here. Wouldn't you know I needed gas, cost me $38 to fill up. But I just keep thinking in my last vehilce which was a ford Excursion it would have cost me around $90 to fill up so I guess I'm doing better. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mozman said:
zebelkhan - Do you (or anyone else) actually notice in MPG between premium and regular? I know this has been discussed at length in the forums, but the conclusion I got was that there's generally no apparent difference in performance or efficiency. But if you're experiencing a difference, I want to know.
On the average I get between 30 to 50 miles more per tankfull with premium than without. There is also a major difference (I think) in the power and performance. The MO feels noticably slugish with regular gas.
I guess the two go hand in hand. When it feels slugish, the natural tendency is to push down on the gas pedal, which increases fuel consumption.
I tried regular gas a few times and at these gas prices it is not worth it anymore. I am back to 91 Octane!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another point to ponder is sensor lifetime.

Higher grades of gas are less likely to be "bottom of the barrel" bargains, and will likely do less to coat sensors with harmful deposits that require early replacement.

I could probably find a way to run the Mo on Kerosene, after starting it with gas, but the false economy of having to replace sensors and fuel delivery components because of contamination gives me good reason not to pursue this avenue.

With every deterioation in any sensor that reports to the computer in an OBDII based internal diagnostic system comes decreased performance and ultimately higher fuel consumption.

In many respects, it comes down to a "pay me now or pay me later" scenario.

·
4,601 Posts
Ohio Murano said:
Well, gas prices raised .20 cents a gallon last night here to $2.10 a gallon for regular which is the highest it has ever been here. Wouldn't you know I needed gas, cost me $38 to fill up. But I just keep thinking in my last vehilce which was a ford Excursion it would have cost me around $90 to fill up so I guess I'm doing better. :cool:
And there I was, just after meeting with your Dad, thinking, I'm low, I'll get some cheap American gas... Well, OK, I did get premium, but that's what I paid. And I was thinking... This isn't so cheap!

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, I bet anyone with nav who needs to go to the Cracker Barrell in Belleville MI will end up on the wrong side of the highway, just like I did. My iPaq Nav and MS MapPoint both put me here... Apparently, it's the north side of the highway!

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am really, really, trying my best to feel sorry for you guys/girls...But honestly I can't feel any sympathy. :2: It is still very, very cheap...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well what do you mean by cheap? Is it twice as much over there? Just wondering. :cool:

What you think Grip?????

·
Registered
241 Posts
In comparison I filled up at 79.9 pence per litre this morning...First conversion would make that 1.53696 dollars per litre. Second conversion would make that 1.53696 dollars per 0.254172 liquid US gallon. Third conversion would make that 6.0469288513290212926679571313913 per 1 liquid US gallon.

So as you pay $2.10 per gallon that is exactly 2.8794899292042958536514081578054 more expensive over here...And that is actually taking into account the cheapest dollar conversion rate 'ever'!!!!

Grip could you please check whether my fomulei are correct and accurate?
:D

Private thought: And there is me driving a BMW V12 @19.9mpg and soon also a Murano @23mpg... I must be crazy...

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, the gas there has always been very expensive. Something about it being closer to the middle east and shipping costs being less... no, wait, that doesn't make sense...

What do you think Grip?

At least it's not like you have to drive 500 miles in a day to pick up some rims..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jaak,

I think it would have been cheaper to buy new one's if gas was that high here!!!

dejongj,

I don't think anyone woulld blame you guy's if you threw a buch of car's in the harbor. I think something like that has been done before. Seriously I don't know how you can afford to drive anyhwere.

What do you thik, Grip?

:cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
jaak said:
Yeah, the gas there has always been very expensive. Something about it being closer to the middle east and shipping costs being less... no, wait, that doesn't make sense...

What do you think Grip?

At least it's not like you have to drive 500 miles in a day to pick up some rims..
No not to pick up rims, I would use a courier for that....But I do have a 189 mile commute into work :3: So glad I work from home two days a week...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts