Nissan Murano Forum banner

Tailgate area Rattle / creaking noise

19K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Anahernandez957 
#1 ·
Hi fellow Murano peeps! I just got my 2015 Murano, and love everything, but started to notice that there's a rattling noise coming from the tailgate at lower speeds over rough roads, speed bumps, and going up and down driveways. I've read about the 2nd gens having this issue, but anyone else having it on their 3rd gen?

I've narrowed it down to the tailgate itself, just not sure where in or on the tailgate. I've tried placing pieces of fabric along the bottom plastic, and the hatch latch, but those wren't the culprits.

Thanks!

#2 ·
How do you know it is the tailgate and not the trunk area? Had a gen 2 and never had noise from hatch, only loose sub and jack stuff in trunk area.
If you eliminate all trunk possibilities, take the interior panel off the hatch and see if it gets louder. Most likely you will find a loose connector or broken tab or something in their.

#6 ·
It's the tailgate latch mechanism. I had it on my 2018 and recently had the entire mechanism replaced under warranty. Plus when they tried to tighten it, the tailgate wouldn't latch.

What I did was have my wife drive, and I crawled into the trunk as she drove over our rough streets and speed bumps. It was easy to tell it was coming from the mechanism and I attached a stick note so the shop knew where it was coming from.

I would suggest you do the same to isolate the rattle.

#7 ·
I have a rattle emanating from the rear latch as well. However I'm out of warranty and nothing I can find on it is loose. I stuffed a piece of an old shirt back there so the latch catches it as it closes. The horrific sound is gone. Eventually I'll figure out what to do about it...

#8 ·
I have the same problem on my 2016 Platinum! It still under warranty but I haven't had the time to get to the dealer. They'll probably pull me out of this lease in February so that's another reason why I've just been living with it. After posting this I just tried wrapping a few turns of electrical tape around the U shaped bracket that the latch engages with and no more rattle!!!

#11 ·
I beleive I know exactly what you mean. I had the same issue. As mentioned above, try a single wrap of black electrical tape around the latch on the bumper area. Not to much tape though or the door wont latch. This solved the problem for me perfectly. Hope that helps.

#13 ·
Not saying it wouldnt work for some people, but moving the latch back on the bottom with a star burst wrench didnt work for me. I tried that in combination with adjusting the rubber stoppers on the hatchback to tighten up the door but it didnt work. In my case at least it seems to be a sizing difference of only a matter of milimeters between the lath on the bumper and the “claws” on the tailgate latching mechanism. Only the tape on the latch actually stopped the issue for me. Whatever works I guess.

#16 ·
My rattle started when the car was about 1 year old then it went away. It started again after the 2nd year. I tried a small piece of black electrical tape on the receiver u-bracket for the latch. I had to force the tailgate to close the first time but it did work. Don't put too much tape on or it won't close by itself.

#22 ·
Been battling a rattle in the tailgate for quite sometime. Found this forum and thought I'd give the electrical tape a try. Guess what? No more rattle. Had my car scheduled at the dealer in a couple of days but now can cancel. Thanks to all you folks for your advice.
If it wears and starts rattling, move the latch instead of taping for permanence. I think my wife’s car I moved it instead of taping but I’ve taped multiple cars and some wear out quickly and some don’t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.