Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading that tons of you avoid Armor All for the interiors like the plague.. How come? Am I missing something? :)

Can someone recommend something that can be just as shiney and protect well?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, don't use Armour All because it has petroleum products in it.
That's not good for the long term with vinyl.

I don't want a high sheen.
I use Formula 303.

High sheen?
Try butter.:p

Homer

·
Registered
717 Posts
303 seems to get more of a gloss finish to it if you keep adding layers. Personally, I'm with Homer, no gloss is just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have heard the stories about armor all being bad for interiors as well. However, I've used the product for many many years now and have never had an issue with it. I think theoretically it might be bad, but in practice I think it does a pretty good job of protecting the dash (haven't had any cracks, ever).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Has Armor All changed or does it still leave a shiny surface ? A shiny dashboard causes many reflections from the windshield and makes a new car look like a car you might find on a used car lot. New cars interiors are low sheen, not a shiny vinyl look.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the dash is so big that i use one of those swiffers on a handle to remove the dust but i don't know how i would reach the far parts by the windshied to treat the dash let alone wash the windshield. that's only accessible by the young thin people. :toothless

i would take it into a detailer every now and then but i'm sure i'll get it back with a dent in the console aluminum or a scratch on the stereo/heater readout. i know since it's happened already at the dealer.

and the murano manual says don't spray cleaner on the rear view mirror or fluid could go down into the electronics and cause problems. damn i hate cleaning and detailing cars. i would rather be out driving. :roadtrip:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
I have heard the stories about armor all being bad for interiors as well. However, I've used the product for many many years now and have never had an issue with it. I think theoretically it might be bad, but in practice I think it does a pretty good job of protecting the dash (haven't had any cracks, ever).
That's what I was thinking. The car we are going to trade in on the Murano we have had for almost 5 years. Have used Armor All every weekend for the past nearly 5 years and still no cracks, and the dash etc still look like it did when I received delivery of the vehicle...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I to have been using Armor all on all my cars for over 20 years and have never had a dash crack on me. I still wonder where all the concerns keep on coming from on this product. I use it on my interior and on my tires.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I used it for years also on the dash and the tires and never had any problems with it.

I don't care for the high gloss on the interior anymore. I couldn't imagine the huge dash in the Murano being all shiny. You wouldn't be able to see through the window.

I wouldn't use it on leather. I'd stick with a leather cleaner and conditioner.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I am (used to be) an Armor all user but I have found the dashboard on the MO to be a lesser quality plastic so I am not 100% sure how it will be long term. I have not used anything on it yet but I think I will switch to 303 or something like that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've always used armor all for my car interiors.. My explorer of 9 years looked brand new the day I traded it in.. so far the Mo looks the same with Armor All.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
IMHO the truth of the matter is that with today's plastics in cars I would bet that if you did nothing the dash would not crack. They are just so much better then they were in the 70's when the would crack from any light.

However with that said I use AA (non-shine formula) not so much to protect but more for cosmetic reasons.

I have never had an issue with it.

Curious, why would it be bad using a petroleum product on a petroleum product? Plastic is a petroleum protect.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Curious, why would it be bad using a petroleum product on a petroleum product? Plastic is a petroleum protect."

Depends on what you are trying to do.
For instance road tar is a petroleum (by) product.
You can completely disintegrate it with gasoline. Gasoline is a petroleum product.......
And years ago, petroleum products WOULD partially meltdashes.
I used Armour all on my 78 Z car and it removed the'texture".
Of course ALL z car dashes cracked in those days (Of course we never told the Detroit guys that our dashes were a POS....:p)

Probably doesn't matter nowadays..

But I guarantee that if you are using a petroleum product on your dash...............your dash collects a lot more dust than mine.

Homer

·
Registered
438 Posts
HuskyFan said:
Has Armor All changed or does it still leave a shiny surface ? A shiny dashboard causes many reflections from the windshield and makes a new car look like a car you might find on a used car lot. New cars interiors are low sheen, not a shiny vinyl look.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I use the low shine and like it.... much better that the regular stuff and IMHO not as cheap looking. Believe me the MO's plastic interior needs all the help it can get.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Low Shine Armor All

While visiting sunny south Florida last Christmas I came across a bottle of "Low Lustre" Armor All. I bought it for my MO and MB dash. I do not like a glossy dash and this fills the bill. Really what I want to do is protect against cracking and fading. Normally during the summer I use a sun shade (custom, of course!).
Has anyone ever had a problem with dash boards cracking from sun??
Pinspector

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
HuskyFan said:
I used to have a bottle of AA low sheen. Perfect for a dashboard, I once made the mistake of using a regular high sheen formula on another car with a large dash. I was blinded by reflections. Now I look for that low sheen product in all the auto stores and can't locate any low sheen. Maybe it's no longer made??
:rolleyes:
Bob1

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Suggest a google on interior vinyl get opinions

Lot of good (?) info out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts