Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried replacing the tailgate strut with anything other than the Nissan part?

I was quoted $128 each for the struts from a local Nissan Dealer.

Browsing for an alternative part online I found one listed by autopartsmerchant.com, but its description reads "Left & Right For Worldpac Toyota PUP Fleet Camper Shells" for ~ $24.

At first glance they look similar, but I don't know what the size or load capacity of the propose part is, nor can I find any specifications in the 2003 Nissan Murano ESM.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hpthorn-

$256 is quite a bit of dough for a pair of struts. I don't blame you for looking elsewhere. However, I wouldn't put just anything back there.

The good news is the rear lift-gate is a composite structure - plastic skin over a metal subframe. So it is lighter than an all-metal unit.

I checked a few sites and located the proper struts for $77.38 each at WorldPartsExpress.com. That's almost half what Nissan charges (no surprise there). Here's the link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...12&make=25&model=Murano&year=2003&catalogid=2

There may be other sources that are cheaper.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
The struts on the rear hatch of my old CRX started weakening. Dealer wanted a LOT of money for them to install. Said that he could sell me just the part for a lot cheaper and I could to it myself, but to DEFINITELY get a genuine Honda strut.

Talked to my mechanic (that I trust) and he said BS. He recommended the ones that he buys which weren't the cheap ones from Shucks, but were still about half the price of the Honda ones. He happened to have some that fit my CRX currently in the shop, and replaced them on the spot. If I remember correctly, he charged me for the parts plus $15 for the install (took him about 10 mins). Of course, my family has given him a lot of business, so he treats me pretty nice.

Anyway, the point is that I would try something cheaper, try to install yourself, and if it doesn't work you haven't lost a lot of money.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hpthorn said:
Has anyone tried replacing the tailgate strut with anything other than the Nissan part?

I was quoted $128 each for the struts from a local Nissan Dealer.

Browsing for an alternative part online I found one listed by autopartsmerchant.com, but its description reads "Left & Right For Worldpac Toyota PUP Fleet Camper Shells" for ~ $24.

At first glance they look similar, but I don't know what the size or load capacity of the propose part is, nor can I find any specifications in the 2003 Nissan Murano ESM.
I had to replace one of my rear struts last year as it blew out a seal and the oil came out. I will have to check but I am sure that I paid $60-75 for one strut. Which was cheaper than a strut for my olde caravan.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
The industry calls them gas springs.
Gas springs are usually spec'd by the lifting force and length open and closed. They are made by many different folks and certainly not that expensive.
Here is one.

EZ Lift

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The front hood struts will also go out at some point. I've replaced them THREE times on my 97 Maxima and cursed bittery at the notion that Nissan didn't just give us a metal rod to prop up the hood. Yeah I know its "cheap" but it always works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts