Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a problem...and need advice

Just got my MO back from oil change from the dealer, and although I specified for them to use my own oil I had in the back (synthetic), they did not use it. They must have used regular oil instead.

Will this do damage to my engine or can I wait till my next oil change to switch back? I have 22k on the engine, I switched to synthetic at 12k miles, and this would have been my third oil change since switching (I do it every 5k miles)

Advice please...before they close on Saturday!

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Won't hurt a bit.

Little known fact: "Synthetic" base stock is "Regular oil".

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hfelknor said:
Little known fact: "Synthetic" base stock is "Regular oil".
Thank Homer. Is that true even when the box says "fully synthetic"?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hfelknor
Little known fact: "Synthetic" base stock is "Regular oil"

Yes Homer, but there is a lot of organic chemistry between "regular oil" and synthetic base stock!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yes Z, that is true even for a "full synthetic".

There are no known compatibility issues.

None.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Homer is right. Absolutely no harm will be done. Synthetic and conventional oils are fully compatible. What do you think the synthetic blends are? They are usually a mix of 80% conventional and 20% synthetic (some have even less synthetic than 20%).

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. I was not really worried so much about the compatibility of regular vs synthetic oil, but more on the wear on the engine. I was under the impression that once on synthetic, the wear on the bearings would take a certain pattern, different from when using regular oil, and switching back and forth would cause excessive wear. But if that is not true, then I am a happy man..... :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Base Stocks

The base stock is the bulk of the oil. The base stock lubricates internal moving parts, removes heat and seals piston rings.

Motor oil base stocks can be made from: 1) Petroleum, 2) chemically synthesized materials, 3) a combination of synthetics and petroleum (called para-synthetic, semisynthetic or synthetic blend.)

A petroleum base stock consists of many different oil fractions that form the final product. Generally, molecules of a petroleum base stock are long carbon chains that can be sensitive to the stress of heat and boil off” at relatively low temperatures. Engine temperatures break down these molecular chains, changing the physical properties (such as viscosity) of the motor oil.

The difference with synthetic base stocks is that molecules are uniformly shaped, which makes them more resistant to the stress of heat. Because Synthetic Motor Oils possess these uniformly shaped molecules, they have a low “boil off” point. Thus, their physical properties (such as viscosity) do not change.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thats why this forum is great

I was always under the impression that once you switched to synthetic, there was no going back. You learn something new every day. Thats what makes this forum such a great place!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts