Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my 03 SE in to check out a squeak/chirp which I heard when driving at low speed over any bumps. Figured it was suspension related. turned out to be the notorious CT air scoop that got mangled on a parking curb, and developed a squeak due to being pushed up against the CVT cooling fins. $120 later, its quiet and ready to get smacked again...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
What kind of squeak/chirp? Was it loose? Mine is all bent up too, but I just got under there with a jack and a pair of pliers and straightened it.
What did you do for $120/ Replace it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The squeak/chirp occured as the car went over bumps/otholes, and sounded very much like a suspension noise--but was indeed the loose air shroud.

I believe that my $120 bought me the same repair that you did--no new parts. You should pay yourself $120.

Here's a questin for you:

What's the deal with these K&N air filters? do they really deliver some added performance/fuel economy? It is hard to believe that that the OEM's wouldn't use such a filter if it were so easy to get a few % HP or MPG? does the improved perf. come at the cost of objectionable increase in noise level?

Maybe I should post this question on the big board.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
scoop/K&N

I have used them, but not on the MO. More expensive initially, but a lifetime filter More efficient? I really don't know. Noisier? I don't think so.
Thanks for the info on the scoop. I'll have to take mine off to straighten it right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Last year I had what I thought was bearing squeal when I let off the gas coming to a stop with the engine idling, at about 2,500 miles. Took it in to the dealer for what I thought would be a warranty fix.

Turned out that the shroud had gotten banged on a parking stop a few weeks prior (I remembered the thunk) and had been pushed up against the transmission. It took a couple of weeks for the paint to wear through, and for the metal-to-metal contact to make noise as the engine shifted slightly on the mounts.

Dealer didn't charge for the diagnostic time - it was up to me to pay them or do-it-myself, at the mechanic's suggestion.

Just unbolted the shroud (not loose - just bent) and straightened it out - no more noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts