Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously considering purchasing a Murano and test drove one today. I was very impressed with everything from the looks (outside and inside) to all the features and performance. I floored it a few times in S mode on the Interstate and was going 80 in seconds and glanced over at the salesman....who looked very concerned, and holding on tight. But I did not realize I was going that fast until I looked at the speedometer. My wife loved it too and did not even drive it. It handles like a car, is very solid feeling, very stable, smooth, I could go on and on like with my run on sentences.
OK, on to my one concern/question. I am 5'10, average size/weight. I noticed extra pressure under my leg, before my knee. Then I noticed that the seat bottom ended at that point, so the weight of my leg was pushing down and causing the pressure. I then got into both my cars and the seat bottoms come almost all the way to my knee (behind knee actually). I don't know if this would be uncomfortable over an extended drive (test drive was about 20 minutes).
Has anyone who owns a Murano experienced or noticed this? Has it caused discomfort? I would really like to hear about comfort on longer trips from any of you owners.
Thanks for comments and feedback, it really helps to have all the information on this site.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was initially concerned about the length of the seat cushion when I first purchased my car but it has never been a problem. I'm 5'8 and have been on a 5 hour drive each way and never even noticed it. Now I don't even think about it.

·
4,664 Posts
I'm 5'10" as well, but haven't noticed a problem... You can adjust the seat! Well I assume you can, mine's a power seat. Don't know if it's available without them in the US, it's standard in Canada.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat adjustments

All the Muranos in the U.S. have power driver seat standard. I did not even think to see if the seat bottom adjusts or slides forward/backward. I have seen some other vehicles with power seats that adjust that way. Can you tell me with if that's an adjustment I missed? I know the seat is 8-way adjustable, but don't know what the 8 ways are. I only used the control to move the whole seat backwards, and then recline it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The whole seat slides forward or backward, but there is not any extension of the seat to provide more support under the knee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I test drove both the SL and SE again yesterday, didn't notice any difference. Both are very comfortable. Didn't think the seats lack any surport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I routinely take my SL AWD to Tahoe ski area (3.5 hours each way) and haven't really felt any discomfort due to the seats. I'm 6'1". I do know what you mean though since my old car had a seat which can partially pull out forward to give extra thigh support.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'm 6'1" and didn't feel any discomfort in that area of the leg. but, i did what i think knowone knows about. the driver seat can be adjusted in hight (power seats only). yeah, that's right, you can sit higher or lower. before i test drove it i was sitting in it for about 45 minutes playing with all the buttons and nobs and levers...everything. i was playing with the seat to see how far back it can go then immediately jumped in the back seat to check the room. well, in doing so, i tried to see if the seat would go up AND IT DID.

this should help you. to releive the pressure and even it out, adjust the seat lower. and that should do it!

·
Windy City MO :)
137 Posts
Re: Seat adjustments

jls said:
All the Muranos in the U.S. have power driver seat standard. I did not even think to see if the seat bottom adjusts or slides forward/backward. I have seen some other vehicles with power seats that adjust that way. Can you tell me with if that's an adjustment I missed? I know the seat is 8-way adjustable, but don't know what the 8 ways are. I only used the control to move the whole seat backwards, and then recline it.
Thanks.
I'm 5'10", 200lbs., and just recently took a trip to Minnesota which is a 7 hour drive from Chicago. I've made this trip several times in different cars and I'd have to say driving in the Murano was the most comfortable ride. I had no complaints, no body aches, no problems. I could have driven a few more hours without a problem. The next time you drive one, take 5 minutes and play with the power seat adjustments.

·
Registered
777 Posts
jls - I'm a Big Boned Boy 8) at 6'3" - 295 lbs & just love the seats. I have so much room & very good support. As an added benefit, even with the seat adjusted to me, that back seat is very spacious!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had my new MO for 36 hours now and although the seats are very comfortable and spacious, I'm a little disappointed with the bolstering. For example, when taking hard corners or tight exit ramps I'm noticed myself sliding off the seat and having to use my legs to brace myself (a little disconcerting when I'm having to use my right leg to brake and brace at the same time).:13:

Granted, I could take the corners a little slower I suppose :rolleyes:, but where is the fun in that -- especially when the handling and lateral stability of the SE model is so tight. I've found I can remedy this to a large degree if I tighten my seatbelt to the point where it's digging into my collar bone uncomfortably, but I would obviously prefer not to have to do this. Short of replacing the seats (or installing 4-pt seat belts), does anyone know of a remedy for this? Maybe something you could put on the seats to make them less slippery?

In the meantime I'm planning on buying one of those seatbelt cushion things to attach to the shoulder belt and praying that my 230lbs will eventually wear a comfortable divot in the seat that I won't slide out of anymore...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm a pretty skinny guy (5' 11" 140lbs)
The seats are fairly comfortable to me (It takes me awhile to get it adjusted right.)
The other day, as an experiment, I pulled out of our street, accelerating to 30 really fast as I did a 90 degree turn, like I figured the seatbelts locked and held me firmly in place! The more I leaned forward, the tighter the lap belt held, it works really well and keeps me from sliding. It even does this when I'm getting off a ramp on interstate (Going 75 and then saying SOB! THATS MY EXIT! and trying to slow can to 30 so you don't fly down into the trees to a firey death below can be fun.. :D)

·
Registered
27 Posts
JLS, I know exactly what you are talking about. I am 6' and 250lbs. Believe it or not but the seat (what your actual ass sits on) was what made me buy the Murano over the Envoy. My car is an Olds Intrigue and the seat is probably the most comfortable I've ever sat in. I always complain that carmakers don't make a supportive large adjustable seat, except Mercedes who has an adjustable seat seperate from the backrest. The seat in my Intrigue comes to just below my knee. The seat in the Envoy came half way and I felt as if I was going to fall out of it....it felt like driving while sitting on a ledge!!!

The seat in the Murano is in between the Intrigue (large) and Envoy (small). I will say that it is supportive, for me at least, but if I could nit pick, I think it could have been longer for us long legged freaks. But compared to all other SUVs, I have no complaints.

I sit with the seat all the way back and the pedals all the way in as my legs are pretty long. I think you'll find no problem with the seats on long trips, it will take some time to get used to them tho. And it all depends on what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing it to a fully adjustable Mercedes seat, then don't, it wouldn't be fair.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am 5' 10" and just got back from a trip that was 7+ hours each way and the seats were very comfortable. No problems at all.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
6' 1" and we won't talk about my weight :D. Two 9 hour drives stopping for bathroom breaks and gas, no problems.

8-way power seats:

Seat Slide (forward and back)
Seat Back Recline (forward and back)
Seat Bottom Lifter - Front Tilt (up and down)
Seat Bottom Lifter - Rear Tilt (up and down)

Also manual Lumbar, will be powered on 2004 models which will make the seat a "10-way" power seat.

And let's not forget the powered foot pedals. Honestly if you can't get comfortable in the MO's seat, I don't know what it would take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Comfort

I rode my bicycle 12 miles to work yesterday for exercise for the first time in a while. Then this morning floated in stereo'd, air conditioned, leather seated Murano COMFORT to work. Like the sign I saw in a church yard the other day said, "Want to get rich quick, count your blessings".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts