Nissan Murano Forum banner

switching to synthetic oil

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Ramdram 
#1 ·
are there any special extra steps that need to be done to switch from regular to synthetic motor oil? or do i simply drain the old oil, replace the filter and put the synthetic oil in?

:confused:

thanks!

#2 ·
Just do it..........

However, most of the folks would agree that it is a good idea to wait till 6k to 10k miles....

#3 ·
I agree with your statement that you should wait until 10K miles to change to a synthetic oil to facilitate the break-in process. However, this does not explain why Corvettes, Porsches and M-B AMG cars come from the factory with Mobile One.

How do they get away with it?

-njjoe

#4 ·
Having been a Corvette driver for some years, I always thought that waiting a few thousand miles before changing to Synthetic on a modern car made no sense.
Just put the stuff in immediatly I reasoned. Modern engines really do not wear away metal in the first miles.....not any more.......
Then I bought a Murano.
For various reasons I did not run Synthetic in the Murano.
And guess what?
At about 7000 to 10000 miles my MPG dramatically improved! What has that to do with Synthetic oil?
Well it was now as if the engine was now "broken in"...........
It seems everybody here has had the same experience.
The engine is definitely "looser" after 7-10K.

So, there appears to be justification for waiting before changing to Synthetic.

JMO

Homer

#5 ·
I had several new cars in recent years from several manufacturers - Ford, GM, Mitsubishi, Chrysler and now Nissan and Infiniti. All of them "became loose" after approximately 6 - 10k miles. My wife even told me that her FX "really started going" after 15K miles! And we never put synthetic in it. go figure.....

Anyway, I would still wait till 10K. Just my opinion.

#6 ·
" had several new cars in recent years from several manufacturers - Ford, GM, Mitsubishi, Chrysler and now Nissan and Infiniti. "

OTOH, my Chrysler Minivan got the same MPG on the 2nd tank of gas that it did on the last, some 7 years later. 24.3 MPG in both cases. That's all non interstate, but HWY driving. It had Synthetic from it's first oil change on.....

Homer

#7 ·
hfelknor said:
For various reasons I did not run Synthetic in the Murano.
And guess what?
At about 7000 to 10000 miles my MPG dramatically improved! What has that to do with Synthetic oil?
Well it was now as if the engine was now "broken in"...........
It seems everybody here has had the same experience.
The engine is definitely "looser" after 7-10K.

So, there appears to be justification for waiting before changing to Synthetic.
I switched to full synthetic at 3750 miles (first oil change), and guess what? At about 7000 to 10000 miles my MPG dramatically improved!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, it won't hurt anything on a modern engine.

#8 ·
According to Mobil, you can switch to synthetic anytime (some high performance cars come with factory fill synthetic, and almost all European cars do as well). But there is also the school who says you should wait until the engine has broken in before switching over (usually anywhere after 3000 miles, but on the Maxima BBS we always went with the second oil change at 7500 miles).

I switched to synthetic in the Murano at 7000 miles. No problems at all. On my Maxima, I switched to synthetic at 50,000 miles, and also had no problems.

Mobil One 5w30 all the way for me.

#10 ·
Although I waited till about 6k miles to switch. I recently read an article that stated that most modern engine, if driven in city type traffic (varying RPMs) are fully broken in (rings seated) within the first 200 miles. I also noticed that my power and fuel efficiency increased dramtically after about 10K miles.

#11 ·
switching back for to allow break-in?

please don't laugh.... :p

I know this may sound dumb, but I just want to take care of my mo (I have a tendency to keep cars for a long time)...

I recently got a new mo, changed the oil first at 1500 (older cars had the break-in oil, not sure about mo, but did it anyway). However, full syn was used.

I knew somewhat about the break-in concept, but always thought the period was like 700 to 1000 miles (I guess I was off by a whole digit).

So should I do another change ASAP to switch back to regular? to help the break-in process untill 7000 - 10000? basically, if there is any chance of hurting the car then I would want to fix it..... thanks.

#12 ·
Re: switching back for to allow break-in?

yyyyyy said:

I know this may sound dumb, but I just want to take care of my mo (I have a tendency to keep cars for a long time)...

I recently got a new mo, changed the oil first at 1500 (older cars had the break-in oil, not sure about mo, but did it anyway). However, full syn was used.

I knew somewhat about the break-in concept, but always thought the period was like 700 to 1000 miles (I guess I was off by a whole digit).

So should I do another change ASAP to switch back to regular? to help the break-in process untill 7000 - 10000? basically, if there is any chance of hurting the car then I would want to fix it..... thanks.
If synthetic oil is good enough for Corvettes and Porsches, I am sure it is OK for your MO.

Read the posts in this thread. Everyone has their own opinion as to what is the best method. However, none of us are Nissan engineers in charge of engine operation.

Engines are built to higher standards than there were just a decade or so ago. The machining tolerances are tighter, alloys more precise, and quality is better controlled. Engines routinely amass 100,000+ miles. You didn't see that in the 80s.

If synthetic oil was detrimental to the break-in process I am sure there would be warnings posted either in the Owners Manual or elsewhere.

The break-in process is influenced more by your driving habits during the first 1,200 miles than by the oil in the crankcase.

Keep the syn oil. Enjoy your ride.

-njjoe

#13 ·
Re: switching back for to allow break-in?

yyyyyy said:

No I do not think you need to switch back to dino oil. In the latest issue of one of the car mags (it might be Motortrend) there was a Q&A on this topic and it was agreed that most breakin occurs in the first few hundred miles for the car.

#14 ·
I Don't disagree.
But, what is the basis for the increased MPG after 7-10K?
Many of us that keep records can prove that this does happen?
could it be the driver who, after having a good time, just drives in a more restrained manner after familiarity takes over? (Sounds like Marriage.........)

or what?

Homer

#15 ·
hfelknor said:
I Don't disagree.
But, what is the basis for the increased MPG after 7-10K?
Many of us that keep records can prove that this does happen?
could it be the driver who, after having a good time, just drives in a more restrained manner after familiarity takes over? (Sounds like Marriage.........)

or what?

Homer
Well, at just under 10k on mine now, I can see a regular increase in my MPG over time. I'll post soon with updated results in my other thread (my excel spreadsheet tracking all kinds of things). And if anything, I drive more agressively now that I did in the first 5k miles.

#16 ·
I saw improving mileage and/or power for about the first 30,000 miles. It just takes a while before everything is "as good as it gets". Only the first few hundred/thousand miles are important enough that you need to baby the car.

#17 ·
I have used AMSOIL synthetics in several vehicles for about 11 years now. AMSOIL pushes for 25,000mi oil changes - but suggested to change more frequently in brand new cars to switch out metal contaminants. I think the big thing is to change the oil at least once or twice in the first 10,000 miles to remove any debris that may move about the motor as byproduct from manufacturing. From that point on - everyone has their own opinion on frequency of oil changes.

I ran synthetic in my Maxima and now my Murano - and so far haven't seen a change in MPG in either. Maxima had 60k mi when traded and MO has 15k on now. I change my filter at 10k miles and filter and oil at 20k miles. (When changing filter only - add a qt to compensate for loss of removing the filter)

But I already know this just drives tons of people crazy - the mere thought of putting 20k miles on an oil change. Only thing I'll add is I run about 20-21k/yr, so it's about every six months for me to crawl under the car. Wouldn't recommend going longer then 1 yr between changes - lower mileage cars don't get heated up often enough to remove water contamination.

My 1996 Dodge Avenger still runs great @ 150,000 miles using the same method of oil changes - so I can't be doing anything drastically wrong. :1:

#19 ·
zebelkhan said:

You have low mile cars so you may not even be there but do you think ypu will have any issues with warranty work due to infrequent oil chnages?
If within the warranty period, I would definitely change oil at least as frequently as Maintenance Schedule 2 (7500 miles), not because it must have it (clearly with Amsoil or even Mobil One it does not) but to limit your liability for warranty claims. As we have read here, Nissan is impossible when it comes to warranty claims.

#20 ·
The warranty issue is always the big concern. I have read the AMSOIL policy - they themselves warrant their product for 25,000 mile extended drain intervals in non-turbo motors. (12.5k for their filters) It is my understanding that if something happens to your vehicle - it must be proven that it was the oil itself that caused the damage. IF proven - AMSOIL will replace the affected machinery. By and large, usually a lubricant problem comes from - for example - your oil pump dying and yet you still drive the vehicle, or letting the motor run dry. etc.

In the first years that I used it - I had it pumped out into a sterile container and sent for analyzation. When my Avenger had 85k miles, the analysis came back that the motor was still in "break in" stages and the oil had not yet needed to be changed. That was with 20k miles on the oil. I don't let it go longer then 20k, and I've been watching more closely with the nissans - but still no problems at all. (Huge improvement in fuel economy in the Avenger)

The other thing is it doesn't create the considerable amount of excess waste by going through so much oil. Very few people look at or are concerned about the the waste product of oil changes when it only costs $1-$2/qt to purchase regular oil. The fear of paying for new equipment (new motor) far extends over the concerns for waste and the environment when it comes to the average person's pocketbook.

I have found recently that extended drain intervals are not as bashed by the dealerships, or as hard to explain as when I first started using AMSOIL in 1996.

#21 ·
The usual oil wars

Hi, Folks. Interesting subject. I have come to regard oil changes and frequency as similar to toothpaste brand claims.
Europeans I know, look askanst at our consumerism and the placebo effect as related to frequency of changes. All oil meets specs. My suspicion is that we have been propagandized by big oil companies to the extent that we lose sight of oil's effect on engine life.
That being said, I am going to switch my Civic Si's engine oil and MT fluid to Royal Purple soon. Car has almost 50K on it and maybe I will get some more power from it when hitting the VTEC. That K@N air filter definitely worked last year, in spite of the overblown claims of MFG'er.
We use this car for short trips and overniters to keep miles off Murano. A bit noisy but very practical. :)

#22 ·
Frequency of oil change is really dependent upon the way the car is driven and the environment. Short trips and city driving are the hardest on the engine and require more frequent changes while long drives and freeway driving do not. Unfortunately we have this thing called "factory recommendations" and "coverage under warranty" that we have to consider first...:3:

#23 ·
I agree - I think the American public has been hosed in a way by big oil companies - and the warranty issue is definitely a concern. Usually if someone buys AMSOIL from me - I tell them what I do - and that they should do what they are comfortable with.

Anybody come up with a nice clean efficient way to change the filter on the murano. Broke one of the plasic pins holding the side-guard on between the front wheel and the filter trying to get my hand in and take it off. Also had oil drip down all over the frame with the way the filter is located. Any ideas or "techniques" would be great. :) Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.