Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an SE for its manual-mode tranny.

I want to swap the SE's "firmer springs & struts" for the SL's.

Questions:
1. How many struts (shocks) sum total?

2. Can the above SE & SL parts be directly swapped?

3. How many hours sum total does the shop manual allow for dealer to Remove/Reinstall the above parts?

Any SL owner wanting my SE parts, please Personal Message me. Must agree to sign a contract to ship your parts, in like condition, within seven days after receiving mine.

Jim R.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ro9397 said:

Questions:

3. How many hours sum total does the shop manual allow for dealer to Remove/Reinstall the above parts?

Any SL owner wanting my SE parts, please Personal Message me. Must agree to sign a contract to ship your parts, in like condition, within seven days after receiving mine.

Jim R.
Overall the difference is not that dramatic between SE and SL. I would suggest not swapping it out. In a few months as you probe the limits of your Murano, you will wish you had the SE suspension.

That said the parts should be 100% swappable, plug and play. The difference between SL and SE I believe are firmer struts in front, firmer shocks in rear, and firmer rear springs. Front springs are the same across the line I believe, but I will have to check my parts list to make sure.

If you want to switch parts, keep the front strut assembly together, will save having to compress the spring again - although I am not sure you want to ship a compressed spring, it might be extremely dangerous.

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
ro9397 said:

Questions:

Jim R.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sport tuned suspension

Hello. I recently upgraded my nissan murano rims to 20" infiniti chrome rims. I drive a polish pewter sl model 2003. Is it necessary to upgrade the suspension, struts/shocks, and springs. Also does tire rotation regarding miles (7,500) change because I have low-profile tires?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The heavier wheels might benefit from firmer struts/shocks, but none are available for the Murano yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sport tuned suspension

Eric L. said:
The heavier wheels might benefit from firmer struts/shocks, but none are available for the Murano yet.
Thanks E. So by having heavier wheels my struts/shocks will suffer, darn.Keep me posted when those parts are available for the murano. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Having heavier wheels adds to unsprung mass, and those are the components which put the most stress on the suspension. This is why all the manufacturers are trying to build aluminum suspensions (such as the rear setup in the Murano) - lower unsprung weight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
ljsoriano - re rotation....the 7,500 mile period is reasonable...a 20" tire is most likely a "directional" tire...it is designed to rotate one way only...tires can only be rotated front to back...back to front on the same side...look for an arrow on the sidewall...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know what type of suspension the Infiniti FX-45 uses? Since their rims are 20" and ride on low-profile tires I wanted to know if it is possible to get the same parts. Is it recommendable in this case to even upgrade suspension? Thank you

·
5,244 Posts
1. FX suspension most likely will not fit to MO.

2. I am not sure if going from 18" to 20" rims will increase mass. The rims will most likely be the same weight or close. The tires - you will use lower profile so less rubber. I would advise to check the tire specs for the weight difference. It may be not so significant.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yep - I agree with Kris. Just because the wheel is bigger doesn't automatically mean it is going to be heavier. It is possible - but it might not even be worth mentioning. The wheel might weigh more - but the tire could be less. The difference could be less than you think. Now, if they were chrome... :)

Since you have both wheels - throw them each on a bathroom scale and see what the difference is.

FX is based on the RWD G35 - Murano is based on the FWD Altima. I'd be willing to bet everything is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kris said:
1. FX suspension most likely will not fit to MO.

2. I am not sure if going from 18" to 20" rims will increase mass. The rims will most likely be the same weight or close. The tires - you will use lower profile so less rubber. I would advise to check the tire specs for the weight difference. It may be not so significant.
Thanks for all of your input. I will enjoy my Infiniti 20" Chrome rims and tires.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There seems to be a misconception that going to a larger wheel tire package doesn't always add weight. Many people incorrectly believe that when you go from the Murano's 235/65/18 to, say, the FX's 265/50/20 , since you've decreased the size of the tire's sidewall that you might save enough weight to offset the penalty of a larger wheel AND wider tire. The problem with this is that most of a tire's weight is in the tread surface, far less of it is in the sidewall. So the little savings in weight in the sidewall is nowhere near the additional weight of 30mm of width.

Now, you can try to make up for this by selecting a lighter wheel than stock, but then you sacrifice strength, especially if they're just cast aluminum.

Even if you find a super light forged wheel that makes up for the extra weight of the tire, remember that the extra rotating mass (tread surface) is as far from the axis of the wheel/tire as it could get.

Weight is the enemy of all things performance. On the other hand, they make chrome dubs with real diamonds in them for Escalades, so what do I know...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The additional unsprung weight also results in marginally increased acceration times and braking distances.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric L. said:
The additional unsprung weight also results in marginally increased acceration times and braking distances.
Eric,

actually in this case the unsprung is not that important. Rotating is the key word (and it happens to be unsprung too...)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:

Eric,

actually in this case the unsprung is not that important. Rotating is the key word (and it happens to be unsprung too...)
Yep you got me, rotational mass is the key here. Unsprung weight has a bit more to do with ride and handling.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
and then the question arises........

is this lost performance, while provable, seen in the real world or is it just theoretical?
Certainly on a fine tuned machine, say a 911t, a change from an aluminum forged wheel to a steel wheel would completely upset the apple cart.
But would it even be noticed on a Ford F350?

And the question has at least two levels.
Will the change to a 20" infiniti wheel be noticeable if you keep the ratio very close to stock? Will it be noticable?
And even if it does make a difference, will it be in an area of performance never seen by the average driver who rarely , if ever, approaches a vehicles maximum performance limits?

I don't know.

I know that IF you are into racing, it doesn't take much to upset things. A pound of air in the tire can do it.
But I also know that on a big HD truck you can hardly tell if the tire is down 10 pounds.

Where does the MO fit?

On the one hand I personally do not believe that the MO has a sophisticated suspension. So I think it will take quite a bit to upset it.
But on the other hand, I agree with HALO.........
The diference in weight between the MO wheel and tire and the FX wheel and tire COULD BE a LOT!

So tell us how it works out!

Homer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts