Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that, when pulling out from a stop, turning sharp left and going uphill, I'd here a clunk that sounded like something rolling around "in the trunk". Just happend once every couple of days and at the same intersection.

Then on Thursday, things got scary. On the way across town in the morning, I heard an occaisional tap and the odd clunk. Usually when stopping or starting on a hill with the wheel turned or going around a gentle curve. At lunch I took a little drive to capture some coordinates for a GPS app I'm working on. Going slow with lots of pulling into and out of parking lots. The clunks got louder. To the point that I could feel them through the floor. Felt for the world like a shot ball joint or a tie rod end about to fall off.

So I called the serivce dept. and described the problem. Service manager said, of course, to bring it on in and they'd take a look. Well, I got there after the worker bees were all gone. But the service manager was there. He said to leave it and they'd take it for a ride the next day. I told him they would find nothing (because I knew how they'd test for what I had described). I said "You'll probably take it over the bumpiest road you can find. Right?" When he said I was right I told him they'd find nothing that way.

So he went for a ride with me. Nothing. Absolutely zilch.
When we got back and were discussing the sounds, one of the service supers overheard our conversation. Said that another MO was giving off similar sounds and, after three days of checking, tightening, and testing to no avail, one of the mechanics gave the steering rack mount locknuts a little crank. No more pops or clunks.

Couple of weeks later, another came in. The mechanic immediately cranked on the locknuts. No more noises.

Thinking about the nature of locknuts, it made sense. Turn one by hand and you generate quite a bit of heat. Turn one with a power wrench, like on an assembly line, and you generate a bunch of heat. Which would cause a lot more friction. Which would give a higher torque reading, possibly preventing the assembler from even seating the nut.

So I took the MO in yesterday. Five minutes after the mech drove off he was back. No more pops. No more scary thunks.

Service mangler says that's going on the list of first things to do when a customer complains of pops or thunks from the nether regions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is actually a TSB about this. I think that it is detailed on this message board. Many of us have had this same problem.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Until Alternators started dropping like flys (The end of a long hot summer?) the TSB 03065 that is described here

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2003/NTB03-065.htm

was probably the most common defect.

I was amazed. I liked the way the car drove before. (I didn't like the Thunks) but after it was tightened, and I took it back AGAIN to have the steering wheel set straight ahead, it REALLY drove nice.

Homer

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
dont try to tighten those bolts by hand....i tried it and no dice....you need a super high power impact driver to get those nuts tightened to the spec they call for. after the shop hit my nuts ( no pun intended ) the noise was gone.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I got the same Tsb applied when i send in the car for the 7000 miles maintenance

Basically i complained about the aligntment of the vehicle is off and slightly pulls to one side when braking.
And also mentioned that there is a slight clunk when i turned at low speed.

So the service guys did a free aligntment, cover by the waranty.
Also they apply the TSB posted above per my instruction (i printed out a copy of the tsb). Fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is extraordinary that we are finding the steering rack bolt issue even on new Muranos. The TSB was issued nearly a year ago, you would think they would reprogram the robots to the correct torque setting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This morning I was driving when my right, front tire area starting making a "thunk" sound with turning and even the slightest bumps. I happened to be close to my service dealership and drove it there thinking that something may have not been right since it's only been a few days since I had an alignment, tire rotation, and, of course, a new alternator. They drove my car to see if they could replicate the the sound and only made it out the service drive before coming back and raising it on a rack.

As it turns out, a screw on the sway bar had come loose causing the sound. The mechanic told me it was the 4th Murano he had seen with this problem. He tightened it and all was fixed within a few minutes. I'll have them check it each time I get something done just to make sure it won't do it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts